Tdr-7Se "edelweiss" (Version 2)

13 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

Posted Image
Spoiler

LORE:

What came in the repair bay is this TDR-7SE, so much armor has been stripped and most of it is by it's right side. The right torso has suffered a powerful hit, providing it massive flower-shaped mark with a massive hole.

The FedCom Civil War was nearing it's end with the impending victory of Victor Steiner-Davion at the New Avalon, with this pilot's only regret is being unable to see it through the end.

With a thick German accent, he held upon Yuna Cassell's hand and begged her. There were tears with blood as he held upon her hand. As pilot's dying wish, Yuna patched up the Thunderbolt (TDR-7SE) the best she could, and allowed the pilot to return to duty.

The engine has been upgraded into a Light-Fusion Engine, there is only two jump-jets remaining, only providing jump distance of 60 meters. With only a few supplies she could get, the 'mech is protected by nine and a half tons of light ferro-fibrous armor.

Yuna had an idea of transferring the ballistic mount at the right-torso on account with the hole that was made by the impact. The primary weapon has been changed to a pair of Rotary Autocannon 2 provides a blistering amount of rate of fire, the use of which allows it to rip across vehicles, infantry, and battlemechs alike. Although with two tons of ammunition, it is usually exhausted pretty quickly. Due to the already fragile right-torso, she protected it by CASE.

For long range support it has 10-tube Long-Range Missiles situated at the left torso with a ton of reload. The Medium Lasers upon the torso have been upgraded to Extended Range Medium Lasers. And for close-range, and it has a pair of 4-tube Short-Ranged Missiles, one in each side-torso, and has a ton of reload. Against infantry and other lightly-armored vehicles, it has two Extended Range Small Lasers by the left arm.

[redacted]

If we're ever going to have second hero mechs, I'd like a ballistic Thunderbolt. I wanted it to be different in two ways; most missile hardpoints, and the high-mounted ballistic variant.

"Edelweiss" is the theme I chose, the unknown pilot is supposed to be German, and the 2x RAC2 primary weapon by the right-torso [redacted] with a high rate of fire. It should have a large "flower" by the right torso just by the rotary ACs, as it's supposed to be a powerful shell that gave it.

The Edelweiss or Leontopodium nivale while German, it is also used as a symbol by many other organizations, for it mainly symbolizes alpinism, this is why the variant has jump jets.

The story is relatively short, I based it from the late stages of the Civil War, at the second battle of the New Avalon.

So, what do you think? Is the lore okay? do you mind a ballistic thunderbolt? What about the quirks, what about the hardpoints?

Redesign Notes:
Spoiler

[POLL]

Edited by McValium, 08 February 2018 - 12:26 AM.
removed problematic parts

#2 TravelingMaster

• PipPip
  • Ironclad
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:47 PM

Objectively speaking, it would be interesting to have this mech in-game. That is all.

#3 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:49 PM

quite a bit of weapon systems in that. Maybe buying a Razer Naga is in order.

#4 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:49 PM

So many hard points on this tdr with decently varied options. Almost feels pay to win if its locked to hero status. Wouldn't mind it as loyalty variant for 2018 tho so ppl can get it eventually

#5 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

I'd recommend a more ballistic focus, something like a 20-30% RAC rate of fire boost. That way the mech could be known for dual RAC5s but required to use a standard engine to run it, yet get bonus DPS to make it worth it. Then maybe cut out some of the lasers or missiles to lower the hardpoint count and cut the quirks for non ballistics down a bit.

Most Thunderbolts tend to have a focus on one main weapon type, so I'm just suggesting that the trend be followed.

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

since when do IS 65 tonners get 12 hardpoints? lol

kindve an unreasonable request IMO

why not just fix the thunderbolts that already exist?

makes more sense to fix existing mechs than add new ones that make existing ones obsolete

Since this guy started it

he can ask for it

doesnt meant hell get it

Edited by Khobai, 07 February 2018 - 04:57 PM.

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 07 February 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

I'd recommend a more ballistic focus, something like a 20-30% RAC rate of fire boost. That way the mech could be known for dual RAC5s but required to use a standard engine to run it, yet get bonus DPS to make it worth it. Then maybe cut out some of the lasers or missiles to lower the hardpoint count and cut the quirks for non ballistics down a bit.

Most Thunderbolts tend to have a focus on one main weapon type, so I'm just suggesting that the trend be followed.

... i don't get it, Sarna net says that TDR has this achilles heel of overheating quickly because it has so many primary weapons. I'm also kind of worried about that RAC quirk you're suggesting, cause it can mean that it will do a LOT more damage before redline in which PGI is already wavering in buffing RACs.

Posted Image

I could just remove the lone energy hardpoint on the right arm since lorewise it was supposed to be heavily damaged?

View PostKhobai, on 07 February 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

Since this guy started it

Edited by The6thMessenger, 07 February 2018 - 05:04 PM.

#8 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

It'd be attractive from the sheer hardpoint count alone- 11 is tremendous, and it can get quite a bit of that into the torso if you ignore the arms, lending itself to stripped down builds. If those are high torso mounts, it gets downright scary.

