22 replies to this topic

#1 Mussie076

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMoranbah

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

So I am a little confused, the cost of this pack is more than reasonable, (hey Devs i am a founder i refuse to pay the ridiculous prices you put on your mechs keep this up and i will start buying stuff again)

But

What is the catch, can these mechs only be used in Solaris ?

Cause if that's so i will pass again.

Muss

#2 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:00 PM

You can use them in any queue you want. There is no catch. 7 heros, $30 dollars. It is a good deal, but most of them are kind of boring. Still, I got it.

#3 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

View PostMussie076, on 19 February 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

nope Russ already said that all these mechs will be for all modes like all other mechs in MWO,
so your good in that sense, ;)

#4 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:07 PM

The catch is that their not really that great. The Mad Dog is probably the only straight up 'good' one, with the Urbanmech having an interesting hook (But will almost certainly be inferior to other variants) and the Firestarter basically being the current Firestarter hero with some hard points moved around.

The Atlas looks nice though.

#5 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:15 PM

View PostBombast, on 19 February 2018 - 04:07 PM, said:

The catch is that their not really that great. The Mad Dog is probably the only straight up 'good' one, with the Urbanmech having an interesting hook (But will almost certainly be inferior to other variants) and the Firestarter basically being the current Firestarter hero with some hard points moved around.

The Atlas looks nice though.

I've been waiting for a jumping Banshee since the sacred texts foretold of its existence.

#6 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

I think the price point is basically twofold. As a veteran MWO player with over 100 mechs I've got variants of five of those mechs and c-bill bonus versions of four of them, so to encourage me to buy the pack they need me to consider the price based on variants I want, not total number of mechs. I think three of them might get little to no use from me but I am interested enough in the rest of them that I'm going to be buying the pack.

Because they seem to be directing the price point at players like me who they can more reliably estimate sales based on past purchases, it makes it a great value for a new player. It's not a trick, it's just while you see seven useful mechs, I see one mech I don't have and want, three mechs I already own but like so I'd own another variant, and three mechs that are mildly interesting to not very interesting.

For the new player this is a great value, though note that most of the mechs only have single heatsinks and/or 'non-ideal' starting engines so I think PGI wants you to play the game to earn the c-bills to upgrade the mechs. I have a lot of c-bills so to me things like single heatsinks and standard structure mean little, but for the newer player you'll be playing these mechs to get the c-bills to upgrade their heatsinks, engines, and structure/armour. PGI is giving you great value in the mechs, but they're not 'turnkey' mechs by any stretch of the imagination.

The 380XL in the Banshee might be best for selling (I try not to sell engines, but the 380XL has very limited usage) though the Atlas' 300XL could initially go into the Griffin until the new player has the funds for upgrading (a Griffin is a pretty good mech to learn torso twisting and protecting side torsos, and adding an XL engine to it will quickly tell you when you're failing to twist properly). So you're going to have to use those mechs' 30% c-bill bonus to play a lot and earn the money to upgrade the mechs.

#7 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:28 PM

Was so hoping Sting Wasp or Valkyrie would make an appearance for the Solaris launch.

#8 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:36 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 19 February 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

Was so hoping they'd throw gasoline on the dumpster fire that is their current lawsuit with HG for the Solaris launch.

Fixed.

Edited by Bombast, 20 February 2018 - 03:36 AM.

#9 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:39 AM

View PostBombast, on 20 February 2018 - 03:36 AM, said:

Fixed.

I doubt nitpicking will have much success trolling active companies trying to do business.

This may have worked in the past but the banks have already gone bankrupt and been bailed out recently so...

Edited by Johnny Z, 20 February 2018 - 03:51 AM.

#10 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,902 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:42 AM

View PostMussie076, on 19 February 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

What's the catch. Same as it has been for the last year:

The inevitability that they will continue nerfing things to either make the turkeys in this lineup seem more appealing, or nerf them all along with everything else as Paul has promised (increasing TTK is the primary goal of balance right right now). Other than that, no catch.

#11 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:42 AM

Well, since I only own the Mad-Dog and Urbie from the list, and mine are not hero mechs, $30 for 7 hero mechs is very good value, right?

Update: Thanks Ruccus for the explanation, I don't think c-bills is a problem for me at the moment, and I guess the 30% c-bill boost kinda offset the initial investment.

Btw, any idea when the pre-order will end? Trying to save up some $$ till then. Usually they don't announce the quirks till before release?

Edited by Zh0u, 20 February 2018 - 03:46 AM.

