Video Card Suggestions

11 replies to this topic

#1 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

Hey folks. I'm trying to get my nephew into MWO I run it on an ancient POS. I'm trying to build him a rig for next to nothing.

We are at the video card stage.A little help?

#2 DFM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

Video cards have jumped considerably higher in the past year. Even Team Green(NVidia) have been hit with it over the past 6 months.

I bought a GTX 1050TI MSI Gaming X on sale for $159($179 normal) about 5 months ago. Now said card runs anywhere between $209 and $229...

It's good enough on my system to run my 27" in 1080P (1920x1080) @60FPS with everything pegged at max for the most part. Recently, when i start getting pegged by multiple Dakka MK2's it slowed down considerably. Finally tracked this down to the kids using Nvidia's game experience to "optimize" the game settings(as well as every other game on the system).

If you look around you can still find some basic 1050's for under $175. Thats where I would head.

Sadly, it's not a good time to replace a GPU.

That being said, if there is a computer store near you, It might be worth heading there to see about Open box/Returns. Price can go down considerably with that. Just be careful though, as you can get a good deal on a GPU thats much more powerful for the same $$ and not be able to run it without upgrading other things you have either already purchased or budgeted for(Case, PSU). Not that that's happened to me at all recently...

Edited by DFM, 24 February 2018 - 11:38 AM.

#3 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

I'd get a 1050ti at a minimum and the best cpu you can afford. Its that Ram thats seems to blowout computer budgets these days though.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 24 February 2018 - 12:22 PM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

Before suggesting a card...

You're upgrading an existing system, correct?

We need to know about the existing system, otherwise a modern or post-modern card would be worthless paperweight to your ancient computer.

We're talking about a computer and not a laptop right?

#5 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:47 AM

at this point I would suggest buying an old card

that video might be dated, about a year old, but the market for graphic cards hasn't moved a lot anyway
if anything it became less advantageous for gamers

took some screens
one is points in 3D mark, its a good enough rough chart to get an idea on performance of those older cards
and the second one is for price, although at the time (march last year)
Spoiler

just have a looksie at Ebay or something and buy what you can afford

btw, I hope on the CPU side you've got at least a Ryzen (AMD side) or at least a good overclocker from Intel
MWO is very finicky on the CPU side, well at least once you have a 1050 or so for 1080p

and to top that off

if we are talking as low as a 1030, and a system really squeezed for money
the Ryzen 2400G has a great integrated GPU (while keeping settings down, but compared to a GTX 1030)

IF you have gotten a Ryzen system, it might be good to return the CPU and pop in a 2400G
the board would stay the same anyway

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Peter2k, 25 February 2018 - 01:58 AM.

#6 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:56 AM

More details are nessessary to give you any kind of reasonable advice.

Otherwise don't build next to nothing PCs.
An all around ok'ish gaming multimedia/PC will cost you 1000$ and upwards and will be upgradeable after 3 to 5 years.
Everything else is just throwing money to the trashbin.
Seriously if you don't invest a minium ammount you are just wasting good money to be fustrated after a year or two. (or outright now when you see how ****** it performs for something you spent money on)

Edited by The Basilisk, 25 February 2018 - 02:07 AM.

#7 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:47 AM

Graphic cards are at an all time high due to [redacted]s buying cards for bitcoin mining.
I've looked for a new graphics card myself, but prices are just too high atm.

Hopefully graphic card producers will soon release premium series crypto currency mining cards for all the [redacted]s to buy so we 'normal' people can aquire a 'normal' graphics card without trading in our firstborn child or selling our liver.

Can't wait for the crypto mining hype to be over.

TL;DR: best to wait two-three months until prices are back to normal again.

Edited by Exilyth, 01 March 2018 - 03:24 PM.

#8 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

View PostAureliusDean, on 24 February 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Hey folks. I'm trying to get my nephew into MWO I run it on an ancient POS. I'm trying to build him a rig for next to nothing.

@OP THIS IS IMPORTANT:
MWO performance is very CPU bound. Rather than purchasing a high-end video card (which will have very little effect on improving MWO performance) you are going to need a excellent processor, and, Intel seems to do a bit better than AMD (prior to the security patch Intel put out)

So, just go with an mid-range card, rather than top-end and you will be just fine (so long as you spend the money you saved on a good CPU and mainboard).

#9 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 25 February 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

@OP THIS IS IMPORTANT:
MWO performance is very CPU bound. Rather than purchasing a high-end video card (which will have very little effect on improving MWO performance) you are going to need a excellent processor, and, Intel seems to do a bit better than AMD (prior to the security patch Intel put out)

So, just go with an mid-range card, rather than top-end and you will be just fine (so long as you spend the money you saved on a good CPU and mainboard).

Well he did say next to nothing, so I'm assuming it's rather low end
Like a 1030

The thing is
A Ryzen performs well enough in MWO, but the integrated GPU in the second generation is rather good compared to low end cards
And you can still put a better cooler on the 2400G and overclock the APU and the CPU as well

If anything I would suggest going with used parts these days
Even mid range, that's about 400 bucks these days, as even 1060 cards are too expensive than they should be
Also RAM prices, lé sigh

#10 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

Need more info. Parts on hand, budget, etc.

#11 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

View PostAureliusDean, on 24 February 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

What's your budget? What components do you have already, if you have any?

#12 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 25 February 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

@OP THIS IS IMPORTANT: MWO performance is very CPU bound. Rather than purchasing a high-end video card (which will have very little effect on improving MWO performance) you are going to need a excellent processor, and, Intel seems to do a bit better than AMD (prior to the security patch Intel put out) So, just go with an mid-range card, rather than top-end and you will be just fine (so long as you spend the money you saved on a good CPU and mainboard).

Absolutely. For many other games CPU is also pretty important, in limited budget. GPU load can be adjusted with graphics settings, but they help little to offset weak CPU. GPU becomes important only once the CPU is good enough and person wants to play top games with high graphics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users