48 replies to this topic

#21 Jack Booted Thug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:39 AM

Biggest engine light 350 or better, speed tweak with several torso twist speed nodes, 18 double heat sinks, at least one cool shot, seismic.

Usually, I park on the other side of a choke point or obstruction if possible. If you are pushing, let your team know ahead of time and when you go alpha and twist usually AC 20 side away from the enemy if possible because that get's critted most easily.

You need heat efficiency, 1 big ballistic and srms or mrms. No lasers unless you're only running only one or two missle pod variants.

You're build should allow you to get off at least 3 or 4 alphas before needing to burn a cool shot. Pick the most dangerous mech like another assault that can't twist and go for that first.

Move across the mech you're shooting at so you don't block teammates line of fire pushing with you. Don't just bull strait into it and face hug.

Position and timing is most important - that takes practice and knowing the maps.

Edit: I usually throw on a UAV with the cool shot - try to get targeting info for the closet couple mechs on the other side before a push - sometimes a Dual Heavy Gauss Annie with some armor already stripped off a side torso is an easy one alpha crit, same with other mechs.

And on occasion it is appropriate to face hug if moving across will expose you to significant enemy fire from other enemies standing directly behind the one you are shooting, use him as kind of a shield.

Edited by Jack Booted Thug, 20 February 2018 - 12:49 AM.

#22 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:39 AM

Buy an anni....

#23 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:18 AM

My #1 tip:

You are not the tip. There is no spear.

Aside from a well coordinated push in the group queue, you should never, ever bow to peer pressure and lead a push in an Atlas in the PUG queues.

Ever.

Your terrible hitboxes just make you a tasty damage padding morsel for enemy players, and all the tankiness in the world is irrelevant when you evaporate when fired on by any more than one mech, which is guaranteed to happen when those calling for a push mash the S key after being grazed by a small laser and use your noble sacrifice to get back to cover.

Plus, pretty much every pilot knows which torso to rip off to declaw you.

Exercise a little patience instead. Do the poking game in the early minutes of the match, or sit somewhere juicy as a deterrent to someone poking at you, and don't stray too far from the group.

If you can maintain some armour, you'll excel when your team finally musters the courage to attempt to mop up, or you'll be a tough nut to crack for already damaged enemies trying to push their luck.

#24 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:36 AM

as new Player ...not play assaults ...to slow for bring fast in cover or away from bad positions or situations ..news with assaults only easy feed for each veteran and not can easy reaction to new situations...heavys better.In Pug with not coordinates Team to play assaults is a Dicegame and most lost the Assaults ..most to special ..only sniping and helpless in Brawl maps...special for Brawl and helpless and not a help in Maps like Polar or Tourmaline..and never ..never go in Crimson with a Slow assault in Front trough the tunnel only two in tunnel can shoot out ..all reds can shoot in ..its only a deathtrap for assaults ,and shes blocking all support fire from behind and can not back

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 20 February 2018 - 02:43 AM.

#25 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:25 AM

View Postkesmai, on 20 February 2018 - 12:39 AM, said:

Buy an anni....

Or wait for the Fafnir, cause faster and a lower profile MOST likely.

#26 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:09 AM

Listen up, I've been playing MWO for a while and literally for all my matches in the last 30 days have been in my Atlases.

First off, your Atlas variant is OBSOLETE. The AS7 D-DC sucks because it has no armor quirks and you can't for 3 srm6+a with the ECM. It's biggest downside however is its lack of armor quirks. It's garbage and the meta has spit it out.

The best Atlas chassis currently are the Atlas K, the Atlas D, the Atlas RS and Atlas S(sort of?)

The Atlas K has great armor quirks and gauss cool down quirks, so its perfectly suited for Heavy gauss+MRM40 builds. My dual ams, std325, 4mlas 1 Hgauss Atlas K is actually my best performing Atlas because its very powerful up close and at medium ranges as well. You can sometimes even corner peek with the right side. And the Hgauss is absolutely fantastic and is the part you should always protect in this build. Without it, you are severely crippled.

The Atlas D next up is pretty good because it has adequate missile hard points. The best Atlas D builds are either 2 MRM30 with 1 UAC20 with a light engine. This build is a close-range slaughterhouse and the armor quirks help you get close or make trades while the mrm30s give you viable medium and absolutely disgusting close range capability. Best thing to do with this build is to guard chokepoints or push out of them (with your team) and use that 100 damage alpha to annihilate enemies. The alternative Atlas D build is to have 2 RAC5's and MRMs or SRMs. The Atlas does well with RACs because its hard points are close to eachother so they converge very well.

