No Longer Fun

76 replies to this topic

#21 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

View PostAsym, on 26 February 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

Hey El, and very boring...... Same stuff, over and over and over with the same 13 people in QP during the day on the same maps, doing the same crap..............(sigh.....and, I'm not at all drunk.) FREE? ok, it's f2p and that's about it......

get GuD? Seriously? With the hit box issues, the preciaion issues, the parralax issues with fram rate progression errors, get GuD how? I've seen ERPPC's miss open standing targerts, 12 in a row and they weren't actual misses: just frame errors at extreme ranges... nerf's out the butt to extend TTK for Solaris. FP and NO ONE IS THERE...... ghost drops....

Look, I appreciate all of the advice and assistance but, you can't gloss over the absolute incompetence of the game's ability to be first rate and world class.....

OP, it's just the way it is till Solaris; and, either it will be a whopping success with 1242 players who want to fight 1x1/2x2 (with the other 29,000 leaving or watching) or just implode.

You missed the point. OP is mostly complaining about how this game is P2W, and he can't feel like he can compete without dropping hundreds of dollars. Which is wrong. As I pointed out, you can buy competitive mechs with C-Bills, and the rest he had to do was to git gud, in order to compete.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 February 2018 - 01:38 AM.

#22 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:14 AM

View Postipaam, on 26 February 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

I was off for a almost a year, and part of that was when the skill tree got changed to a weird skill tree that resembles a Final Fantasy game. I had not kept up with what was meta or close to it. The PUG were horrible and very unforgiving. I haven't played in a few months because it feels like I must buy all the mechs, that I failed to purchase in the last year and study all the mech builds before I could compete in regular matches. I have spent well over $800 into this game already and it seems to never end with the mech pack money grabs, that seems to further dilute the game. Years ago you could see the readout of the type of mech and pretty much figure out what it may be carrying and if the load out. If it slightly off you could figure out where they had changed the config at(i.e. had no heat sinks or lower armor). After being out for 7 months I couldn't jump back in like I had been playing. Hell even CS:GO seemed more evenly matched and less salty players back in summer of 2017.
I have met many cool players through this game and enjoyed my time playing it when I threw 5 hours + in a day. But this game requires too much time, money, and tweaking. It's not at all fun at the level that I play at.

You really must have been drunk when you wrote the OP, cose' you could not be more wrong..

First off, the game requires literally no money.. as in zero.. zilch.. nada.. nula..

Secondly, you absolutely don't have to have all the new mechs to be competitive.. all the best mechs are out for cbills.. and many of the old, even ancient ones are super viable..

Here are some of my favorites that are still super useful: Awesome, Highlander, TimberWolf, MadDog, Hellbringer, MystLynx, Arctic Cheetah, Locust.. The list goes on and on..

So I don't know what you're on, but you are simply incorrect.. maybe this game is simply not for you?

Trust me, there's NOTHING that a brand new, not-yet-out-for-MC mech can offer you to be more competitive than a released-in-closed-beta Awesome.

That's actually a bad thing.. cose' we keep getting the same old thing in a new mech's skin.. and the game itself is stale..

Edited by Vellron2005, 27 February 2018 - 12:18 AM.

#23 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:18 AM

Much as I tend to laugh about people grabdealing, OP is in even a worse space.

He thinks you have to grabdeal to win and then uses this to justify not winning.

<--- another F2P guy doing just fine without opening his wallet.

#24 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:51 AM

I disagree. It's not a P2W model but face it, without premium time and events that give you premium time and MC, you are stuck with a horrendus grind that is absoutely no fun at all.... Unless, you are a natural videogamer with twitch game instincts that quickly identify exploits, hacks and patterns........especially patterns, that repeat over and over and over again...you are in for a LONG and very painful grind.

So Vel:

Yes you do; not to lose you mind and quit. Premium Time is $$$. +30 capability mechs are MC/$$$.... the cBill mechs are there; and, "isn't that special" but, the Hero Mechs are for CASH.... Yes, you can buy a cBill Omni mech but, you'll end up purchasing the other variant omni's to make it close to the Hero's layouts or the best configurations... Free, sort of.... Grind time is money because it's a cost to you !

Actually, yes you do.... The +30 mechs aren't for cBills..... No premium time and no +30 percent is a miserable grind; if you are an average player.

Make fun of the reality most of us have faced if you like, because it really doesn't matter, this is a small niche game and that inner core will still be there when they turn the lights out.......

But, if you want to grow the player base back, we really do need to work on "people skills" and lose the superior attitude because, the fact is, that MWO is one of the least populated games I play and the "purge effect" seems to be still present:..... get GuD or leave......OK, thousands have left: happy now?

