Tbr-War With Jj?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Truenobishi

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

Sorry newbie here. I have read a lot, but do not get the point.

When buying the hero version "Warrant" of Timberwolf TBR-WAR because of the +30% C-Bill boost, is it later possible to add JJ (for the cost of firepower, heat sinks or so...) - or is that not an option because of specific chassis parameters?

https://mwomercs.com/clan-heroes

Edited by Truenobishi, 02 March 2018 - 09:52 AM.

#2 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:24 AM

Yes just add TBR-S Side torsos.
The TBR-WAR cbill bonus is locked to the center torso piece.
You can change anything else without loosing the bonus.

Edited by Antares102, 02 March 2018 - 09:25 AM.

#3 Truenobishi

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

Thank you @Ace Of Spades, great info!

Is there a reason why one gets the same chassis here for less money than in ingame store?
https://mwomercs.com/clan-heroes

$ 20 != MC 7.035 (MC 6.500 = $ 29,95)

And do you know an explanation, why there is no Timberwolf bundle available (ingame) - or do I oversee one?

Is there somewhere to get a Timberwolf hero or Ebon Jaguar hero with some extras like premium time, C-Bills or so?

Of course I can (and probably will) just buy the $ 20 hero - but it's always better to ask before ;) With all the other packs & bundles, the single TBR hero seems to be to expensive today.

#4 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

Before you buy the Warrant, I strongly suggest you purchase a Cbill TBR and make absolutely certain it's the mech you really want to have. At the moment the TBR has broad torso hitboxes, no bonus armor, negative quirks on some of the omnipods for agility, and speaking of agility - it has the same base profile as the 85 ton Warhawk. It is SLUGGISH.

I expect the 70 ton Sun Spider to do much better over the TBR, and the Ebon Jaguar already out performs it as it kept the same weapons load but also kept its original agility. To be completely, bald-faced honest, the Inner Sphere Warhammer & Marauder heroes can stomp the Warrant into the dirt. So just go into the purchase with your eyes open.

#5 Truenobishi

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

Mmmmhhhh, I used the trial TBR for some games now and although I am really not good, I like it somehow. The feel, how long I do survive, the look...

I read 3-4 threads and watched some videos comparing the Ebon Jaguar vs Timberwolf. And although there a lots of voices pro EJ, in total the TBR seems to have more votes. But, frankly said, most threads were 2015/2016 - not knowing of the new mechs.

I will buy the Mad Cat Mk II packe too - but this is an assault, no hurry for that.
The Sun Spider was not on my list - at least there are collector packs with premium time...

#6 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:07 AM

The Timber is relatively fast, but relatively sluggish. If it still had its original responsiveness the hitboxes would be less of an issue. The good part is that while you will lose a side torso relatively fast, that means you AREN'T getting CT-drilled. So it can survive for a while. Also, simply because of the speed it can re-position and the kind of payload it carries it is still a priority target.

Most of the time I see them in QP-solo they're either kitted out as support mechs (ATMs or LRMs as primary weapons), or as hard hitting brawler/striker units (SRMs and Small Lasers). You're sure to see a few other odd-ball builds out there from time to time, of course.

It's still a good mech, but it's no loner the go-to for the comp players.

#7 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

Im going to be honest with you about the timber, at least from the perspective of a T1 player that sorta understands how this game works (and despite my generally negative opinion of current timby, i still play it here and there).

It used to be OP, for a long time, since it was agile, mobile, had JJ capabilities, and it could be a true jack of all trades with anything from dakka to lasers being possible and effective. Nowadays, especially post engine desync, the mech handles like a bloody assault, and that is a VERY bad thing considering its hitboxes were never stellar, just very effective when the thing would do a 90 degree turn in under 1 second. The hitboxes are insanely easy to isolate on a target that cant twist like it used to, and to add to the issues, most of the decent omnipods come with negative quirks that are in this day and age completely unwarranted when its already a mediocre/bad mech compared to alternatives like the ebon (can run everything the timby can except JJs), or even the hellbringer (cant really run missiles or dakka on that but anything lasers owns).