The Atlas RS? It's decent I guess due to its armor quirks but if you like putting lasers on your Atlases like me the RS can be annoying because the arms are the only laser hard points so the convergence is awful.

And finally the Atlas S. It has no armor quirks so it will always fall apart under focused fire, HOWEVER if you can get close, personal and even suicidal with its only viable 4SRM+A with AC/20 build then you can absolutely shred everything to pieces. However the left side is a huge weakness and its lack of armor quirks makes it easy to destroy without masterful twisting.

As for tips using all Atlases, first tip is to always recognise your most important side torso. For the MRM60 D, it's the left side that's more important because its damage output is more reliable and higher than the UAC20. However, on my beloved Atlas K, the Hgauss is far more important so I protect it when twisting instead. Next is to learn the angle of twisting. The Atlas has one of the best side profiles due to its massive and heavily armored arms that can completely cover a side torso. Use them. Use them against LRM fire too. Also try to share the armor health. For example lets say your left side is open but your right has orange or yellow armor. Don't twist right again, twist left so they can shoot the armored right side a bit, unless your left weapon is already critted. Finally, you really don't want to stare down big enemies in the Atlas, use those big arms to shield, HOWEVER, when overpowering small enemies or distracted enemies you can stare down at them to focus on dealing damage. It also very important to always be in the big pushes your team makes. You are huge and armored, and your usually close range oriented load out makes you responsible for brawling and pushes. Make sure to have good map awareness and to follow the flow of a push or the battle. The last thing you want to do in an Atlas is to be in a terrible position while the team is pushing without your support, sometimes that means you must relentlessly follow the nascar to not be left behind. A lone or out of position Atlas is a dead Atlas because your so easy to hit (since your tall too) and you usually can't get back into position quickly enough to avoid punishment. That also goes without saying, don't stand in the front line for the sake of it. If you're being pecked to death take cover and remember you're only one mech and need to wait on the others to help sometimes.

Last tip, beware of annihilators. To best one, you must be a twist God because they have a much higher damage output than you. However, you can position far better them because you are faster. The best way to take out an annihilator, particularly a dual Hgauss one, is you shred one its sides asap and use your big arm to cover your retreat, but if its a prolonged fight, you'll need excellent aim to destroy the CT but always and I mean always take off that side torso of its weak. 1 Hgauss is far weaker than two. The Annihilator is better on a poking situation or a medium range fight but the Atlas is the brawl king.

View PostKiiyor, on 20 February 2018 - 02:18 AM, said:

My #1 tip:

You are not the tip. There is no spear.

Aside from a well coordinated push in the group queue, you should never, ever bow to peer pressure and lead a push in an Atlas in the PUG queues.

Ever.

Your terrible hitboxes just make you a tasty damage padding morsel for enemy players, and all the tankiness in the world is irrelevant when you evaporate when fired on by any more than one mech, which is guaranteed to happen when those calling for a push mash the S key after being grazed by a small laser and use your noble sacrifice to get back to cover.

Plus, pretty much every pilot knows which torso to rip off to declaw you.

Exercise a little patience instead. Do the poking game in the early minutes of the match, or sit somewhere juicy as a deterrent to someone poking at you, and don't stray too far from the group.

If you can maintain some armour, you'll excel when your team finally musters the courage to attempt to mop up, or you'll be a tough nut to crack for already damaged enemies trying to push their luck.

This is great advice. Too many people think they can push in with the Atlas but alone you will always get shredded, and most pugs will not follow you. However, you can with good map knowledge and awareness see a push coming and be part of it, and being a huge armored asset on that.

However, coordinated FP drops with Atlases pushing out is great stuff, done it a few times. GOTTA pick the right map though, like Vitric forge.

Edited by Dont LRM me please, 20 February 2018 - 08:11 AM.

#27 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:15 AM

Oh as for nodes I run armor, heat and firepower, and no mobility quirks. I feel as if the mobility tree gives me marginal gains and isn't really worth say more ammo or better missile spread. But that's me.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 19 February 2018 - 06:27 PM, said:

IMO - if you are getting 600 damage. That's about as good as it's gonna get. Although the build you have on it isn't the best, but I don't honestly think you can expect much more from it.

What if I told you do I do over 700-800 every other game?

