Comm Confusion

35 replies to this topic

#1 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:04 AM

There is an apparent problem in MWO game-play that strangely doesn't garner much attention - communication.
My observation, and comments on this will garner some hate-speak, but I expect and encourage this, as it may change my perspective.

Communication:
a. The game promotes 'teamwork' as the best way to win matches. You will find this in tutorials, in the forums, and in match communication.
b. We have all seen evidence of this in-game, many times, when an organized team rolls over a disorganized team.
c. The best way to both be, and stay organized is thru communication.

So, why does MWO not have a universal VOIP?

There are many players who use 'private' comms, like TeamSpeak, and talk among themselves during a match, while the rest of the team is left in the dark as to movement, target, defense, or short term objectives.
Even if a player does not have a mic., they will benefit from hearing other players intentions and observations, and they can participate more as a unit.
I realize some players like to use 'private' coms for whatever reason, but that flys-in-the-face of the whole 'teamwork' concept.

Why can't everyone use the built-in VOIP for MWO, so that communication between players is universal?

OK, I'll get down off my soap box and prepare to receive some rotten tomatoes.
Peace

#2 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:37 AM

Because people use what they are used to using, they also often have TeamSpeak/whatever servers set up from other games and groups, and are communicating with people who aren't even in MWO currently. People also use their non-MWO VOIP to form groups and chat between matches, when the in-game wouldn't work.

Also for some people the in-game VOIP doesn't offer the quality or the adjustment options they prefer, and I am told some people simply can't get it to work.

Note: I rarely use voice comms myself, although of course I listen. So these are just notes from things I have seen people do in the past or (rarely) done myself.

#3 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:45 AM

You can vet people in a private VOIP, and only talk to the people you want to, whether that be because they're good or you just like talking and playing with them.

The ingame VOIP is open to everyone.

The choice is obvious.

#4 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:15 AM

Also, doesn't the in game voip only work in match? No talking to your group in between drops.

#5 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:40 AM

View PostMadBadger, on 13 February 2018 - 05:37 AM, said:

Because people use what they are used to using, they also often have TeamSpeak/whatever servers set up from other games and groups, and are communicating with people who aren't even in MWO currently. People also use their non-MWO VOIP to form groups and chat between matches, when the in-game wouldn't work.

Also for some people the in-game VOIP doesn't offer the quality or the adjustment options they prefer, and I am told some people simply can't get it to work.

Note: I rarely use voice comms myself, although of course I listen. So these are just notes from things I have seen people do in the past or (rarely) done myself.

Yeah i have a creative tactical 3d wireless headset, which has wonderfull sound, but has a build in sound card.
Besides the mic somehow beeing more sensitive to high piched noises such as keboard strokes its the best i ever had.
Every game works perfect, except MWO. No Matter what i do, it will not accept the micro. I can press the talk button, my name is shown in the bottom below the map, but nobody can hear me.

#6 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:41 AM

Team speak and Discord are far better as stated above: they allow the conversations after the match most importantly, they allow the team to reconfigure mechs, drop decks and tactics before the match....

And, since anti-social and toxic behaviors are the norm in F2P FPS's; they can scream; vent their spleens; and, curse to the seven moons their frustration without being reported to PGI.....

If you want an experience, listen in on a TS/DC some night. Many have provided addresses to access them in forum articles. It is an experience: some good, some not so good....

Shalom

#7 BEST EGG

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 35 posts
  • LocationNothing Personnel kiddo

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:01 AM

MWO ingame VOIP is disable-able with a simple check-button, despite any musings in promo material or by the devs about teamwork being essential. That's all you need to know about this game's target market.

#8 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:03 AM

View PostBEST EGG, on 13 February 2018 - 07:01 AM, said:

MWO ingame VOIP is disable-able with a simple check-button, despite any musings in promo material or by the devs about teamwork being essential. That's all you need to know about this game's target market.

Most to all team games with ingame VOIP allow it to be disabled or muted. It's kind of a mandatory feature.

#9 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:06 AM

View PostBEST EGG, on 13 February 2018 - 07:01 AM, said:

Be nice if we could get some hotkeys for disable/enable voip and mute last speaker. I have in game voip on but sometimes you get people talking on it and TS/discord and its to much.

#10 UnKnownPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:31 AM

You can mute individual players too by clicking on the microphone icon next to their name on the scoreboard to filter out people who are being abusive etc.