If I select FP right now, I'd get a ghost drop. If I go to any number of other games I play, like WoW just 5 minutes ago, there were 26K playing at just my level......... LoL has an average of 7.5 million every hour of every day. We have ghost drops......no FP development......a game mode coming which is the complete opposite of where the game started (and, they paid real $$$$ to be there.) Now, I need a drink because playing MWO looped and giggling is the only way to have fun !!!

Sorry.... Being "correct" and being "in context" are two different things.

#25 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:18 AM

A couple of thoughts:

-The skill tree looks fussy the first handful of times through. After that you will basically know "Hmmm this mech needs armor (click 18 times on Survival tree), lasers (click 38 FirePower nodes) oh and it's got ECM (click 9 Sensors nodes) and I guess I will dump the rest in Mobility." Once you've built about 4 different mech types it'll become routine.

-You may have spent a lot on MWO but as others have pointed out, the game doesn't require it. Most of the meta mechs are available for C-bills.

-It is always harsh coming back to a game after a long break. I just took a stab at World of Tanks this past week to help out a friend with some goals. I don't recognize half the tanks, nearly everyone is shooting premium/gold ammo, there are super fast tanks with auto-loader guns that just rip you apart etc etc. New gear, new equipment, new rewards systems. The MM is terrible and the players are worse, and frankly I'm not much better.

Essentially, you are saying you took over a year off, come back, and want to play at the same level you did before right away. Without practice, learning what has changed, getting some time out on the battlefield etc. You want the game to have completely stagnated while you were not interested in playing. That would be death for MWO.

You would be better off to lower your expectations, ignore your battle results for a while, and just deal with one thing at a time. Skill tree, then new tech, then recent meta (surprise, it's PPFLD!), and as you do that you will learn to recognize new mechs and new builds on the field.

#26 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:22 AM

Op you don't need to buy mech with cash just grind cbils and play with the old boring crappy garbage while everyone else buys the latest cool shiny best mechs..

That said its a free to play game of course a company is gonna try to **** you money wise... Its PGI you know we know it.. enjoy the cbil grind.

#27 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:37 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 February 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

Disagree on the money part. You can play the game without spending a single dime and still do really good in QP. Especially since the buy three to elite 1 rule is gone.

No one forces you to do all of them at once, and I bet you only main a couple dozen at most. Most importantly, once you get used to it, you can select 91 nodes for a mech in less than a minute. It is not complicated once you know what kinda mech you wanna pilot.

Yeah, i think you have to reevaluate the cost analysis here.

Locust comes at about 1.5M CB. Full Skill tree without detours is 4M Cbills. All together 5.5Million for 1 Mech.

Times 3 is 16.5 Million for 3 Fully Skilled mechs.

In the old system it was 4.5Million for 3 Locust to master plus perhpas seismic sensors and a few which could be swapped - thats if i remember correctly 6millions plus lets say 2 times 3 millions, Ending up in 16.5M Cbills.

Time wise, leveling 1 mech now takes more time than leveling 3 mechs under the old system, at least for me. I dont bother to do so anymore. After mastering about 30-40 Mechs i still have 12k SP left. Which i know are badly spend, because after leving the mechs i earl more xp on them an just earn more and more xp that will jsut aly dorment on the emch never tob e used again. perhaps in the event of an extrem requirkening a few nodes might change...

If we look at kodiaks for example, comming at 16M CB per mech yeas you are right. But as soon as the skilltree costs rival the costs of the mech you are getting into a grey area.

If time is any consideratio to you the new system is worse for smaller mechs.

Edited by Cara Carcass, 27 February 2018 - 04:44 AM.

#28 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:03 AM

View PostAsym, on 26 February 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

get GuD? Seriously? With the hit box issues, the preciaion issues, the parralax issues with fram rate progression errors, get GuD how? I've seen ERPPC's miss open standing targerts, 12 in a row and they weren't actual misses: just frame errors at extreme ranges...

Excuses...

Every player has the same issues you described. The difference is that a top player will hit 9/10 PPCs on target where one is not registering, leaving him with 8/10 solid hits while the not-so-good player will only hit 2/10 PPCs on target of which a non-registering hit feels much more devastating. Not to even speak of positioning which is probably the most important skill in this game and where the skill gap between players is most prominent.

Watch the twitch streams of top players like Proton, Bear_cl4w or Juju and they will show you that git gud indeed is a thing. And in my experience getting better and being able to carry a team can make the game much more enjoyable than being the punching bag over and over.

