50 replies to this topic

#21 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:29 AM

The amount if NA players I see on Oceanic is high, in fact many games I've seen more NA based players than Oceanic players on the actual Oceanic server just due to distribution of matches. Given I know roughly who is from where out if the people usually active when I play.

Some for sure but definitely not most, smaller percentage would have it unticked. Majority of NA players I know have it ticked.

#22 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:47 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 13 February 2018 - 03:09 AM, said:

With HSR etc.

Whether I am playing with 100ms to Oceanic or 300ms+ to EU - I really can't tell that much of a difference. Sometime when trying to drop a strike/coolshot it's a tad delayed but otherwise, it's nowhere near as bad as many claim is the "reason" they are not good.

Agreed. I see talk about ping a lot but I have never found it to make that much of a difference in this game. Now when the sharks are using their lasers on the cable that gets cut every other Tuesday and the ping starts jumping up and down from 250 to 400, then sure, but a steady ~250 is mostly fine for this game. Besides even if you have a good ping there are often times a bunch of other people in your match that don't.

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 February 2018 - 05:09 AM, said:

This is correct. Let's hope Australia has more playing population than East Asia and South East Asia combined.

I still think it might be better to just move the NA and EU servers closer to Australia and just have 2 servers. Just moving the Na one south a bit could help some. I would think it would help the actual target audience in the Americas too since it wold be more central compared to East Canada which is pretty far East for West coast NA and pretty far North for South America. Actually its not that uncommon for some EU guys to have lower ping than Californians. Not sure about the EU one but isn't it kind of North Westish a bit? But most importantly less seperation of the player base which I think would be better for the Aus guys than a bit better ping since sometimes there is just not enough people playing during their times. Not to uncommon for group queue to be completely dead because to few players online.

Edited by dario03, 13 February 2018 - 06:55 AM.

#23 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

View PostNothar, on 12 February 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

Right you pack of wombat floggers this is on a use it or lose it basis so i expect every true blue dinky dye man and his dingo to be online for a bender or 2. If your an Australian and you DON'T flog the Christ out of this server i'll be sh*tting tears.

Yep, genuine Australian slang used there...

But it'll likely be shite, because we have third ******* world level internets down here.

#24 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:29 PM

no more lag shield AUS targets on the US servers?

Posted Image

#25 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 13 February 2018 - 06:29 AM, said:

Some for sure but definitely not most, smaller percentage would have it unticked. Majority of NA players I know have it ticked.

I wager most of the East coast players don't use the Oceanic server. And that's where most of the continent's population is. Doubt the guys in the mid-West use it, either. West coast players, however, probably use the Oceanic server and avoid the EU server. While the West coast isn't as thickly settled as the East, it does still have a respectable percentage of the population.

#26 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

I play with guys from New York, Texas to South Africa, Russia & even Puerto Rico lol... Most have Oceanic ticked mate. I'm telling ya, not making it up.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 14 February 2018 - 02:45 PM.

#27 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

View PostEscef, on 14 February 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

I wager most of the East coast players don't use the Oceanic server. And that's where most of the continent's population is. Doubt the guys in the mid-West use it, either. West coast players, however, probably use the Oceanic server and avoid the EU server. While the West coast isn't as thickly settled as the East, it does still have a respectable percentage of the population.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 14 February 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

I play with guys from New York, Texas to South Africa, Russia & even Puerto Rico lol... Most have Oceanic ticked mate. I'm telling ya, not making it up.

It probably has more to do with when you play. A solo NA player that only plays during NA prime time wouldn't need it, and even if they did check it they probably wouldn't end up on it much. But NA players that play during Oceanic time which is early morning for NA will get games faster if they tick it. And then theres the people that play in international groups.

#28 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

View Postdario03, on 13 February 2018 - 06:47 AM, said:

Agreed. I see talk about ping a lot but I have never found it to make that much of a difference in this game. Now when the sharks are using their lasers on the cable that gets cut every other Tuesday and the ping starts jumping up and down from 250 to 400, then sure, but a steady ~250 is mostly fine for this game. Besides even if you have a good ping there are often times a bunch of other people in your match that don't.