#11 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:15 AM

View PostUnKnownPlayer, on 13 February 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

You can mute individual players too by clicking on the microphone icon next to their name on the scoreboard to filter out people who are being abusive etc.

It would be awesome if the game remembers who i muted earlier. Its hard to play when you hear someones dog barking in the background or kids screaming.

#12 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:20 AM

You can use the in-game VOIP and teamspeak at the same time. So communications with the pugs is only about the battle you're in, while still catching up with friends about life. Neither group hears your comments about the other thing. To do this, you should remember to make two different push-to-talk buttons.

#13 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

I have Clan VOIP set up to be heard through my headset, and in-game VOIP to play through the speakers. If there are enough CGBI on comms and we have someone as DC, commands are always put through in-game VOIP, or at least relayed through it

#14 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

I permanently disabled in-game voip after the first match of trying it out.

#15 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:05 AM

View PostPeace2U, on 13 February 2018 - 04:04 AM, said:

It does. Default button, I believe is 'left alt', but I could've rebound it. I use it on occasion in FP matches when we don't have a full twelve in teamspeak. Honestly though, my unit doesn't chat too much in game, we just kinda assume everyone understands how to work together and only use teamspeak to make sure everyone's on the same page or get timing right.

~Leone.

#16 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:11 AM

View PostLeone, on 13 February 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

It does. Default button, I believe is 'left alt', but I could've rebound it. I use it on occasion in FP matches when we don't have a full twelve in teamspeak. Honestly though, my unit doesn't chat too much in game, we just kinda assume everyone understands how to work together and only use teamspeak to make sure everyone's on the same page or get timing right.

~Leone.

Default is Caps Lock. Left Alt is MASC.

#17 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

View PostMagnus Santini, on 13 February 2018 - 10:20 AM, said:

You can use the in-game VOIP and teamspeak at the same time. So communications with the pugs is only about the battle you're in, while still catching up with friends about life. Neither group hears your comments about the other thing. To do this, you should remember to make two different push-to-talk buttons.

Yeah, until you forget what voice enable keys are which and all of a sudden, you are transmitting on the wrong freq the stuff not meant for the VOIP...........faux pas; and, there should be a microphone achievement for the most outrageous Oooops on VOIP.....

#18 BEST EGG

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 35 posts
  • LocationNothing Personnel kiddo

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

View Postsycocys, on 13 February 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

I permanently disabled in-game voip after the first match of trying it out.

you must be one of those annoying potatoes who only responds to being given a poke in the *** with lasers when you're in the way Posted Image

#19 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:16 PM

View PostBombast, on 13 February 2018 - 07:03 AM, said:

Most to all team games with ingame VOIP allow it to be disabled or muted. It's kind of a mandatory feature.

Yea... got to actually spend time in the settings on my PS4 version of Dreadnought to disable that function... got stuck in a match on the weekend with a prepubescent boy telling people to suck his **** when he killed a ship... or he was calling out other obscenities when he died... I'm going to have to keep my boy with in earshot when he starts to play online games, so I can cuff him upside the head if he starts talking like that to other players...

#20 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

View PostPeace2U, on 13 February 2018 - 04:04 AM, said:

There is an apparent problem in MWO game-play that strangely doesn't garner much attention - communication.
My observation, and comments on this will garner some hate-speak, but I expect and encourage this, as it may change my perspective.

Communication:
a. The game promotes 'teamwork' as the best way to win matches. You will find this in tutorials, in the forums, and in match communication.
b. We have all seen evidence of this in-game, many times, when an organized team rolls over a disorganized team.
c. The best way to both be, and stay organized is thru communication.

There are many players who use 'private' comms, like TeamSpeak, and talk among themselves during a match, while the rest of the team is left in the dark as to movement, target, defense, or short term objectives.
Even if a player does not have a mic., they will benefit from hearing other players intentions and observations, and they can participate more as a unit.
I realize some players like to use 'private' coms for whatever reason, but that flys-in-the-face of the whole 'teamwork' concept.

Why can't everyone use the built-in VOIP for MWO, so that communication between players is universal?

OK, I'll get down off my soap box and prepare to receive some rotten tomatoes.
Peace
I'm confused... because in game comms work just fine. Had a match last night where I was talking to someone and we had a good constructive back and forth about a build... So what's wrong with in game voip?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users