35 replies to this topic

#1 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:57 AM

Edit 2018-03-03: Changed 1a and 1b and added 5. for matchmaker (including limited mix tech)

Most of us wanted to have some goal/meaning in Community Warfare (FW) and many are not playing that game mode without a bigger goal or metagame.

I would try something like this to finally have a goal and metagame around factions and planetary conquest:

1.) The Launch Windows now only checks/asks if you want Scouting, Invasion or both game modes (if your group is meeting the tonnage limits) and all games are part of the Faction Warfare modes.
Solos will not be together with groups in any mode.

1a.) Scouting remains as 4vs4, but you can automatically select Scouting game mode in the game mode selection screen if your group/tonnage fits .
solo/group queue separated (with QP matchmaker).

1b.) Quick Play uses all the Faction Play maps and the player can select in the game mode screen if they want to play "Single-Mech" style (with lower base structure health in invasion mode) or use a "static" dropdeck of the same mech 4x (4 drops).
QP uses the existing matchmaking - and is for solo only.
maybe 8vs8 only.

outdated old version in the spoilers
Spoiler

1c.) Invasion Faction Play uses the existing drop deck functionality and is up to 12vs12, but only groups are matched by using the matchmaker rules from current quick play group queue (minus the tonnage matching, as it only needs to match clan/is)

Additionally some changes to the Map/Planetary system come into play to gain and spend resources.

2.) Faction Plan lobby will have a new interface for spending the resources.
Players, Factions and Units gain resource points for each game (Scouting / QP / FP), with a soft cap, (more from conquest/domination modes and more for FP games in general) which can be used to "unlock" certain stuff for the Faction Play games by the group/company leader(s) each game.

2a.) Unit officers can use unit resources/coffer

2b.) Any player can add his personal resources (even Loyalists)

2c.) Points are only spend if the group has enough points to unlock the feat together

2d.) Factions have different bonus values that can increase if the faction owns more planets

2e.) Units automatically gain 5% resources into the unit coffer (similar to the 5% GXP of the mech XP)

3.) FP Drop Feats to unlock with resources on the launch window
Multiple areas to spend your pilot/group/unit resources
- Faction Camo and colors (default colors) automatically set ingame for the player/team - low cost per game

- Turret upgrades (health / range / dmg) for Invasion defender game - medium cost per game
- Generator upgrades (health) for Invasion defender game - medium cost per game
- Tower upgrades (health / duration / range) only for Incursion game modes - medium cost per game

- Dropship upgrades (higher tonnage) unlocks "extra" dropdeck - high cost per game
- Dropship downgrade (lower tonnage, faster respawn speed) allows to "save" some resource points with lower drop weight for a 5th mech drop - medium cost per game

- Air supperiority provides you shorter cooldowns on Airstrikes and longer cooldowns of the enemy airstrikes - high cost per game (only one team can have this active)
- Ground supperiority provides you shorter cooldowns on Artillery support and longer cooldowns of the enemy Artillery - high cost per game (only one team can have this active)

- AI controlled resource/repair convois that can repair turrets/towers/generators if they reach the base - can be intercepted by the enemy team - Air/Land crafts require "Air/Ground supperiority" - high cost per game

4.) Faction Bonuses (always active in all modes, if applicable)
Multiple bonuses can be applied and are depending on owned/conquered Planets per season:
- all IS factions get 10-30% discount on "Air/Ground" feats
- all Clan factions get 20-50% discount on "Dropship downgrade" (down-bidding)
- all Clan factions get X% less payment on losses, but X% more ressources/loyalty on victories
- all Clan factions get bonus to xyz
- all factions get bonus loyalty/ressources when piloting faction specific variants
- all factions have 5-10% better armor/agility when piloting faction specific variants
- Mercs get 50% of their employer bonuses
- Mercs get X% more resources/payment
- Mercs get X% discount on "Ground supperiority" feat

- Weapon buffs to range/cooldown about 5-10% (depending on planets)
- Steiner gets 15-40% discount for "Dropship Upgrade" feat
- Steiner gets X% buff to Assault mech speed and Gauss Rifles
- Davion gets X% buff to agility of Medium mechs
- Davion gets X% buff to Ballistics and ML
- Liao gets 15-40% buff to range/duration on ECM, BAP, Stealth Armor, UAV and scouting/incursion sensor effects
- Liao gets X% buff to SRM and Pulse Lasers
- Marik gets 15-40% discount on all turret/tower/generator and convoi feats
- Marik gets X% buff to speed of Heavy mechs
- Marik gets X% buff to LLaser and LRM
- Kurita gets 25-50% buff to all faction bonuses
- Kurita gets X% buff to PPCs and LRM
- FRR gets 15-50% discount for "Air supperiority" feat
- FRR gets X% buff to ER Lasers

