New Season = Match Maker Goes [Redacted]

10 replies to this topic

#1 Electron Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

Anyone else notice that whenever a new season starts the match maker literally just looses what little collective processing power it has?

Discuss....

Edited by draiocht, 02 March 2018 - 12:26 PM.
inappropriate language in topic title

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,084 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

Esp late at night when you don't notice most the good na players went to bed three hours ago and the sun is crawling out of its bed. I had a team,such an insult to that word's definition, on hpd skirmish just get wasted the first two and a half minutes as the enemy just went around the right side of the map. I look at the score of 0-11 and said **** it. [Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 02 March 2018 - 12:41 PM.
griefing

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,902 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

OP I see that you are not a prolific forum warrior. A bit of advice for dwelling in this here safe space, speaking from experience: your use of even just the hyphenated suffix in your thread title will likely be considered a form of emotionally inflammatory, discriminatory, and/or non-constructive conduct in violation of the COC and likely result in a temporary forum ban. I recommend you change the title quickly if this sort of thing concerns you.

Edited by Bud Crue, 02 March 2018 - 11:06 AM.

#4 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:32 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 02 March 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

Esp late at night when you don't notice most the good na players went to bed three hours ago and the sun is crawling out of its bed.

It's called "off peak hours". The matchmaker can't force people to play, it has to work with whoever hit the Play Now button.

I understand this is a difficult concept for some people.

#5 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:14 PM

No, I haven't?

Of the few games I've even played, MM seems to be acting normal? I'm use to 0-12's on just two maps, all day long......

There isn't an event going on is there? Events really mess up game play........

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,881 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

matchmaker only works during peak hours. which unfortunately is not when i play.

of course since psr is completely meaningless the yardstick for matchmaking is inherently flawed, so it never worked at all. its pretty much using the landslide games to keep everyones w/l as close to 1 as possible. even if you make psr represent skill properly you still dont have the population for good match making most of the time. its a double edged sword of fail.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 March 2018 - 12:44 PM.

#7 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

Being 15 hours out yes i see it a lot.. why Oceanic doesn't work without NA being selected is beyond me...

#8 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:40 PM

Too much people "blame" MM or other players. It's nearly in all online games.

I fail to see any reason MM works any different at the start of month, to end of month. I fail to see any explonation to why during low times some players would get more bad team mates and better enemies.

#9 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 02 March 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

matchmaker only works during peak hours. which unfortunately is not when i play.

of course since psr is completely meaningless the yardstick for matchmaking is inherently flawed, so it never worked at all. its pretty much using the landslide games to keep everyones w/l as close to 1 as possible. even if you make psr represent skill properly you still dont have the population for good match making most of the time. its a double edged sword of fail.

Assuming I am correct that the PSR/Tier system was merely designed to separate new and experienced players, then it is working.

#10 Cnaiur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 02 March 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

Too much people "blame" MM or other players. It's nearly in all online games.

I fail to see any reason MM works any different at the start of month, to end of month. I fail to see any explonation to why during low times some players would get more bad team mates and better enemies.

It's not that some players get all the bad teammates and better enemies during low times, it's that the MM opens up more, which means if you're a high tier player, you may only get a few other high tier players on your team. But T1 players vary wildly in skill, so if you're not a very good T1 player, or you're playing a mech that can't carry, you can get stomped over and over if the other teams high tier players are good and/or playing mechs that can carry.

At this point the only thing the MM does reasonably well is separate the new players and absolute dregs from everyone else. It's a very different game down there in T4/5.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,881 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

View PostMystere, on 02 March 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

Assuming I am correct that the PSR/Tier system was merely designed to separate new and experienced players, then it is working.

i guess thats good for new players, if there are in fact new players coming into the game in any abundance, which i highly doubt. doesnt do a lick of good for the grognards with a history of supporting the game though.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 March 2018 - 05:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users