Edited by Daggett, 27 February 2018 - 05:09 AM.

#29 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:11 AM

Someone should make a video about it or something...

#30 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:15 AM

View PostCara Carcass, on 27 February 2018 - 04:37 AM, said:

Locust comes at about 1.5M CB. Full Skill tree without detours is 4M Cbills. All together 5.5Million for 1 Mech.

In the old system it was 4.5Million for 3 Locust to master plus perhpas seismic sensors and a few which could be swapped - thats if i remember correctly 6millions plus lets say 2 times 3 millions, Ending up in 16.5M Cbills.

Time wise, leveling 1 mech now takes more time than leveling 3 mechs under the old system, at least for me. I dont bother to do so anymore. After mastering about 30-40 Mechs i still have 12k SP left. Which i know are badly spend, because after leving the mechs i earl more xp on them an just earn more and more xp that will jsut aly dorment on the emch never tob e used again. perhaps in the event of an extrem requirkening a few nodes might change...

If we look at kodiaks for example, comming at 16M CB per mech yeas you are right. But as soon as the skilltree costs rival the costs of the mech you are getting into a grey area.

All of what you said is misguided since in the old skill tree you had to buy three different varaints of the same chassis to level up the one you want. Which means you had to have three spare mechbays for each chassis, or you had to sell the ones you bought--which means you are losing out. You don't have that issue in the current system, which makes current system far superior for newbies, and F2Pers.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 February 2018 - 06:14 AM.

#31 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:03 AM

View PostAsym, on 27 February 2018 - 03:51 AM, said:

I disagree. It's not a P2W model but face it, without premium time and events that give you premium time and MC, you are stuck with a horrendus grind that is absoutely no fun at all.... Unless, you are a natural videogamer with twitch game instincts that quickly identify exploits, hacks and patterns........especially patterns, that repeat over and over and over again...you are in for a LONG and very painful grind.

So Vel:

Yes you do; not to lose you mind and quit. Premium Time is $$$. +30 capability mechs are MC/$$$.... the cBill mechs are there; and, "isn't that special" but, the Hero Mechs are for CASH.... Yes, you can buy a cBill Omni mech but, you'll end up purchasing the other variant omni's to make it close to the Hero's layouts or the best configurations... Free, sort of.... Grind time is money because it's a cost to you !

Actually, yes you do.... The +30 mechs aren't for cBills..... No premium time and no +30 percent is a miserable grind; if you are an average player.

Make fun of the reality most of us have faced if you like, because it really doesn't matter, this is a small niche game and that inner core will still be there when they turn the lights out.......

But, if you want to grow the player base back, we really do need to work on "people skills" and lose the superior attitude because, the fact is, that MWO is one of the least populated games I play and the "purge effect" seems to be still present:..... get GuD or leave......OK, thousands have left: happy now?

If I select FP right now, I'd get a ghost drop. If I go to any number of other games I play, like WoW just 5 minutes ago, there were 26K playing at just my level......... LoL has an average of 7.5 million every hour of every day. We have ghost drops......no FP development......a game mode coming which is the complete opposite of where the game started (and, they paid real $$$$ to be there.) Now, I need a drink because playing MWO looped and giggling is the only way to have fun !!!

Sorry.... Being "correct" and being "in context" are two different things.

wow...incoherent rambling WoT batman! Toxic: check! Half truths: check!

Khobai is that your other account?

#32 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:04 AM

I was off for a almost a year, and part of that was when the skill tree got changed to a weird skill tree that resembles a Final Fantasy game. I had not kept up with what was meta or close to it. The PUG were horrible and very unforgiving. I haven't played in a few months because it feels like I must buy all the mechs, that I failed to purchase in the last year and study all the mech builds before I could compete in regular matches. I have spent well over $800 into this game already and it seems to never end with the mech pack money grabs, that seems to further dilute the game. Years ago you could see the readout of the type of mech and pretty much figure out what it may be carrying and if the load out. If it slightly off you could figure out where they had changed the config at(i.e. had no heat sinks or lower armor). After being out for 7 months I couldn't jump back in like I had been playing. Hell even CS:GO seemed more evenly matched and less salty players back in summer of 2017.
I have met many cool players through this game and enjoyed my time playing it when I threw 5 hours + in a day. But this game requires too much time, money, and tweaking. It's not at all fun at the level that I play at.

Mate you must be as pissed as a parrot. Make sure you got a sober Bob to drive your Mech home for ya. :)

The skill tree is a huge improvment. Lots of guides out there so if you take as much time googling it as you did complaining you'll be fine. It's so simple once you know how.