- Clan Wolf gets X% buff to short range weapons and UACs/LRM
- Clan Jadefalcon gets X% buff to medium range weapons and LBX/PPC
- Clan Smoke Jaguar gets X% buff to long range weapons and Gauss/Streak
- Clan Ghost Bear gets X% buff to short weapons and SRM/Laser

5. Faction Group Composition is decided by the largest majority group.
- The matchmaker will prioritize one one side and tires to do between 75% and 100% on one side (e.g. 10 IS Mechs and max of 2 Clan Mechs)
- - If the group consists of mostly IS Pilots, the drop is on the IS side (and same for Clan side)
- - Dropdecks need to be pure tech for each pilot (e.g. 10 IS pilots all needs to have 4 IS mechs and the 2 Clan Pilots need to bring Clan mechs only)
- - Group wide Faction Bonuses are depending on the groups major faction (e.g. major IS faction is Steiner, so you only get Steiner Feat bonuses)
- - Personal Faction Bonuses are independent on the groups major faction (e.g. as a Steiner Pilot, you will still get your X% buff to your Assault mechs, even if the group is Clan Wolf).

Edited by Reno Blade, 03 March 2018 - 07:23 AM.

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

Bringing drop decks to regular QP is an automatic full stop no-go.

#3 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

You saw the part where solo quick play is automatically 4x selected (same) mech, right?
So new players would have no need to fiddle with the drop deck mechanic.

Well, if you got a better idea, put it on the table. My focus is on a global interaction of every player.

#4 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 27 February 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

You saw the part where solo quick play is automatically 4x selected (same) mech, right?
So new players would have no need to fiddle with the drop deck mechanic.

I will not play the game if I have to use a drop deck, individual Mechs or cloned. It's not acceptable.

Well, if you got a better idea, put it on the table. My focus is on a global interaction of every player.

I don't want to interact with every player though, and I don't want to play every mode.

#5 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:40 AM

The biggest argument against QP having anything resembling decks (even if 4x same mech) is that if my team is entirely full of poatoes, I want out of that drop as fast as possible. The only thing worse than going 0-12 is going like 12-48. Being forced to stay for 25 minutes of getting stomped sucks. Its the main reason I don't like to PUG FP drop.

#6 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

Edit 2018-03-03: Changed 1a and 1b to include the Game mode selection screen option for Single-Mech and 4-Mech system and point 5 for the change to the matchmaker to include the major faction of the drop (including limited mix tech group).

One thing I'm not sure of is if the Solo Faction Play mode should include the new Resource spending for the objective buffs or not. (especially as there multiple factions involved).

I've also added the ability for groups with mixed tech playing the game together in point 5.
It's limited to 2-3 mechs per side and this will allow some kind of "meta game" to play around with some interesting Faction Bonus % to be included in your group composition.

#7 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:46 AM

A better idea is the concept of an (almost) "endless war" based on objectives and using the wait queue as a reinforcement system. Players waiting on the queue are dropped in battles that need "reinforcements" to replace dead warriors.

#8 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:52 AM

I don't play Faction Play because Siege is terrible.

#9 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

quickplay should be fully integrated into faction warfare

and there should be seperate queues for pugs and groups in faction warfare

when you do faction play, your choices should be 4v4 scoutmode, 8v8 quickplay (one life), or 12v12 invasion (respawns)

so basically quickplay would be exactly the same as it is now but 8v8 and youd get loyalty points for it. and quickplay games would contribute to your faction capturing planets.

whats not to like about that? quickplay stays the same (just becomes 8v8 like it should be anyway), and you get better rewards for it.

Edited by Khobai, 03 March 2018 - 08:10 AM.

#10 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

View PostKhobai, on 03 March 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

quickplay should be fully integrated into faction warfare

and there should be seperate queues for pugs and groups in faction warfare

when you do faction play, your choices should be 4v4 scoutmode, 8v8 quickplay (one life), or 12v12 invasion (respawns)

so basically quickplay would be exactly the same as it is now but 8v8 and youd get loyalty points for it. and quickplay games would contribute to your faction capturing planets.

Unfortunately, that one-dimensional "tug of war" system would still be in the way. What we need is some sort of a planetary campaign system.

Also, in the absence of such a campaign system, I still say that hard solo and group separation is still a non-starter.

Edited by Mystere, 03 March 2018 - 08:12 AM.

#11 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:24 AM

i wouldnt be against a planetary campaign system

but they definitely need to have separate queues for pugs and groups regardless.

