Updates To The Road Map! 32-Bit, Supply Caches And Skill Tree Respec!

112 replies to this topic

#41 teh Reika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationFrontline

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

It was better to give 91 skill points, when buying a new mech. The process of gaining experience is very boring. And on some very difficult to play without skills.

#42 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:53 PM

View PostGrimfeather, on 27 February 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

You weren't wrong on this. It was stated in an earlier road map that we were going to be able to just open them without the keys. Its just a bummer they didnt stick to the original plan.

The comment is at the end of the road map. "We will also be phasing out the Supply Cache Key system altogether; if you have a Cache in your inventory you'll simply be able to open it and get the goods, with no key or additional requirement needed."

https://mwomercs.com...-october-beyond

I think people miss understood what was written. PGI meant any new caches awarded under the new cache system would be opened without keys. They didn't mean existing old system caches people were hoarding.

#43 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:57 PM

View PostPax Bellum, on 27 February 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

WHAT !! no more 32-bit systems !!! Now I have to box this up and get a newer machine !! GRRRR!!

Posted Image

Owned that... it was a partial 16 bit system... in 1981...

#44 LGear

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:41 PM

I'm hoping that the switch to 64 bit means that MWO can finally be optimized to run on 64 bit and thus be far more reliable without the fear of crashing occasionally.

#45 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:43 PM

View Postteh Reika, on 27 February 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

It was better to give 91 skill points, when buying a new mech. The process of gaining experience is very boring. And on some very difficult to play without skills.

actually... that's the point. it's so you LEARN TO PILOT IT.

prob is you young pups who've only known mechs with Quirks think they're all that matters. actually getting used to how your mech handles, where its armor hitoboxes and Weapon Hardpoints are is far far FAR more important than quirks will ever be. it's what makes a person a good pilot.

Essentially... you're really saying "how DARE I actually have to work to be good at something! I should be a pro instantly!"

View PostDarkton, on 27 February 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

Well, I've taken to selling my Caches anyway because I don't often see prizes I want, so the refund on Keys is welcome to me. Also, glad the respec cost is gone, as are the extra decals. RIP 64 bit, but if that means we're able to get some faster mechs like, say, the Dasher, I'm all for that.

You mean 32-bit. it's staying 64 XD

Edited by Arkhangel, 27 February 2018 - 10:48 PM.

#46 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:19 PM

Happy with the XP change, the Supply Cache one is fair.
Personally I would have loved to see a tiny reward for the players that opened them religiously, such as a colour per 100 you opened or something like that.
Pure guestimate, but I think I opened well over 300 of them, never got a mech, got a few decals, Mc etc and the weapons are always welcome, a bargain for 25mc. Actually a pity not more things in the game are priced in that range 1000mc for a colour is steep no matter how you look at it.

Thanks for the update and the death of the lvl 32 Trollbeast

#47 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:56 PM

Got two mechs from the ones i had. Rifleman and a Kodiak. Saw mechs about 10 times though. Sold the Kodiak and ended up getting three Mechs with the cash from the chassis and weapons, given i don't really use Clan stuff.

#48 Mikayshen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 416 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:06 AM

Question -

Are bolt-ons separate from decals, or are we going to be able to use bolt-ons as well as having up top 9 decals per mech?

#49 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

View PostMikayshen, on 28 February 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

Question -

Are bolt-ons separate from decals, or are we going to be able to use bolt-ons as well as having up top 9 decals per mech?

Actually, a very very good question.. It would not be good if bolt-ons and decals used the same slots..

Separate slots please!

#50 tokumboh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 320 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:09 AM

As other have said respecing is a very good thing as for one thing switching between builds is kind of costly so having got the SP flipping them for XP never made sense

32 bit also makes sense also it means less to test for starters which would mean better quality less exceptions so smart move.

The cynic in me says that this is kind of like the slow approach to end of life type changes.

What do I use my XP for I have only had my MCII-B for 80 odd matches and racked up over 100K XP there is little I can do with it all

#51 Kell Aset

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:29 AM

I was hoping that all loot boxes we own now with april/solaris7 patch will be turned into new loot boxes, I'm a bit disappointed. I hope new loot boxes won't need new keys to open them.

Edited by Kell Aset, 28 February 2018 - 01:53 AM.

#52 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:37 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 27 February 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

I'm sad about 32 bit support, many older machines will be hit, and people will be unable to play this game..

My old PC was about 9 years old and it was able to run a 64bit system. So people who are still hanging on to a 32bit system should realy move on...and I don't mean that they should buy a new PC. Most likely their old PC can run a 64bit system. They just need to upgrade their OS.

View PostVellron2005, on 27 February 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

Also, just giving us 50K for a Supply Cache is a cringeworthy move.. If I wanted to sell them off, I would have done so.. you should simply replace them with the new ones, and refund the keys as planned..

An unsold, unopend box has no value at all ! Its just a blue graphic on your screen.
So except you say that you wanted to spend money on keys at a later point, getting the selling value paid out is a total valid option on PGIs side and a good deal for you.
Because if you didn't wanted to spend money on buying keys and you never sold them you would have gotten nothing.
So now you get at least something and you don't even have to do anything for it. Just wait and cash in.

