Odd Armor Classes

Upgrades

61 replies to this topic

#1 BreakinStuff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:48 PM

I know this has been discussed elsewhere on the forums somewhere, but I have yet to find it, so I'll ask.

Will PGI be introducing Reactive, Reflective and Ballistic-Reinforced armor any time in the future?

I ask because such things would likely cause the meta to break up and shift a lot, rather than be a stagnant pool of one boat to rule them all or something.

If it's not feasible due to coding or something, that's fine. It's more a curiosity point than a driving need to advocate for it.

#2 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:38 PM

Annihilator with reflective armor, be practically immune to high alpha laser vomit, force anyone else to attempt to out DPS you with ballistics, DELETE all who try.

neato meta.

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:51 PM

you'd have to free 10 slots on the Anni to mount reflective armour. That's a tough call.

#4 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:53 PM

View PostBreakinStuff, on 26 February 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

I know this has been discussed elsewhere on the forums somewhere, but I have yet to find it, so I'll ask.

Will PGI be introducing Reactive, Reflective and Ballistic-Reinforced armor any time in the future?

I ask because such things would likely cause the meta to break up and shift a lot, rather than be a stagnant pool of one boat to rule them all or something.

If it's not feasible due to coding or something, that's fine. It's more a curiosity point than a driving need to advocate for it.

Ballistic-reinforced is waaaaaaaay in the future.

Reactive/reflective, on the other hand....mmm, especially reflective. BEGONE LASERTHOT.

#5 BreakinStuff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:29 AM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 26 February 2018 - 11:38 PM, said:

Annihilator with reflective armor, be practically immune to high alpha laser vomit, force anyone else to attempt to out DPS you with ballistics, DELETE all who try.

neato meta.

I dunno, I usually dump missiles on them. It works. Because the fastest Annihilator is still slower than a King Crab.

#6 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:15 AM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 26 February 2018 - 11:38 PM, said:

neato meta.

That's great, I'm the guy who drools every time I get a clean shot at Little Orphan Anni, because ATMs crack them open like eggs and lasers, wut? Nice big hitboxes to make sure you're scrubbing the torso clean of armor, too.

#7 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:57 AM

View PostBreakinStuff, on 26 February 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

That won't happen unless PGI buys a completely modern game engine and a lot more programmers. The math underlying game play now is falling apart and spastic. Can you imagine adding an entire layer of complexity that would compound the errors ever worse than we are experiencing now?

Great idea ! Not needed in Solaris. NEXT IDEA..... (no one is listening at PGI unless it sells another 1000 mech packs.)

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:24 AM

adding new armor types would screw over omnimechs big time. why would anyone ever use an omnimech again when battlemechs get damage reduction vs energy weapons and omnimechs dont? youd just make clan battlemechs even more superior.

itd be better if this kindve thing was done through the skill tree

add new skill nodes to the survivability tree like -2% energy damage, -2% ballistic damage, etc...

Edited by Khobai, 27 February 2018 - 04:29 AM.

#9 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

View PostKhobai, on 27 February 2018 - 04:24 AM, said:

adding new armor types would screw over omnimechs big time. why would anyone ever use an omnimech again when battlemechs get damage reduction vs energy weapons and omnimechs dont? youd just make clan battlemechs even more superior.

itd be better if this kindve thing was done through the skill tree

add new skill nodes to the survivability tree like -2% energy damage, -2% ballistic damage, etc...

Why? Probably because one Omni can shift it's weapons load as it wants to, though it can't shift it's armor.

Meta goes reflective? That Stormcrow is now packing a big ballistic and ATMs. The fact that there's plenty of regular non-Omnis on the field gives a bit of herd immunity, as you can't depend on running into them when defensive options are that potentially loadout-defeating.

#10 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:07 PM

Why? Probably because one Omni can shift it's weapons load as it wants to, though it can't shift it's armor.

because a clan battlemech with perfect hardpoints (like deathstrike) is already way better than an omnimech as is

omnimechs dont need to be worse

#11 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:10 PM

View PostKhobai, on 27 February 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

because a clan battlemech with perfect hardpoints (like deathstrike) is already way better than an omnimech as is

omnimechs dont need to be worse

It's why I've been pushing for Omni's to get some sort of advantage... Since MWO doesn't support logistics, repair and refit times the major advantage of Omni's over Battlemechs is lost....

#12 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

Ive suggested adding omnihardpoints to omnimechs as a way of making the lesser used omnipods more appealing.

Its not much but its something.

so for example if you have a 2E side torso omnipod that everyone always uses and a 1E side torso omnipod that never gets used, you could give the 1E omnipod an omnihardpoint instead, and let it equip any type of weapon. it would give omnimechs more flexibility with using ballistics and missile weapons and maybe help cut down on laser vomit by encouraging other builds.

Edited by Khobai, 27 February 2018 - 01:18 PM.

#13 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

That's one way, I like a couple of ideas personally....

Making all hard points on Omni mechs type independent, in other words, just a limited number of hard points per location, your only limit, is what can fit in those cirt spaces. This does have the possibility to be horribily abused, just don't make all the hard points high mounts..

or

Allowing Omni's to save 2-3 load outs per mech (with more slots being purchasable via MC) then allow omni's to hot swap between load outs during the final mission countdown, the catch is all required equipment must be in your warehouse.

#14 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

Its sad we dont have in-game mech hangers like MWLL had

omnimechs being able to roll into a mech hanger and change their loadout on the fly would be very a cool advantage

thered have to be some kindve resource cost for doing it... kindve like how in MWLL you had to earn money to buy better mechs. That money could also be used to change loadouts on omnimechs.

#15 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:51 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 27 February 2018 - 01:15 AM, said:

That's great, I'm the guy who drools every time I get a clean shot at Little Orphan Anni, because ATMs crack them open like eggs and lasers, wut? Nice big hitboxes to make sure you're scrubbing the torso clean of armor, too.

If you want to walk up to 300m from an angry Annihilator packing AMS be my guest.

#16 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 27 February 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

If you want to walk up to 300m from an angry Annihilator packing AMS be my guest.

48 ATMs vs. one AMS is a winner for the AMS launcher. Now, if you were a Kit Fox with three, I'd be concerned. Besides, how many actually pack AMS? That's precious tons of ammo for their ballistic boating gone to something generally too situational to matter.

My personal best was getting a frontal armor angle on a twin HGauss Anni and reducing it to no guns in two salvos. From the front and yellow armor, first most of the armor, then both torsos exploded on shot #2.. Not that I wasn't feeling the return fire to my armor, but he was a stick.

#17 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:06 PM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 27 February 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

Flank and gut, that is how I deal with Annihilators, they always have weak rear armour.

#18 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:08 PM

This topic is pointless. Advanced armors were considered experimental tech until the end of Jihad circa 3080.

I would not advocate for premature advancement of timeline unless you are in a hurry for this game to die. The entire business model depends on withholding useful items. If you had it all the game would suffer content exhaustion and rapid player exodus.

#19 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 26 February 2018 - 11:51 PM, said:

you'd have to free 10 slots on the Anni to mount reflective armour. That's a tough call.

^This right here.

Most of my builds are hitting crit slot cap just with ENDO.

There's no way I can fit a hard hitting build with ENDO, a few DHS and FF at the same time.

I have to give up FF, but if I want other armor types then I have to give up ENDO.

#20 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

@Grim: Remember though there were parallel improvements in internal structure as well. Composite and endo-composite can help in certain builds. In the case of composite any increased skeleton fragility is more than offset by the massive armor quirks stacking even further with the new armors.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users