- - - - -

Driving My Mech

14 replies to this topic

#1 SharDar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:35 PM

I'm struggling with controlling my mech. I use a mouse and keyboard, controlling the movement of my mech with the A, S, D, and W keys. I have throttle decay turned on. I'm happy with my forward and backward movement, but my lateral movement with the A and D keys is terrible. I single press of A or D results in wild swings to the left or right. This causes my to swing way too far and have to readjust my aim point with the mouse. I miss a lot of shots because of this.

I have my keyboard repeat set to take about a half second for repeats to kick in, so it's not that I'm getting multiple A or D inputs.

I would like to be able to turn my mech more smoothly. So that it is easier to keep my enemy targetted. What am I doing wrong?

#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:00 PM

I feel your pain SharDar, I'm useless using the keyboard. I ended up using rudder pedals to steer.

Perhaps someone else will post here with advice.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#3 SharDar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:25 AM

When I watch the Baradul videos, he is able to control his mechs so well. I build the same mechs and I can't do **** with them. I guess it is all about the player, but that doesn't leave me much hope for ever becoming good at this game.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:16 AM

View PostSharDar, on 11 July 2020 - 10:25 AM, said:

When I watch the Baradul videos, he is able to control his mechs so well. I build the same mechs and I can't do **** with them. I guess it is all about the player, but that doesn't leave me much hope for ever becoming good at this game.

What are your system specs? And what game settings are you using, including AA? Hit F9 and note your FPS.

Some of the differences is getting used to moving your mouse while turning but overall you are not doing anything wrong, default settings can make some things more difficult, but turning the mech via keyboard just works that way. PGI did not mean for it to be used for precision aiming of the crosshairs.

Also, what do you have your mouse sensitivity setting at in-game? The default/all to the right can make it difficult to control your crosshairs, especially when Arm Lock is toggled off.
  • In Settings, keyboard, disable Arm Lock (wait.. hit the X next to the keystroke) then set Toggle Arm Lock. Regardless of your default setting on Game settings, this allows you to toggle off/on. On means your arms are locked to the torso so all weapons hit the same spot, whereas Arms Locked off gives you a wider range for ARM mounted weapons.
  • In Settings, Game Mouse Accel/Smooth to zero/0, then sensitivity between 0.1 to 0.3. Adjust to preference.
  • General - Check mark Color Blind Friendly Reticule - When hitting a target, it adds extra crosshair lines instead of everything flashing red.
  • As for actual turning, some players maybe using joysticks/rudders/gamepad just for turning mechs, allowing a smoother turn instead of a twitch/set amount of turn. Analog vs Digital.. no.. Analog vs mind blank on it.. zero- something... Using a Joystick for crosshairs/twisting is available but is difficult to setup and can be frustrating.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 12 July 2020 - 09:21 AM.

#5 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:57 AM

While getting accustomed to the general movement in MWO may take a little, sooner or later you learn to permanently adjust and smooth out your upper torso and leg movement accordingly.

I'd advice not to "tip" the A and D keys for combined lower- and upper FOV- /aim adjustments, but to press em in a more "flowing or constant way" (A or D always combined with the W or S) until you have reached the preferred FOV. It is like when driving a battle-tank you - as a driver - had to support the gunners manual aiming (when the electronics/hydraulics went down out after a hit) by moving the tank on its high-axis. You try (!) not to do it in bursts but in one smooth movement.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 14 July 2020 - 02:59 AM.

#6 SharDar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:38 AM

I've got a reasonably state-of-the-art system:
Intel 9900K
NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super
32 GB RAM
M2 drives

I have a 34" monitor that supports 120hz, and I get between 60 and 140 FPS at 3440x1400, depending on the screen and complexity being rendered. That extra width is a REAL advantage because the field of view is so wide. When spectating, I see mechs on the side that the pilot can't see. Am I allowed to call those out, or is interference by spectators verboten?

My issues don't seem to be with my hardware.

I do start with my arms locked.
My mouse sensitivity is very low, probably 0.2 right now. I have a Logitech mouse that allows me to vary the sensitivity with a button press. I start at 800dpi and ramp down to 300, 200, and 100 as needed based on my aiming needs.