I still think it might be better to just move the NA and EU servers closer to Australia and just have 2 servers. Just moving the Na one south a bit could help some. I would think it would help the actual target audience in the Americas too since it wold be more central compared to East Canada which is pretty far East for West coast NA and pretty far North for South America. Actually its not that uncommon for some EU guys to have lower ping than Californians. Not sure about the EU one but isn't it kind of North Westish a bit? But most importantly less seperation of the player base which I think would be better for the Aus guys than a bit better ping since sometimes there is just not enough people playing during their times. Not to uncommon for group queue to be completely dead because to few players online.

Yeah spot on. As long as it's stable it's relatively fine. Other games I can massively tell the difference but when you have a 1sec burn time on lasers or 1-2 sec flight time for ballistics, long as you lead well enough you're going to hit what you want most of the time.

I reckon if the NA server was moved a bit more central as many have stated, would help a lot for everyone across that whole area. Although not sure for AU improved ping, I've always found not much of a difference to NA servers overall despite their location. 20ms differences at best, again that'll be due to AU routing/cabling etc more so than locale within NA

#29 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

View Postdario03, on 14 February 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

It probably has more to do with when you play. A solo NA player that only plays during NA prime time wouldn't need it, and even if they did check it they probably wouldn't end up on it much. But NA players that play during Oceanic time which is early morning for NA will get games faster if they tick it. And then theres the people that play in international groups.

Bunch of US guys I play with it's late night for them usually rather than early morning (IE they haven't had 8hrs sleep and woken up)

So when it's 6-7PM my local time it's 1-3am for their local time, or something there abouts at least. So definately need Oceanic ticked no matter where you are in the US.

Also I see people like Father Bill playing in the morning (not continuing from overnight), assuming he is East Coast, pretty sure we've all had games on Oceanic before as with many NA/US guys.

Be interesting if PGI did put those numbers up or even a pie graph of the distribution. I think it would surprise people.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 14 February 2018 - 02:54 PM.

#30 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:57 PM

Put it in Hawaii (if that's even possible).

Seriously the time to give us our own server was 4 years ago when there was definitely a population to support it. This is another case of PGI giving us too little, too late.

If I play, I mostly play CW which is NA servers only anyway. It will make little to no difference to me.

#31 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:31 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 14 February 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

I don't think you're making it up. Also, to be fair, there are players that don't even know you can untick servers.

#32 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

haha yeah that's a valid point. Some probably have no idea it's possible, that would not surprise me at all.

#33 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:39 PM

I've always had Oceanic selected. A little over 200 ms ping from Europe to Singapore. But it's really right around what I'm willing to deal with -- if it goes up by 100, I'm not sure I'll keep playing there.

#34 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 14 February 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

Yeah spot on. As long as it's stable it's relatively fine. Other games I can massively tell the difference but when you have a 1sec burn time on lasers or 1-2 sec flight time for ballistics, long as you lead well enough you're going to hit what you want most of the time.

I reckon if the NA server was moved a bit more central as many have stated, would help a lot for everyone across that whole area. Although not sure for AU improved ping, I've always found not much of a difference to NA servers overall despite their location. 20ms differences at best, again that'll be due to AU routing/cabling etc more so than locale within NA

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 14 February 2018 - 02:52 PM, said:

Bunch of US guys I play with it's late night for them usually rather than early morning (IE they haven't had 8hrs sleep and woken up)

So when it's 6-7PM my local time it's 1-3am for their local time, or something there abouts at least. So definately need Oceanic ticked no matter where you are in the US.

Also I see people like Father Bill playing in the morning (not continuing from overnight), assuming he is East Coast, pretty sure we've all had games on Oceanic before as with many NA/US guys.

Be interesting if PGI did put those numbers up or even a pie graph of the distribution. I think it would surprise people.

