Would A Stock Only Mode For Solaris 7 Make Sense?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:19 PM

Personally, I'd love a mode like this. I feel like it would get pretty strategic, thanks to the more limited loadouts, and the different mech divisions would hopfully keep it balanced (for the most part), and the pacing for the lower divisions would be totally different because of all the single heat sinks.
Since each Solaris match will require far fewer players, I wonder if it would be safe to add a couple extra que buckets for this?
Maybe PGI could offer different rewards for the stock ques?

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

View Postarmyunit, on 18 February 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

Personally, I'd love a mode like this. I feel like it would get pretty strategic, thanks to the more limited loadouts, and the different mech divisions would hopfully keep it balanced (for the most part), and the pacing for the lower divisions would be totally different because of all the single heat sinks.
Since each Solaris match will require far fewer players, I wonder if it would be safe to add a couple extra que buckets for this?
Maybe PGI could offer different rewards for the stock ques?

No.

DHS stock builds suddenly become OP, and the majority of those are Clans.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:26 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 18 February 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

No.

^

This.

It will not be more fun, it will not be more strategic. It'll just be whoever has the best "stock loadout" mech... Which are far and above, Clan ones.

#4 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:26 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 18 February 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

No.

Does faction really matter in Solaris? We already expect the cheesiest mechs, load outs, and tactics to dominate.

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:28 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 18 February 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

^

This.

It will not be more fun, it will not be more strategic. It'll just be whoever has the best "stock loadout" mech... Which are far and above, Clan ones.

It's actually worse if you wanted an "SHS-based fight". You'll have moments of hiding and cooling down - to the point where the Jeopardy theme song would be a great MC-only gift for all involved. Want to see hobo-mech fights? Here we go!

View PostMystere, on 18 February 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

Does faction really matter in Solaris? We already expect the cheesiest mechs, load outs, and tactics to dominate.

Yes. Clan XL stands out even more in Solaris if stock mode existed.

#6 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:47 PM

Solaris is about pilots taking customized mechs (to that particular pilots liking) into an arena and duking it out for whatever reason they have for being there.

Perfect example: Yen Lo Wang.

Doesn't really make sense for a stock only mode in my opinion. But if you wanted stock only, there's private matches where you can toggle that.

#7 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

solaris divides mechs into 7 different divisions. why wouldnt a stock only mode do the same?

stock mechs with SHS wouldnt be in the same division as stock mechs with DHS

and clan mechs would be in a separate division than everything else

kindve a weak argument against it. the lore argument is better, go with that.

View PostN0ni, on 18 February 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

Solaris is about pilots taking customized mechs (to that particular pilots liking) into an arena and duking it out for whatever reason they have for being there.

Doesn't really make sense for a stock only mode in my opinion. But if you wanted stock only, there's private matches where you can toggle that.

I agree stock mode only doesnt really make sense in solaris

but more for the reasons youre saying than the reasons other people were saying. virtually every mech used in solaris in the lore is highly customized. solaris is about the labor of love of customizing your own mech and winning with it.

Edited by Khobai, 18 February 2018 - 09:26 PM.

#8 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

Don't forget about the division system, which would theoretically fix the OP clan mech issues. It would be Clan vs Clan and IS vs IS for the most part.
Edit: Khobai beat me to it lol

I've done stock-only private duels with my brother before, and they are anything but snooze-fests, although I'm sure that would heavily depend on the mechs.

I don't know, I suppose I just wish there was a better integrated stock-only mode that had c-bill incentives attached to. Solaris 7 seems like a nice opportunity to add one.

View PostN0ni, on 18 February 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

Yeah, from a lore perspective it wouldn't really make much sense except perhaps from the "this mechwarrior was too poor to upgrade his mech" angle, which is rather silly.
Still, I'm wanting this more for the mechanics than the lore.
Maybe it would be a big flop in the end, but I still think it could be and interesting mode.

Edited by armyunit, 18 February 2018 - 09:05 PM.

#9 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:07 PM

Stock mode doesn't make any sense in Solaris considering the mechs there were generally customized. You're not just some rank and file soldier in Solaris, you're a rising star moving from scraping together some spare parts to rolling out in your decked out machine to the roar of your fans.

#10 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:12 PM

View PostMystere, on 18 February 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

The state of the existing meta has already resulted in very little variety; stock loadouts would drastically limit variety even further.
There will always be a meta; limit customisation and the meta will just change to an even smaller selection of options.

#11 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:02 AM

In theory it'd be great but with how stupidly op clan mechs are even at default there would no chance for IS, even the best of IS..

#12 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:38 AM

No it doesn't make sense for Solaris.

It also doesn't make sense that PGI never gave players more options for match limitation "modes", especially for the quick play so that players could self regulate towards the types of matches they prefer. That probably would have also required them to actually develop out game modes instead of slapping poorly thought out side objectives over skirmish though.

#13 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:47 AM

I would bring a stock SCR every time. This would create a terrible new meta of only good stock builds.

Some stock mechs are absolutely fine and even close to being meta.

Like other people have said, this would be a travesty.

View PostKhobai, on 18 February 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

solaris divides mechs into 7 different divisions. why wouldnt a stock only mode do the same?

stock mechs with SHS wouldnt be in the same division as stock mechs with DHS

and clan mechs would be in a separate division than everything else

kindve a weak argument against it. the lore argument is better, go with that.

I agree stock mode only doesnt really make sense in solaris

but more for the reasons youre saying than the reasons other people were saying. virtually every mech used in solaris in the lore is highly customized. solaris is about the labor of love of customizing your own mech and winning with it.

We don't even know exactly how divisions are going to work. Is it going to be like PSR where the longer you wait the valves will open and let other divisions and elos in?

If Solaris doesn't take off and become a runaway success and stay relevant then they are going to have to have opening of valves.

Edited by Xetelian, 19 February 2018 - 02:51 AM.

#14 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:49 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 18 February 2018 - 08:28 PM, said:

Yes. Clan XL stands out even more in Solaris if stock mode existed.

View PostZergling, on 18 February 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

The state of the existing meta has already resulted in very little variety; stock loadouts would drastically limit variety even further.
There will always be a meta; limit customisation and the meta will just change to an even smaller selection of options.

The point is that people will use/buy the mechs they think will work in Solaris. The faction to which those mechs belong to is just incidental.

#15 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

is it me or is this argument old and tired?

The clan mechs arent by nature OP. They are just different. If anything its a tech base issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users