Would It Be Alright To Have I.s Omnis Switch Out Engines Of The Same Tonnage?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:53 AM

This is only to be a system where I.S XL wont keep an Omni held back due to their easy kill nature.

as an Example I can switch out a 360 XL on a Sunder for a 290 Std or a 315 LFE

Edited by Armored Yokai, 26 February 2018 - 06:31 AM.

#2 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:59 AM

Yeah, don't hold your breath.

#3 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:19 AM

I don't see why not. The omni mech restrictions that exist in the game currently were not present in the original construction rules on TT, so you can make up whatever rules you want.

Whether or not anyone will go for this is another question entirely.

#4 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:27 AM

I doubt PGI is going to make construction rules for IS omnis different than clans. Can you imagine the moaning about favoritism if they did?

#5 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:33 AM

View PostMole, on 26 February 2018 - 06:27 AM, said:

I doubt PGI is going to make construction rules for IS omnis different than clans. Can you imagine the moaning about favoritism if they did?

This assumes that they'd be able to change IS Omnis without making any changes to Clan Omnis, and let's be honest, they probably can't. Even if they did, the IS would still complain about how LFEs are heavier than Clan XLs.

Furthermore, this entire concept is based around the thought that IS Omnis would be good if you swapped the engine for something other than an IS XL. They wouldn't, just like Clan Omnis aren't even that good (outside of a few strong performers like the HBR). Battlemechs are already top of the heap because full customization is better than partial customization with locked equipment, even if you allow them to swap engines.

#6 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:39 AM

No.

Make ISXL balanced with cXL instead so it's not a disadvantage to have it.

#7 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:51 AM

Probably just supplemental quirks. Like, uuuuge quirks.

#8 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:09 AM

I really doubt PGI would take this route. Monster ST structure quirks are probably the easiest solution (And for once, the appropriate one, unlike most structure quirks).

#9 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:16 AM

View Postprocess, on 26 February 2018 - 06:51 AM, said:

Probably just supplemental quirks. Like, uuuuge quirks.

The TBT-7K is an example of this. With its weight class, small side torsos, and massive side torso armor/structure quirks, you'd be crazy to take anything except an XL engine on it. Unskilled, it's side torso armor/structure is 62/38, while its center torso is 64/32.

Posted Image

Edited by Alcom Isst, 26 February 2018 - 09:17 AM.

#10 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

I'd much rather see I.S. Omni's keep the same Engine Rating when trading XL<->LFE<->Std.

It keeps all variants at the same speed (same as clans).
It gives a better trade-off between payload vs. vulnerability (Engine Rating/speed has diminishing returns with larger mechs).
You can apply the same system to Clan Mechs without breaking the game and keep the tech bases 'balanced'.

#11 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 26 February 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

You can apply the same system to Clan Mechs without breaking the game and keep the tech bases 'balanced'.

Don't sure if that is actually needed. C-XL have the weight of XL engines but the survivability and slots of light engines.
Of course there is more to factor in but that in itself is already a big advantage.

#12 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:16 AM

Quirks would be enough if sufficiently done. Layer both structure, armor, and perhaps even crit reduction. Throw in more twist speed to their base agility.

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:27 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 26 February 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

Don't sure if that is actually needed. C-XL have the weight of XL engines but the survivability and slots of light engines.
Of course there is more to factor in but that in itself is already a big advantage.

And that's the best bit, Clan's don't gain any noticeable buff from doing it this way this except for a few niche scenarios such as getting a gauss in a Gyr's ST, but even then they're trading pod-space (tonnage) to do so. Keeping the same pod-space and giving them more slots is a recipe for bigger Alpha's with better cooling.

It's the most balanced approach. It keeps both sides mechanically the same while giving the I.S. better options.

Edit: And yes, you can still quirk the 'mechs for survivability but they wouldn't need to be as excessive as if they were XL only.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 26 February 2018 - 11:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users