A heat map of who plays around the world would be interesting and would make this theory crafting a server move easier. Any move would of course help some and hurt others but I think they could make it work since an increase to somebody with a low ping isn't a big deal. I checked some pings city to city to see about your statement on US location only giving around 20 improvement and yeah you would need to move it a decent bit to get better than that but it could be done. For instance something like Vegas would give someone in Sydney an improvement of about 60ish. However it would hurt somebody in Brazil by about the same. Now I don't know how many people play from Brazil but the NA server is actually the Americas server going by the MWOWC2016 regions so might not want to throw that off to much.
So I checked some other places like Kansas which is basically right in the middle of the 48, and that would help Aus by about 30 but hurt Brazil by about 40. However if you just go South a bit, down to Texas you get about the same 30 improvement to Aus and the Brazil ping is not hurt (probably due to main internet line routing). So, yeah, really can't say how much it would help unless we knew who was playing where and which way to lean toward.
Don't see a big move and reduction in server count happening but would be interesting to see that map though... And I do think at least moving the NA server south a bit could make sense, though apparently routing to Montreal is pretty good.

Edited by dario03, 14 February 2018 - 04:07 PM.

#35 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

Doubt the Sydney server will help by alot, and might even make things worse. I fished out some recent articles on Australia's efforts to wire up the country. Having a Sydney server has 2 problems for MWO:

1) International connectivity in and out of Australia is currently quite bad, relatively speaking. This will have implications on game pings for every player in MWO, IF the current SG server is removed in lieu. NA->SG and EU->SG will be better than NA->AU and EU->AU. Even SEA->AU will be bad. Judging by the numerous undersea cable outages over the months, it's only going to exacerbate ping problems.

2) How is the inter-city connectivity in Australia? Judging by the below articles, it's still quite bad even with NGN ongoing. So with a server in Sydney, how will the pings be for an Aussie player say in Perth, Darwin, Adelaide, Melbourne or Cairns? Good? Bad? An easy way to tell is if your intra-Australia P2P bandwidth speeds are good. Considering the size and more importantly sparseness of the continent, getting good NGN speeds across the cities is extremely challenging and costly. Judging by the articles below, it's not there yet, and the Aussie PM is even calling it a costly mistake.

http://www.bbc.com/n...tralia-41577003
http://www.news.com....be186334f70779f
https://www.bobinoz....uk-us-compared/

The last link had some interesting titbits from an Akamai report, showing a recent study on internet speeds by country. I link the Q1 2017 one cuz the recent ones require registration: https://www.akamai.c...vity-report.pdf

This report shows that SG is regularly in the top 10 when it comes to speeds and connectivity. Australia is somewhere between 40s and 50s depending on the data. Surprisingly NEW ZEALAND ranks higher than Australia, in the mid 20s and 30s. So not only might Australia's international connectivity in and out be poor, its domestic connectivity might be even worse.

Bottom line? APAC server, options like South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore are all good options for overall international connectivity, with even stronger domestic connectivity. Does it solve the pings of Aussie MWO players? Nope. Will a Sydney server solve the pings of Aussie MWO players? Probably but I suspect not 100% if inter-city connectivity sucks. Will it add value to MWO? Probably only a little due to bad connectivity into Australia.

But I hope it works out. I really do.

#36 wizwoz

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLincoln

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:22 PM

Can't get over how ****** your pings are down there!? How many players roughly are there in oz nz?

Feel spoilt with my European server and 24 ping haha

#37 _mungus_

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

High pings (normally around 300ms) definitely suck, particularly when you're running into other mechs and you suddenly start teleporting around.

Sydney server will be amazing

#38 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:18 PM

I live in Brisbane have Telstra NBN, i get a very stable 25 mps down and 3.5 up, get 18ms to Overwatch Sydney server.
WoWs US server i get 120ms, Warthunder US server 140-150ms, Total War Arena, 130ms, MWO US 240ms, MWO oceanic 140ms, its not my connection thats bad to MWO its their cheap poopy Cloud servers that are bad.

#39 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:46 PM

gimme, gimme, gimme a server in my own backyard. Well sydney is almost in my backyard as im from melbourne.

The current oceanic server has been good the last few weeks with 90 ms pings. I play on all three servers and dont notice that much of a difference.

#40 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

If I get a 200 ping when I'm playing I'm over the moon. I generally play with 300 plus regardless of server. Stupid Australia.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users