The issue I'm trying to solve here is that a single press of the A or D key swings the mech wildly to the right or left. Further on my lights than on my heavies. I'll have to look into rudder pedals. I'll want to those for MS Flight Sim when that comes out next month.

Thanks for your help!

#7 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:04 AM

View PostSharDar, on 16 July 2020 - 10:38 AM, said:

I have a 34" monitor that supports 120hz, and I get between 60 and 140 FPS at 3440x1400, depending on the screen and complexity being rendered. That extra width is a REAL advantage because the field of view is so wide. When spectating, I see mechs on the side that the pilot can't see. Am I allowed to call those out, or is interference by spectators verboten?
Perfectly allowed.

#8 Bakaneko

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:22 PM

You can also try classic joystick + mouse combo. Thrustmaster m.16000 joysticks are dirt cheap and can be configured left or right handed. Throttle on joystick y and turning on x and torso on mouse. With joysticks smooth analog output and little bit of practice, you can keep crosshair locked on target while zigzagging. Only place where keyboard jerkiness is good, is with fast light mech, when dodging incoming fire.

#9 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:43 PM

Edit: I missed a response that was already in the original post, so nearly all of my comments were superfluous. Sorry about that.

I will say as a general rule, though - don't aim with your legs. Turning is all-or-nothing, so it's very hard to aim well while in a turn, because you can't synch your turn rate with your torso twisting speed. Also on the subject of aiming, I strongly recommend you keep your arms locked to your torso, with a "press to unlock arms" key (not a toggle.) It's more effective to have all your guns pointed in the same direction with the option to use your arms. Of course, if you can calibrate an analog turning option, you get the best of both worlds - pay attention to how big the stick's dead zone is, however. You're going to want to zigzag quickly back and forth with faster 'mechs.

Edited by Void Angel, 26 July 2020 - 02:22 PM.

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:32 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 20 July 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

Also on the subject of aiming, I strongly recommend you keep your arms locked to your torso, with a "press to unlock arms" key (not a toggle.) It's more effective to have all your guns pointed in the same direction with the option to use your arms.
I recommend using the toggle. When you need to use your arms alone, just tap it and then tap again to re-lock.

#11 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:34 PM

Wow, I tried to respond to that a week ago. Internet's been BAAAAD over here.

My only issue with using a toggle is that it's an extra control order from a push to unlock; it's not wrong to use a toggle, but it's an extra step - whether the difference is enough to override personal comfort is another matter.

Also, I hope the OP got the help he needed... kinda dropped out of the thread.

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:39 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 26 July 2020 - 11:34 PM, said:

My only issue with using a toggle is that it's an extra control order from a push to unlock; it's not wrong to use a toggle, but it's an extra step - whether the difference is enough to override personal comfort is another matter.
But one you only have to do briefly, rather than hold the button the whole time you need to have your arms unlocked (which kinda prevents you from eg using your pinky to use PTT VOIP).

#13 Mechaholics Anonymous

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMechsico, Amechrica, JahMecha, Mechssachusetts, New BrunsMech, Mechxas, Mechtropolis, A..MARIKa

Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:33 AM

Not sure if it helps but the F button centers your torso to your legs and the C button centers your legs to your torso. Helps while running and gunning.

#14 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:19 PM

Just tap the turn buttons rather than press them.
Personally I would switch throttle decay off to reduce your work load
Set your cruise control Posted Image to your desired speed and then tap turn as required...Shoot enemies with mouse.

#15 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:50 AM

View PostMechaholics Anonymous, on 28 July 2020 - 11:33 AM, said:

Not sure if it helps but the F button centers your torso to your legs and the C button centers your legs to your torso. Helps while running and gunning.

I THINK you have F/C backwards?
I often drive with centering torso to legs a lot. My muscle memory is telling me that's 'F'.
Possibly from looking around corners, possibly because it just gives you cross hairs to 'aim' where you're going to drive.
AKA... stomping along, look to the side, see an enemy, or a gap between rocks... point cross hairs where you want to go, hit 'F'. Then just keep your mouse centered on it while your mech's legs smoothly turn you in that direction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users