#28 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:59 PM

View PostLady Alexandra Cousland, on 20 February 2018 - 05:25 AM, said:

Its an Anni with KingCrab/Awesome syndrome, its going to be the side of the barn that people wont hit.

#29 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:23 PM

View PostLady Alexandra Cousland, on 20 February 2018 - 05:25 AM, said:

Low profile doesn't matter in MWO, thin profile does. Being thin means you can just spread damage automatically by having super tiny facing hitboxes, or dodge shots much easier. Something as huge as a Fafnir will be easily blown to pieces. Besides that, its 4.1 KPH faster than an Annihilator at best, might as well just go with the 300 rated engine for the tonnage savings.

Only thing going for it is that it has ECM over the Annihilator and the cockpit will be in line with the hardpoints. It could potentially be a decent peeking mech if its agility isn't too bad, but its not going to hold its own in a brawl compared to an Annihilator, or even an Atlas.

#30 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:00 AM

Sell it. Buy a king crab or anni.
You will be way happier.

View PostAthom83, on 20 February 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

Its an Anni with KingCrab/Awesome syndrome, its going to be the side of the barn that people wont hit.
if the faf could some how hit 81kph... id gladly throw money down, but its not happening lol.

#31 wamX

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:31 AM

View PostHoneybadgers, on 19 February 2018 - 06:11 PM, said:

I am spectacularly crap with the atlas. I have broken 600 damage a handful of times, but my average is under 250 damage. I'm spreading damage well enough to usually be a stick before I die (I run the DDC so no zombie for me) and I run a fairly high alpha build (STD 325, ECM, LBX20, MRM40, Snub PPC and a rocket launcher 15 for a little burst, 70 point alpha with a 100 point single burst) that has a decent effective range out to about 400 and runs cool enough for 4-5 alphas.

I've got full survival on the skill tree and double enhanced ECM, with a little bit into mobility for the torso twist and some cooldown/magazine cap.

But I just find myself singled out really, REALLY hard, and I don't really know how to pilot a tanky mech. I'm used to the marauder 2 and kodiak 3, being a second line assault works for me.

I try to lead pushes, and usually do okay in initiating a fight, but I just find myself dying super early on every game. I am usually pushing before 1 or 2 mechs are down. Should I be waiting a little longer before exposing? Should I treat the mech more like I do my usual brawlers, wait to engage until things are softened up from the snipers and missiles and a few components are open?

I run an Atlas (whichever variant they gave for loyalty, I think its an AS7-D) with an 100 repeatable alpha.
4 Medium Lasers
1 AC/20
3 MRM20s
It runs a bit warm but with the Light engine it moves rather quickly for its tonnage. Best advice I can give is to pick another assault and roll with them, torso twist and rotate in and out when you can. Brawling is one of the harder things to get good at IMO because at one point during the fight you have to make a decision about what part of your mech/what weapons/what ammo is/are acceptable to lose.

Ive tried swapping out the 3MRMs for 4SRM6s but the damage decreases significantly and the ammo per ton becomes horrendous.

#32 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:40 AM

View PostHoneybadgers, on 19 February 2018 - 06:11 PM, said:

But I just find myself singled out really, REALLY hard, and I don't really know how to pilot a tanky mech. I'm used to the marauder 2 and kodiak 3, being a second line assault works for me.

IMO, you need to be very critical about what you mean when you say "second line." There is a natural churn process when 'mechs stick together. When you're behind your team mates, you cannot get a shot off, so you naturally move just far enough up to get a shot. Then you take fire, which causes you to fall back, and the cycle repeats.

This cycle is good and natural because it results in everyone sharing damage.

"Being second line" means, in some people's mind, that you never churn forward. Instead of being with the pack, you purposefully stay 100 or 200 meters behind the pack and just shoot around your team mates. That's a fine strategy when you're in a 50-60 'mech or an LRM boat. It is not really a fine strategy when you're in a 100 ton 'mech.

Now I'm not saying that's what you meant when you said second line, nor am I accusing you of bad play - sometimes it makes sense to stay back. But what we need to do here is very carefully analyze what you're doing with your KDK that results in performance gains, versus what you're doing in your Fatlas. The Fatlas needs to churn. It is extremely good at arm shielding, so it can take a lot more damage than almost any other 'mech (possibly shy of a Annihilator) just by twisting appropriately.