Now if PGI ever wises up (doubtful), and actually removes the stupid and useless neg-quirks, i see the mech being at least workable, but as it stands you cannot get JJs or max energy hardpoints without some steep penalties to the already bad agility, and realistically the only setup that ive found workable that didnt force you to use the bad omnipods was 6 energy spread all over the mech and 1 ballistic. You also get 2 missile with that config, but missiles are in a pretty bad state right now (especially LRMs which are beyond worthless against anyone who understands the concept of not walking into a open field with 0 cover), so its pretty much 6 energy and 1 cannon, usually gauss, but ist also a ST mount so dont expect it to stay intact if the armor goes or is a feesh gets anywhere near you.

All in all, if you really like the timby chassis (as in you own a normal model and enjoy it), then by all means get the warrant, but if you want to play well and or at higher tiers, it really is better to get one of the free ebons instead. Also worth noting, is that the warrant lacks a useful CT feature such as a JJ or energy hardpoint. That makes it actually less optimal (not necessartily worse, but many builds cant even be done on teh warrant due to CT hardpoint lack) then the other models, the S, A, C, D, ect.

#8 wizwoz

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLincoln

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

I bought the warrant because I love Timbers but rather than being a jack of all trades it’s now a master of none. I’d honestly sit on your money for now it’s expensive and doesn’t work particularly well.

#9 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:07 PM

If you're still considering buying a hero and haven't bought the Warrant yet, get the Virago or Esprit De Corps instead. As already mentioned, the Timberwolf is okay but other Clan heavies are better.

#10 Bonfor

• PipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:57 PM

View PostTruenobishi, on 02 March 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

Mmmmhhhh, I used the trial TBR for some games now and although I am really not good, I like it somehow. The feel, how long I do survive, the look...

I read 3-4 threads and watched some videos comparing the Ebon Jaguar vs Timberwolf. And although there a lots of voices pro EJ, in total the TBR seems to have more votes. But, frankly said, most threads were 2015/2016 - not knowing of the new mechs.

The problem on those older threads is that they were written before the big engine/mobility desync that occurred mid-2017, so mechs that ran larger engines, like most Clan heavies and assaults had thanks to Clan XL engines, were able to provide more mobility up until they changed it to where mobility was no longer determined by engine size, but by the chassis itself. Hence, a number of Clan heavies, like the TBR, and assaults became a lot less agile than before once they severed that relationship.

#11 Truenobishi

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

Ok, thank you all for your great help. I really didn't expect that all of you rate the Timber that depricated. So, although I only wanted to ask for JJs, you guys really helped me out and turned me in another direction.

It's not the $ 20 (of course that too, but not that much) which would hurt, it's the time I would invest in a not so good mech, with all the tears and short games (which I will have in any case, since I am bad and so new to MWO and modern shooters generally, last one was DOOM2 ;)), so learning, enjoying and staying with the game would be much harder.

So, I hear you - because of the answers I didn't buy the WARRANT yet and I probly won't.

The EBON JAGUAR as the ESPRIT DE CORPS would have been my second choice (second because of the old threads comparing EJ vs TBR): https://mwomercs.com/clan-heroes-two

Would you think, that one would be more suitable? I would prefer the hero because of the C-Bill bonus, so I can spend my currently earned 20 Mio CBs to skills and maybe different equipment/weapons for the EJ hero and another version of the EJ.

Would you suggest the EJ hero for second line fights, hill ping-pong for a total newbie in MWO? I won't make it to a higher tier soon, but I want to enjoy ~2-6 games per evening, enjoy to improve and don't be a full dummy for the team beeing always one of the first 1-4 mechs to be shot dead (I survived some games though already ;)).

Although it's the least important thing, I prefer this kind of look (TBR, EJ, Mad Cat, Raven) over humanoid chassis.