#9 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 07 February 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

It'd be attractive from the sheer hardpoint count alone- 11 is tremendous, and it can get quite a bit of that into the torso if you ignore the arms, lending itself to stripped down builds. If those are high torso mounts, it gets downright scary.

I lowered it down. Yeah the ballistic is supposed to be high-mounts, like the flamer is highmount. I mean TOP-DOG is optimized, why can't EDELWEISS? :P

#10 Hauptmann Keg Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:28 AM

View PostKhobai, on 07 February 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

kindve an unreasonable request IMO

How so? There's tons of Clan mechs with 12+ hardpoints; some are even Battlemechs or stock Omni configs. What makes the IS so allergic to double-digit hardpoints, especially with IS engines/endo/ferro holding back tonnage/slot options?

Of course, a better option would be 'adding hardpoints to existing mechs', but I don't see that happening.

#11 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:39 AM

The hardpoints are spread and varied, so I think there's less risk of producing some OP build that's a direct result of filling every hardpoint. At most I see a AC10 or MG, SRM, laser brawler. Otherwise I expect ballistic/laser, ballistic/missile, or missile/laser.

#12 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:13 AM

I think having several loadout options from multiple hardpoints is fantastic. The thing that always bothered me about low hardpoint count is how large attack vehicles (choppers to main battle tanks) have increased their utility levels significantly in the last 50 years. Just because it comes with 2 ballistic sytems and 3 missiles doesn't mean it doesn't have 4 energy hardpoints that are simply not currently in use.

Clans just had massive hardpoint counts because the lions share came with XL vs most IS having STD. They were also designed to fight 10v12. Once again more generic IS quirks are the answer, not wave after wave of nerfs.

Edited by Hydrocarbon, 08 February 2018 - 09:13 AM.

#13 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

I've just got to ask, what makes you think PGI would create a new hero for a very old mech based off a player creation? Not saying that in a hostile manner, I'd just be very surprised if they did such a thing, especially since other F2P games actually charge very large sums of money for players to design game elements, and PGI has only semi-recently started adding their own, in-house mechs, which are infrequent and far-between. Plus there's some insane amount of mechs that TT players and lore-hounds still want in game that have yet to be added, which would seem like it should be PGI's priority. Not trying to rain on your parade, just pointing out what I see as logical. Kudos for the creativity though.

Also, the anti-German thing is a bit...well, really messed up. If you actually had the original theme based around some particularly controversial element of the German military apparatus during WWII, sure, I can see that, but just referencing an MG42? That's absurd. There's Lugers, MG42s and every other weapon used during every other war in history in countless games- if someone is offended by military hardware, they should not be playing military games, period. Hell, you can nuke people in Fallout, and that's massively popular...so it takes an extra extra special kind of snowflake to be offended by military history and historic military equipment. If you want to go down that road, every single culture or country ever should be equally offensive, we've all had atrocities in our histories- pretty much no matter where you're from, your country has probably done something completely evil and made use of military equipment to do so. You can't run away from history folks, you just have to learn from it.

(PS, I had family members that fought in WWII against the Germans, before anyone tells me I have no right to talk or have no clue what I'm talking about. They lost friends to German MG42s, but they never had a hatred for the weapon system itself, instead they had a deep respect for it's capabilities, and a hatred for the man who gave the orders for them to be used. There's a big difference.)

#14 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

View PostKodyn, on 08 February 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

I've just got to ask, what makes you think PGI would create a new hero for a very old mech based off a player creation? Not saying that in a hostile manner, I'd just be very surprised if they did such a thing, especially since other F2P games actually charge very large sums of money for players to design game elements, and PGI has only semi-recently started adding their own, in-house mechs, which are infrequent and far-between. Plus there's some insane amount of mechs that TT players and lore-hounds still want in game that have yet to be added, which would seem like it should be PGI's priority. Not trying to rain on your parade, just pointing out what I see as logical. Kudos for the creativity though.

Well, i just like theory crafting. Maybe they don't, maybe they will. Bishop got the K9, I got the Kaiju that does PPC arms.

View PostKodyn, on 08 February 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

Also, the anti-German thing is a bit...well, really messed up. If you actually had the original theme based around some particularly controversial element of the German military apparatus during WWII, sure, I can see that, but just referencing an MG42? That's absurd. There's Lugers, MG42s and every other weapon used during every other war in history in countless games- if someone is offended by military hardware, they should not be playing military games, period. Hell, you can nuke people in Fallout, and that's massively popular...so it takes an extra extra special kind of snowflake to be offended by military history and historic military equipment. If you want to go down that road, every single culture or country ever should be equally offensive, we've all had atrocities in our histories- pretty much no matter where you're from, your country has probably done something completely evil and made use of military equipment to do so. You can't run away from history folks, you just have to learn from it.

(PS, I had family members that fought in WWII against the Germans, before anyone tells me I have no right to talk or have no clue what I'm talking about. They lost friends to German MG42s, but they never had a hatred for the weapon system itself, instead they had a deep respect for it's capabilities, and a hatred for the man who gave the orders for them to be used. There's a big difference.)

I know right? All this for a {Godwin's Law}-LMG, {Godwin's Law}-Flower, and the common virtues of a soldier.

If that's the case, I can always downgrade it to a pair of LGR, make it more of an Alpine Rifleman.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users