137 replies to this topic

#1 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

Let me preface this with a couple things
1. One of my arms doesn't have armor, it was blown off but not a problem.
2. I have 6 back armor, which is a little high for my light mechs
3. I got hit and may have backed up into another explosion
4. I have not spent skill points on this mech in the survival tree

Either way 33% of my mech is gone.

Posted Image

I get that they need to do enough damage to warrant taking them and avoiding them, if they do too little they aren't a threat and no one will care if smoke is on the ground.

However, I think they are doing a little more than necessary. Especially when you are in group queue and people drop 2 apiece all over the place.

I personally never use them, I bring a coolshot and UAV on most of my mechs or just a cool shot until they're skilled up. I understand many of you live to use them and would suffer a thousand tortures rather than see them removed or changed.

Things I'd like to see:

1. You can only take one
2. They do less damage
3. Their damage scales down in certain circumstances
4. Longer cool down between them

I think there isn't a huge outcry of nonstop complaining because people don't use them nearly as much in solo queue where the majority of the population is. If the average player dropped in group queue once in a while they would definitely either bring them or hate them.

#2 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

I could see a longer cooldown..but I honestly get hit with them so rarely that I dont even think of them..unless i'm gunna drop one. Maybe i am alone here..but..i feel the complaint is unfounded.

#3 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

View PostRelishcakes, on 17 February 2018 - 07:09 PM, said:

I could see a longer cooldown..but I honestly get hit with them so rarely that I dont even think of them..unless i'm gunna drop one. Maybe i am alone here..but..i feel the complaint is unfounded.

Have you tried group queue during peak hours when Eyez, 24-7, 228, EmP, ect. are online? Have you tried faction war against these units?

Just imagine the higher tiers of play where people are dropping them constantly. Just because you never see them, doesn't mean I am hallucinating them in my games.

#4 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:20 PM

trying to ask PGI to regulate Arty and Air strike is like asking government to regulate gun control

as far as I can remember I never used those consumables even cool-shot/uav, and I have given up hope that PGI will do something logical about this strikes

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

View Posteminus, on 17 February 2018 - 07:20 PM, said:

trying to ask PGI to regulate Arty and Air strike is like asking government to regulate gun control

That's a bad comparison because in this digital world, PGI could literally yank out all consumables next week if they really wanted to.

#6 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

View PostFupDup, on 17 February 2018 - 07:22 PM, said:

That's a bad comparison because in this digital world, PGI could literally yank out all consumables next week if they really wanted to.

same as any government...the "IF THEY REALLY WANTED TO" but that is just a unicorn in PGI's world

#7 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:43 PM

View Posteminus, on 17 February 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

same as any government...the "IF THEY REALLY WANTED TO" but that is just a unicorn in PGI's world

No, the government trying to confiscate existing guns from peoples' homes would end in disaster pretty quickly, while PGI would only have to release a patch for the game to remove consumables.

The reason it's not gonna happen is because consumables are basically a "tax" or money sink mechanic that PGI uses to make C-Bill income lower in an indirect way that goes under the radar.

Edited by FupDup, 17 February 2018 - 07:43 PM.

#8 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:47 PM

View PostFupDup, on 17 February 2018 - 07:43 PM, said:

No, the government trying to confiscate existing guns from peoples' homes would end in disaster pretty quickly, while PGI would only have to release a patch for the game to remove consumables.

The reason it's not gonna happen is because consumables are basically a "tax" or money sink mechanic that PGI uses to make C-Bill income lower in an indirect way that goes under the radar.

there are countries who does not allow you to bear guns unless proven necessary but going to stop that know becuase it is going off-topic

PGI with their infinite wisdom bestowed upon them knows strikes are currency sinks so it would be foolish for them to implement logical things with these strikes consumables

#9 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

Here we go again! Posted Image

There is a reason why artillery is called the "King of the Battlefield", not tickling feather dusters.

Removing the damage caused from all stat calculations, that I can go with.

#10 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:35 PM

How did you even come close to the red wall of 7 seconds delay in a jav to be hit? Even an xl 200 would make you faster than needed to avoid the red wall. If you were in an assault or heavy then i'd agree that strike damage need nerfed or even longer delay. I have just two mechs out of 87 that have strikes maxed out and even then strikes seem piffle weak compared to dual guass, dual heavy guass, er ppc spam, 80 clan laser barf.

#11 cervelos2

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationStraya

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:52 PM

Air and Arty strikes suck big time if you're in a light. I've had several games in Locusts or Javelins where I've copped a couple of strikes and been orange or red all over before I've even seen the enemy. Basically only an AC10 away from death. So you have to spend most of the match hiding away to hopefully be able to help at the end of the match. It sucks big time.

And as much as people say they're easy to avoid, it's a simple fact that you aren't always able to see the red smoke, or you just happen to be moving through the wrong spot at the wrong time.