If you have keys still lying around like I have, I get their value in MC back and could spend them at something that is worth spending it on. I still regret buying keys and I am more then happy that I get them returned as MC.

#53 MrKvola

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:02 AM

If you are lacking 64-bit hardware... well, you should be able to find some early 64-bit systems in the garbage bin. There is also the option of getting a used/refurb computer, MWO really runs on just about anything that still functions by now.
My first 64-bit machine is 12 years old...

If you are lacking in the OS department, a Windows 7 key can be had for around 20€. With that you can still upgrade to 10, if you so desire. Both of the OSs should run without issues on most of the rigs that have 64-bit capability. You may just need to bump up the RAM a bit.

There is absolutely no reason to sustain 32-bit at this time.

As for the lootboxes - the original promise was to convert the existing ones and refund keys. I'm a bit sad that they are just keeping half of the promise - refunding the keys. I was really looking forward to have the crates converted. But I guess not having to sell the crates manually also helps somewhat.

As for the re-spec cost - this was asked for and should have been in place since the introduction of the skill tree. On the other hand, the XP grind to master a chassis is still atrocious. On average it takes around 40 matches per 'mech, at least for me to master one. And this is while basically abusing the x2 XP system - if I'd not be doing that I would have to spend even more time levelling a 'mech. I'm pretty sure there are people out there having an even worse experience.

All of this compounded with a badly designed PSR system which does nothing at all for the quality of the matches - it is all in all just a glorified XP bar. Which again was highlighted by the community at the time the PSR system was introduced and nothing was done to amend this.

Fan of a lot of the changes, but there are still changes that are very much needed to improve the game and bring more enjoyment to the players.

#54 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:48 AM

Could we please get a supply cache key sale before the system is changed?
Was never done before and it would be a good opportunity to do so.

#55 FallGuy0815

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:11 AM

View PostCyrilis, on 28 February 2018 - 03:48 AM, said:

Could we please get a supply cache key sale before the system is changed?
Was never done before and it would be a good opportunity to do so.

I do not think that would be possible. If they sold the keys for less than 25MC, you could go crazy and get them refunded at full price (Get more MC than you invested). Same if you sold them for real money (=MC Discount) or C-Bills (Buy MC for CBills, will not happen).
Only way i could imagine was some kind of short term-deal where you could buy keys that expire in say 2-3 days and will not get refunded, but why would anyone at PGI want that kind of hassle after the announcement? Someone would cry anyway.

You could hope for some keys as bonus in an event, but with this announcement, any key you win is basically 25 MC in your bank. With my lucky streak opening caches i would just leave won keys lying around until April to get the MC instead of some common items from caches. Come to think about it: What about a St.Pattys event with some (not a crazy lot) of 25 MC-Prizes? If you have this few caches you absolutely HAVE to open up, you will be all set, otherwise you have plenty of time to buy the missing MC until april.

Personally, i too think this was one of the better options how to handle "old-system" caches. As for the other changes, great news on respeccing as i have horrible skill trees on my first mechs, and for 32-bit: I think PGI has the numbers on how many players are actually connecting using the 32bit-Client, so i highly doubt they will voluntary "cut the player base" but rather have decided that the numbers are slim enough by now to make the switch and save development resources in the future not maintaining two builds.

#56 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:28 AM

View PostENOVA, on 27 February 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

"Removal of current Supply Cache system"
I've heard earlier and passed to my unit-mates that we will be able to open them for free, without keys.
And now I just feel embarrased a bit.
We tried to collect them, we didn't open them for many months. Now it seems you r telling me that was for nothing. Noooo....

Don't be. They said they were going to re-work the systems so that you got all within the cache once opened.

Status of that I do not know.

#57 -Quiet-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:35 AM

how about adding a Privacy option to our friends list - to have option for users not to be seen as:
in Lobby or group icon.
lots of players and groups on -- Faction Play -- (on all sides) try to avoid the other real groups and find easy match vs easy groups or teams with random\new players as enemy , because of that 75% of the Factionplay drops are not Balanced.(Considering the activity and the amount of players that we have daily)

Edited by Bios303, 28 February 2018 - 04:46 AM.

#58 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:11 AM

View PostFallGuy0815, on 28 February 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

I think PGI has the numbers on how many players are actually connecting using the 32bit-Client, so i highly doubt they will voluntary "cut the player base" but rather have decided that the numbers are slim enough by now to make the switch and save development resources in the future not maintaining two builds.
To give it some context, 96,6% of Steam's users are already on 64-bit operating systems.

#59 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:23 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 27 February 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

Owned that... it was a partial 16 bit system... in 1981...

Tunnel of doom was one of my favorite game a while ago on this TI99 system, lol

Edited by Damnedtroll, 28 February 2018 - 06:23 AM.

#60 Zeoraimer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:59 AM

Good changes.

Though I am saddened by the fact that it will have taken almost 12 months to remove respec costs as they were complained about even before the skill web was introduced.

Next on the list, can we have Skill Web Templates?

It would be great to spend more time playing then respec'ing. I don't bother launching mechs I know needs a respec, and just stick to mechs I know are setup fine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users