The only mech I own by now is a LOCUST LCT-1V. I use it to learn to move fast, I will do at least one 1-2 games per day with that, but these may be so fast over when doing an error stop for a second - so I want a more powerful and little more forgiving mech for the second line to learn other things.

I ordered the SOLARIS7 set too, maybe to quick, but I thought that with only very few mechs (LOCUST, the TBR or EJ and maybe one more like the Mad Cat MkII or a modern medium) the money could not be totally wasted.

So, is the EJ hero a good thing to learn for me? Just to have NOW a chassis to play with and earn CBs and experience.

Thanks again!

#12 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

View PostTruenobishi, on 02 March 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

Ok, thank you all for your great help. I really didn't expect that all of you rate the Timber that depricated. So, although I only wanted to ask for JJs, you guys really helped me out and turned me in another direction.

It's not the $ 20 (of course that too, but not that much) which would hurt, it's the time I would invest in a not so good mech, with all the tears and short games (which I will have in any case, since I am bad and so new to MWO and modern shooters generally, last one was DOOM2 Posted Image), so learning, enjoying and staying with the game would be much harder.

So, I hear you - because of the answers I didn't buy the WARRANT yet and I probly won't.

The EBON JAGUAR as the ESPRIT DE CORPS would have been my second choice (second because of the old threads comparing EJ vs TBR): https://mwomercs.com/clan-heroes-two

Would you think, that one would be more suitable? I would prefer the hero because of the C-Bill bonus, so I can spend my currently earned 20 Mio CBs to skills and maybe different equipment/weapons for the EJ hero and another version of the EJ.

Would you suggest the EJ hero for second line fights, hill ping-pong for a total newbie in MWO? I won't make it to a higher tier soon, but I want to enjoy ~2-6 games per evening, enjoy to improve and don't be a full dummy for the team beeing always one of the first 1-4 mechs to be shot dead (I survived some games though already Posted Image).

Although it's the least important thing, I prefer this kind of look (TBR, EJ, Mad Cat, Raven) over humanoid chassis.

The only mech I own by now is a LOCUST LCT-1V. I use it to learn to move fast, I will do at least one 1-2 games per day with that, but these may be so fast over when doing an error stop for a second - so I want a more powerful and little more forgiving mech for the second line to learn other things.

I ordered the SOLARIS7 set too, maybe to quick, but I thought that with only very few mechs (LOCUST, the TBR or EJ and maybe one more like the Mad Cat MkII or a modern medium) the money could not be totally wasted.

So, is the EJ hero a good thing to learn for me? Just to have NOW a chassis to play with and earn CBs and experience.

Thanks again!

The cool thing about the the EB-EC ( have both the EC and the WAR, but have always loved my ebjs) is it allows you to now have a ballistic point in each side torso when switching pods, which you couldn't do before. This allows for builds such as two high mounted UACs, or gauss or even quad UAC2 builds. Even using it's stock pods to benefit from set of 8 quirks (15% ballistic cooldown, 10% missile cooldown) you can make some versatile builds with it's 1B, 3 E, 2 M.
The Warrant on the other hand can also have some decent loadouts using stock pods, but what it lends for pod switching with it's LA ballistic is not as valuable as what the ebj does imo.

On the other hand, the Warrant's paint scheme is cooler.

#13 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

THe ebj hero is a particularly useful variant to have as it brings to the table potential builds you wouldn't be able to run typically on an ebj. I myself am waiting for a sales to get 1 and mess with. But due to double high mount potential of the ebj hero, I'd also recommend a 2nd ebj for laser vomits so you don't have to keep switching pods and skills around

Oooh jackal beat me to a response by seconds haha

Edited by Bohxim, 02 March 2018 - 02:46 PM.

#14 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

The Timberwolf used to be the best 'mech in the game. It's been nerfed so much though that it is no longer really that great compared to other clan heavies. I saw someone else suggest it earlier in this thread but I am going to suggest it as well; buy a CBill version of the 'mech first and see if it's something you even want to play before you put down real money on a hero. If you like your CBill variant then you can buy yourself a Warrant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users