I still run old builds no problem. As others have said, you don't need to spend a cent to be compedative. El is right about the MKII. The most OP Mech currently in game is there for CBills. If your struggeling it isn't the Mechs. You probably just need some time to blow the dust out and sharpen those skills again. A bit of guts and you'll be right mate.

#33 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:07 AM

@OP: Then stop playing, fam.

#34 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:11 AM

Game is not fun for me as well. I keep trying to play but unless Im running a clan laser build, its too frustrating to play.

#35 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:15 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 27 February 2018 - 06:11 AM, said:

Game is not fun for me as well. I keep trying to play but unless Im running a clan laser build, its too frustrating to play.

Seems you haven't experienced the climax that is dual HGR.

#36 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:18 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 February 2018 - 06:15 AM, said:

Seems you haven't experienced the climax that is dual HGR.

voting for maps really frustrates me and hardpoint inflation. I have some mechs that only have 3 or 4 hardpoints and their alphas are around 30...30 has been pathetic for years now. Then on the other end, you hop in a laser vomit mech and the game is just boring since all you are doing is alpha'ing, cooldown, alpha, cooldown, rinse and repeat.

Edited by mogs01gt, 27 February 2018 - 06:18 AM.

#37 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,897 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:31 AM

You’re selling the “fun” aspects of the game short. Much fun can be had in the following:
On the clan side we have:
MKII- Gauss/Vomit.
Clan assault thru medium mechs running 5-6ERML and 2 HLL or ERLL vomit, preferably in Hellbringers or Ebons but hell give a Hunchie a try too.
For the more skilled player there is also the Summoner dual ERPPC jump sniper.
MG boating Piranah, Mist Lynx and even the 6MG HSL Cheetah is fun too.

On the IS side we have:
The Dual HGauss “fun” plus flamers or medium (ER) lasers to taste in the Annihilators or Cyclops.
ERLL vomit in the Battlemaster.
IS energy vomit on a Warhammer
Spraying MRMs in an IV-4. (You ******** and your MRM 30s and 40s are going to get my favorite mech nerfed)
Spraying SRMs in a Bushwacker or Assassin.
MPLs in Wolfhounds and Urbies.

There. That is all the “fun” to be had right now in this here game. Scores of weapons, hundreds of mechs, thousands of builds and PGI and their unfunning of the game has left us with a couple dozen builds (tops) that represent the epitome of what is potentially “fun”, or rather, what is least unfun.

#38 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:41 AM

I have avoided laser vomit almost fully past few months (CW games that require extreme ranges are exception), Mostly playing Dakka, MRM, SRM, heavy Gauss/PPC and even LRM(LOL), has my leaderboard rankings dropped? Sure but still doing decently IMO and enjoying the game.

View PostCara Carcass, on 27 February 2018 - 04:37 AM, said:

And most stock mechs require you to get DHS, Endo and maybe Ferro. so that adds the cost, sure you can play them without but that kind of skilling is a lot more painful.
If mech comes decent as stock we are talking something like ACH which already costs 7,7M CB

#39 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:03 AM

Last year or so, I focused mainly on Dakka (UAC, RAC, AC). It seems to work much better for me --- consistent 500 to 1000 damage range --- than heavy reliance on lasers.

#40 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:58 AM

Discussion of current FP meta and builds:
https://mwomercs.com...-play-training/
(also includes a few tidbits on skilltree)

As for the skilltree: just pick one mech, play it a few rounds unskilled, think about what it is lacking in and assign some historic experience and skill points from the refund ledger and play around with it some more. Once you know where what nodes are on the skill tree and where you want to take a mech, the time needed for filling out the skilltree shrinks rapidly.

A quick rundown of the skilltree:
  • Most people throw 20 SP into operations for heat dissipation and cool run (unless runing gauss).
  • ECM equipped mechs require the two ECM nodes from sensors. Seismic sensor, radar derp and advanced zoom are also in this tree.
  • Firepower can help with heat gen, range, cooldown, ammo+1, missile/LBX spread, laser beam duration - depending on needs
  • Survival can help with small increases to armour/structure, ams overload, reduced criticals/fall damage.
  • Auxilliary can give more slots for consumables like UAV/Strikes, make consumables better, make narc better. Capture acceleration went here.
  • Jumpjets is only needed on mechs equipped with jump jets and depends on how much verticality your playstyle requires.
  • Mobility depends on the chassis - lights need this more than others, but often grab only speed tweak from the bottom and the minimum required to get there.

Edited by Exilyth, 27 February 2018 - 10:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users