What you should not be doing is blindly charging into the enemy. There are very few times in this game when you should actually "push," meaning break cover and charge into the enemy. I can think of only a very small handful of times.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that being in an assault mech means that, every game, you just charge into the enemy with your team using you as a tank. Nope. If the enemy has superior or equal numbers plus cover, and your team breaks cover to charge, you're gonna lose.

TL;DR version of my advice: Practice churning, and stop charging.

Edited by Water Bear, 21 February 2018 - 06:42 AM.

#33 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:52 AM

At this point it is a pretty limited niche mech that can only do good if it either gets up close besides hi whole team or if it gets the possibility fire around corners at med ranges or skirmish at medranges.
Otherwise it is just an obsolete mech that needs an complete (geometry and hitboxes too) overhaul to be valid or even playable at all.

#34 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:59 AM

View PostwamX, on 21 February 2018 - 06:31 AM, said:

I run an Atlas (whichever variant they gave for loyalty, I think its an AS7-D) with an 100 repeatable alpha.
4 Medium Lasers
1 AC/20
3 MRM20s
It runs a bit warm but with the Light engine it moves rather quickly for its tonnage. Best advice I can give is to pick another assault and roll with them, torso twist and rotate in and out when you can. Brawling is one of the harder things to get good at IMO because at one point during the fight you have to make a decision about what part of your mech/what weapons/what ammo is/are acceptable to lose.

Ive tried swapping out the 3MRMs for 4SRM6s but the damage decreases significantly and the ammo per ton becomes horrendous.

That's a bad build. 2 mlas is uncessary, probably awful heat and probably worse ammo capacity. If you wanna go MRM go Atlas D with two 30s. The loyalty Atlas is the Atlas S so you can fit 4 srm6 with artemis, your build doesn't even utilise it. Also, try reading my mini guide up there.

Edited by Dont LRM me please, 21 February 2018 - 06:59 AM.

#35 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:21 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 19 February 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

Pretty much how I dealt with the mobilty nerfs...

In fact they were so bad I'm running about 10 mechs regularly and that's about it these days cause so much else is rubbish

Yeah, if you are gonna drop in 100 tons, might as well go for all the hardpoints in a Dire or Anni... if you know the associated risks.

#36 wamX

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:41 AM

View PostDont LRM me please, on 21 February 2018 - 06:59 AM, said:

That's a bad build. 2 mlas is uncessary, probably awful heat and probably worse ammo capacity. If you wanna go MRM go Atlas D with two 30s. The loyalty Atlas is the Atlas S so you can fit 4 srm6 with artemis, your build doesn't even utilise it. Also, try reading my mini guide up there.

I have 600 MRMs fresh (2 tons ammo?) and 2 tons of AC20. Its enough to fire everything at least 10 times. While I'm not thrilled with the heat, I know how to run it to avoid some heat problems, not to mention I haven't added any quirks to it yet for those ammo bonuses.

#37 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:14 AM

View PostwamX, on 21 February 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

I have 600 MRMs fresh (2 tons ammo?) and 2 tons of AC20. Its enough to fire everything at least 10 times. While I'm not thrilled with the heat, I know how to run it to avoid some heat problems, not to mention I haven't added any quirks to it yet for those ammo bonuses.

If you're going to run that build, switch to 2 MRM 30's. 30's weigh 10 tons each, 20's weigh 7. You get to save a ton for free. 20s and 30s have the same cooldown so there's no bonus that way.

Edited by Water Bear, 21 February 2018 - 08:14 AM.

#38 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:23 AM

It's a niche mech good for close range/urban maps like mining colony, river city, viridian big, emerald taiga. Bad at mid or long range maps. Therefore.. don't play QP with it, only FP where you know which map you'll get. Otherwise, there's a 75% chance you'll get a random map this mech is useless on.

Edited by Nightbird, 21 February 2018 - 04:44 PM.

#39 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

View PostwamX, on 21 February 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

That's terrible ammo count. Also why run your build in a certain way to deal with its heat problems when you could just change the build so it doesn't have the heat problems in the first place?

#40 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

Started a thread not long ago about the Atlas D-DC too because i couldn`t belive how terrible the gameplay with it was. It can`t torso twist, has paper armor, low weapon mounts, can`t poke and goes down in seconds. In the end i used GXP to level it and never touched it again because the experience was so bad.

Relativly speaking I had my best results with the UAC20 + MRM60 Build. But if you want the real Atlas feeling buy an Anni...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users