#12 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:53 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 20 February 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

What's the catch. Same as it has been for the last year:

The inevitability that they will continue nerfing things to either make the turkeys in this lineup seem more appealing, or nerf them all along with everything else as Paul has promised (increasing TTK is the primary goal of balance right right now). Other than that, no catch.

Ok get this. I didn't like the idea of mechs being put into leagues at first, but if they keep balance good like it currently is and then instead move mechs from one league to another to create Solaris balance, then its an amazing idea. Get it? Because I didn't at first.

This works just as long as gameplay balance in general remains good and improving and doesn't turn in to a world of warships tier grind.

So they thought of an independent way to balance Solaris is the key point here. Brilliant.

Edited by Johnny Z, 20 February 2018 - 03:55 AM.

#13 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:57 AM

View PostZh0u, on 20 February 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

Btw, any idea when the pre-order will end? Trying to save up some $$ till then. Usually they don't announce the quirks till before release?

It looks like the previous Hero-only packs, in that there's no pre-order bonus, so no need to buy it until everything is released (quirks, hard point locations, final in game camo)

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:58 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 20 February 2018 - 03:53 AM, said:

Ok get this. I didn't like the idea of mechs being put into leagues at first, but if they keep balance good like it currently is and then instead move mechs from one league to another to create Solaris balance, then its an amazing idea. Get it? Because I didn't at first.

This works just as long as gameplay balance in general remains good and improving and doesn't turn in to a world of warships tier grind.

So they thought of an independent way to balance Solaris is the key point here. Brilliant.

Great for Solaris, perhaps. How about the rest of the game?
Balance by tiers is not balance its segregating good mechs from bad mechs. That's the opposite of balance. Its an admission that mech A is better than Mech B and they should not play together because of their inherent differences. Edit: all so your comment is irrelevant to the question I answered or my answer. They are still going to be nerffing things and those nerfs will affect these new mechs.

Edited by Bud Crue, 20 February 2018 - 03:59 AM.

#15 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:10 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 20 February 2018 - 03:58 AM, said:

Great for Solaris, perhaps. How about the rest of the game?
Balance by tiers is not balance its segregating good mechs from bad mechs. That's the opposite of balance. Its an admission that mech A is better than Mech B and they should not play together because of their inherent differences. Edit: all so your comment is irrelevant to the question I answered or my answer. They are still going to be nerffing things and those nerfs will affect these new mechs.

Maybe but not nerfing things or buffing things for Solaris. I am guessing the mech leagues will do that if its an issue.

Mech leagues allow for more champions as well. Alloys for players/pilots to specialize. Its brilliant like I said and in fact I didn't even like the idea when I first heard about it. Credit where its due.

Quickplay balance is the best its ever been. After the addition of Clan tech and the skill tree and so many variables and new weapons now, its going extremely well finally.

See some mechs have a lot of missile hardpoints for example... those mechs may end up In the same league. Maybe there will be cross league matches I don't know but its a great idea.

Edited by Johnny Z, 20 February 2018 - 04:19 AM.

#16 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:15 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 20 February 2018 - 04:10 AM, said:

Maybe but not nerfing things or buffing things for Solaris. I am guessing the mech leagues will do that if its an issue.

Quickplay balance is the best its ever been. After the addition of Clan tech and the skill tree and so many variables and new weapons now, its going extremely well finally.

I could not disagree more. Hell, PGI doesn't even agree with that by their own words and conduct. No point in starting a debate here however, and so I shall just leave it at that.

#17 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,081 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:21 AM

Street Sweeper Urbie's going to cost just 625 mc (i assume), since it's load is basically the same as the standard R60L -- AC10 + Small laser. Lol. I'll just wait for the MC release.

#18 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:28 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 20 February 2018 - 04:21 AM, said:

Street Sweeper Urbie's going to cost just 625 mc (i assume), since it's load is basically the same as the standard R60L -- AC10 + Small laser. Lol. I'll just wait for the MC release.

heroes are priced per ton, and not by equipement like the standard mechs

on another note:
do we already know where the MDD CT energy hardpoints will be placed? chin?

Edited by Iacov, 20 February 2018 - 04:28 AM.

#19 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:35 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 20 February 2018 - 04:21 AM, said:

Taking out the trash, one Clan mech at a time, since 3014.

#20 Mussie076

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMoranbah

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:04 AM

Thanks for the replies been out of action for a few days with an as yet unknown infection. Yay...

Have bought the pack and will buy many more at these prices DEV's I am talking to you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users