Old Frozen City, New Solaris 2V2 Map?

8 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:31 AM

So Russ stated a while back that the reason why they can't or don't take old maps and republish them, aka old terra, old frozen, old forest ect.. is because the way they make maps and use assets that from a technical side it is like making a new map. Not completely but it has a ton more work involved than just copy/paste. So instead they have chosen to make new maps. Ok.. i get that but what if it is used in a new way?

The size of frozen is another issue with 12v12, but what if it was trimmed a little and turned into a 2v2 Solaris arena map?

would people want that? would it make a good 2v2 map? LIke if you trimmed it right on the other side of the drop ship.. maybe just behind that row of buildings? Basically leaving the one main city, the tunnel would come out on the edge of the map so it would still have tunnel strat that people love.. the lower section area around the opposite corner would still be a fun area too, and then the main city for crazy brawl fun!.

Maybe this could be the way to bring it back in some way? I also wonder about the old forest colony if it could work.. Using both those maps as a base for a new Solaris map.

Edited by JC Daxion, 27 February 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#2 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:38 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 27 February 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

So Russ stated a while back that the reason why they can't or don't take old maps and republish them, aka old terra, old frozen, old forest ect.. is because the way they make maps and use assets that from a technical side it is like making a new map. Not completely but it has a ton more work involved than just copy/paste. So instead they have chosen to make new maps....

I guess I dont understand. I mean those maps WERE in rotation and we played them, so I dont understand why they (the maps) cant be reinserted into rotation. Especially when 8v8 re-appears

#3 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:11 PM

I cant remember the last time I had a fight in the ice tunnel let alone a proper team brawl like we used to get in there Posted Image. The only similar experience now is the tunnel / underground on crimson

#4 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:20 AM

Actually, reusing old maps for Solaris might work..

They are definitely too small for 12vs 12, or even 8vs8, but 2vs2 could work..

Especially maps like original River CIty or original Frozen Ciy (those maps were tiny)

#5 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:29 AM

I do wonder if these devs make up whatever so they don't have to bother..

#6 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

IIRC, the limitation was something about old and new maps using the same "base", or somesuch. Basically it would create a redundancy somewhere that would cause crashes and lock ups.

Now, I don't know what would have to happen to bring the old maps back, but I'd love to see them return for private matches and Solaris.

While New Forest Colony certainly looks better than the old one, it doesn't play any better. And New Frozen City simply better enables the mid to long range meta than the original. New Terra Therma is actually pretty decent, but people almost never vote for it (I thought that it would see a spike in popularity when the Night Gyr came out, since they suffer no environmental heat penalties, but I guess everyone ignored that memo).

#7 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

View PostEscef, on 01 March 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

IIRC, the limitation was something about old and new maps using the same "base", or somesuch. Basically it would create a redundancy somewhere that would cause crashes and lock ups.

Now, I don't know what would have to happen to bring the old maps back, but I'd love to see them return for private matches and Solaris.

It is backend issues with how they make maps. Russ mentioned something about it in one of the town halls. Basically it all boils down to a lot of work and not just simply making a copy. Why? I dunno, i don't build online vid games so no clue why it is this way. I've only worked on mods for SP games with simple Direct object style coding so it is way outside of my pay grade.

My guess is they would have to import all the assets to a new map, and basically sorta remake it, renaming and redoing much of the map. Kinda like when you make a new quest in an RPG you can't just copy the code, you can, but then you need to go change all the flags, add the new scripts, ect. You use a template, but then the real work starts.

All i know is vid games are a lot more complicated than people think. But seeing they could take an area of the map, it might reduce the over all import/change time. I honestly dunno but it could be a really fun 2v2 map for sure.

#8 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:33 PM

Yes, everything exists in a "plane of existence" that has a mathematical value.... And, not just a 2D reference; walls, elevation, depressions, are mathematical constructs that "exist" in real time calculations that are "refreshed" real time....and synchronized real time... Rendering terrain, rendering vehicles, rendering the environmental conditions, rendering weapons, flight characteristics, effect values, damage projections and then, doing that non-stop in a synchronized manner, in high resolution.............world wide...... Oh my. Copy and paste isn't how that works in "some software" engines but, of late, many are starting to "get smart" where you can take a 3D value and "drop it into a location" and the software assimilated the new "object" into the data stream...... Or, so I've been told.......I'm retired a long time now.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,853 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:05 PM

View PostSamial, on 01 March 2018 - 06:29 AM, said:

I do wonder if these devs make up whatever so they don't have to bother..

it sounds bogus to me. this game engine hasnt seen an updated in such a long time so there should be no reason a legacy map wont work now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users