#12 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

View PostKhobai, on 03 March 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

i wouldnt be against a planetary campaign system

but they definitely need to have separate queues for pugs and groups regardless.

A simplistic hard separation is "Meh!".

Treating solo players as militia and second-line forces and implementing that as part of the campaign system is going to be better.

Use them as stopgaps and garrison troops while waiting for the regular and elite forces to arrive.

Keep them in reserve or as reinforcements during assaults and sieges.

Organize them into ambushes a la Teutoburg Forest.

Use them as bait for traps.

There is so much you can do beyond just "separate solos from groups" with a campaign system.

Finally, dump the concept of "matches" and all traces of it into the trash bin where they belong.

Edited by Mystere, 03 March 2018 - 08:42 AM.

#13 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

Only thing that absolutely drives me up the wall is the faction specific bonuses. Now we will see everyone go a very specific faction just to reinforce the meta. lemme guess, most people will take mid-long range benefiting factions, since brawl is too situational, or stupid things like buff to assault speed. If these buffs end up being more then ~5% of any stat itll be utterly unfair when one faction becomes dominant now rather then being able to pick any faction like b4...

Aside from that, well ill have to see whether the game dies or not. it sure isnt gonna make everyone happy.

#14 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

View Postpanzer1b, on 03 March 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Only thing that absolutely drives me up the wall is the faction specific bonuses. Now we will see everyone go a very specific faction just to reinforce the meta. lemme guess, most people will take mid-long range benefiting factions, since brawl is too situational, or stupid things like buff to assault speed. If these buffs end up being more then ~5% of any stat itll be utterly unfair when one faction becomes dominant now rather then being able to pick any faction like b4...

Aside from that, well ill have to see whether the game dies or not. it sure isnt gonna make everyone happy.

Now imagine if a planetary campaign involved a significant number of "urban assaults" with bitter street-to-street fighting. Posted Image

#15 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:38 AM

View Postpanzer1b, on 03 March 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

I used the X% bonus idea to give a reason to gain more planets, but on the other hand for balancing it might be needed to have some kind of inverse %.
e.g. if your faction LOST X% planets you GAIN X% buff to counter your losing streak.

But any how this will be a "meta game" that can be played, so each buff and value is something to balance and carefully think of the outcome.

I'm open to suggestions and hope my list gives a good starting point.

In regards to global campaign: i thought of some kind of event like global mission before.
e.g.
Daily missions:
- Kill 20 players of Faction XYZ
- Defend 5 Bases while having a Loyalist contract
- Win 10 battles in a Davion mech with autocannons
- Survive 10 battles

Weekly missions:
- Complete 5 daily missions
- Defend 3 Planets
- Scout on 5 different planets
- Place on top 50 rank on class/mech xyz
- Salvage 5mio CB worth of battle salvage

Monthly missions/campaigns:
- Complete 3 weekly missions -> participation ribbon

season campaigns (3-6months):
- Compete 12 weekly missions -> war veteran ribbon/star
- Place on top 50 players in x weeks -> Champion banner/star

But i guess these are too close to "Events" ?

#16 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:13 AM

I like the idea op but there are people here that will put any ideas down just out of spite..

#17 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:04 AM

I don't play FP for a reason. I'm sure there are a non-insignificant number of people like me, who want literally nothing to do with that mode. Forcing it on us will not increase the number of FP games played - it will see the total population of the game drop, and everyone will suffer for it.

#18 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:42 AM

View PostSeranov, on 04 March 2018 - 06:04 AM, said:

I don't play FP for a reason. I'm sure there are a non-insignificant number of people like me, who want literally nothing to do with that mode. Forcing it on us will not increase the number of FP games played - it will see the total population of the game drop, and everyone will suffer for it.

Are you playing solo or group mostly?
in my suggestion, there would be nearly no change for solo players outside of the game mode and map voting now including FP maps as well.

#19 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:52 AM

I'm all for integrating QP and FP in some way, indeed I think that's the only possible solution to salvage FP.

I think whatever the exact solution is, the most important thing is that it must be fairly invisible to the QP player. You enter the game as easily as now. No need to set up a drop deck. The average match must not be longer than now.

The core thing about Quick Play is the "quick" part, this is where most people will always go, and it's the mainstay in any F2P shooter.

They key thing to accept here is that 90% (probably more) of MWO is in quick play. Any other mode can fail, and it's relatively inconsequential, but if QP fails then MWO fails. So you need to be exceptionally conservative about any change done to QP gameplay.

Edited by jss78, 04 March 2018 - 08:53 AM.

#20 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:17 AM

bump. any other comments?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users