No, I'm not a fan of them....

#12 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:02 PM

Mystere's idea is good, make it so arty/air strikes dont count towards damage/match score.

As for how do you get hit, there are creative ways of targeting the strikes so as to make it hard to see the smoke. Crimson strait you can drop a strike under the platform and hit people on top for example

#13 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:29 PM

View Posteminus, on 17 February 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

ya an in some parts of the world it would start an civil war because the population has more guns then the army.

#14 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:36 PM

View PostXetelian, on 17 February 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

Things I'd like to see:

1. You can only take one
2. They do less damage
3. Their damage scales down in certain circumstances
4. Longer cool down between them

I think there isn't a huge outcry of nonstop complaining because people don't use them nearly as much in solo queue where the majority of the population is. If the average player dropped in group queue once in a while they would definitely either bring them or hate them.

No.
Because they are an important part of the game.
They should not be announced; no smoke, no warning. They should have 5 seconds or less between them because there are usually more than one battery or aircraft providing CAS or DS/GS IDF.... That's the reality of strikes.

It's part of the reason why you must be aware of the entire battlespace (they are three dimensional.) IDF shapes game play because it is so dangerous. If you remove all IDF or nerf it till it has no "decisive" power, you end up with an arcade/arena, two dimesional, twicth FPS and thay is NOT what MWO is suppose to be !

#15 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:50 PM

View PostXetelian, on 17 February 2018 - 07:16 PM, said:

Have you tried group queue during peak hours when Eyez, 24-7, 228, EmP, ect. are online? Have you tried faction war against these units?

Just imagine the higher tiers of play where people are dropping them constantly. Just because you never see them, doesn't mean I am hallucinating them in my games.

I've been in plenty of matches with the higher teir, you have to remember that there are several times that the MM just gives up and throws matches together. I have seen matches where arty/airstrikes are all over the damn place. I may just be lucky in that i am a light pilot but even my cougar rolling around at 81kph doesnt have an issue dodging arty. Like i said, maybe I am alone, but i disagree with it being OP. The delay between the smoke and the arty in my opinion is enough for MOST mechs to gtfo. Assaults got ****** on that one though cause they usually cant, even with the highest engines...half the time I'm certain they barely notice the incoming though.

#16 Funk1777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:01 PM

View PostAsym, on 17 February 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

No.
They should not be announced; no smoke, no warning. They should have 5 seconds or less between them because there are usually more than one battery or aircraft providing CAS or DS/GS IDF.... That's the reality of strikes.

It's part of the reason why you must be aware of the entire battlespace (they are three dimensional.) IDF shapes game play because it is so dangerous. If you remove all IDF or nerf it till it has no "decisive" power, you end up with an arcade/arena, two dimesional, twicth FPS and thay is NOT what MWO is suppose to be !

I can still go up a hill and shoot down on a person. This 3 dimensional thing is a strange argument. Bringing reality into a game about giant robots isnt really an argument anyway as those dropships could just not drop one team and instead bomb the other team and laugh from 2 clicks up.

#17 XDevilsChariotX

• PipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 94 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:26 AM

Well, Good news. In the latest podcast about balance. Both artillery and cool shots are getting nerfed again. Not sure if it's this patch or March, but it's coming.

#18 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:05 AM

View PostAsym, on 17 February 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

No.

Uh, in real life we have counter-battery radars and C-RAM to shoot down incoming artillery. So actually there is a warning.

But that's besides the point. This is a video game. The point of strikes in MWO shouldn't be to make it so that people get hit by strikes they have no way of knowing are coming or avoiding. They should be to force a choice upon a player, either to remain in place and get hit in exchange for continuing to hold a strong position, or to move out of that position to avoid the strike but potentially giving up a strong position or even possibly exposing yourself to enemy fire.

#19 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:24 AM

why compromise at 1 when it should be 0?

remove ALL consumables from the game

No.

The problem isnt that artillery shouldnt exist. The problem is that consumables dont have a tangible cost in tonnage. Strikes are straight up better than some weapons that do cost tonnage like the rocket launcher.

If PGI added mech-based artillery weapons, like the ARROWIV, that actually took up tonnage/crits, that would be fine.

Everything should cost tonnage though, because tonnage is the currency of mechs.

Edited by Khobai, 18 February 2018 - 01:32 AM.

#20 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:21 AM

The problem for lights with strikes is that they do fixed damage. If they are nerfed too hard damage-wise they lose their power against heavies and assaults.

So when playing squishy lights i try to stay FAR away from usual strike-locations and from clumped up teammates. For lights strikes are a reminder to stay mobile and to utilize their speed to get into the enemies flanks. By doing so the chance to get hit by a strike is about zero.

So usually when i get hit by a strike in my light mechs it's a sign that i may have played my mech suboptimal. Posted Image

Edited by Daggett, 18 February 2018 - 03:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users