Mm - Match Maker Is A Joke.

40 replies to this topic

#21 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

This should be a permenant thread because we complain about MM everyday. It's not a joke: it's not even working at all to anyone's knowledge because the matches, especially depending on when you play, have no team composition logic at all.... tier 5's wander around combined with Tier 1 and 2's that should be tier 4's and several pilots in the middle tiers confused as to why they are playing a tier 1 comp player and you have a tier x potato.....and then, on the other side of the map, your team has comp players mixed with potatoes and everybody dies and you wrestle a loss from the jaws of victory.... ??????

All of the tiers get really mized up and sync dropping adds to that confusion: especially when a team misses each other and are on opposite sides now..... Stomps or huge victories ! Little else and that's why so many aren't playing anymore.

#22 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

Matchmaking being so inconsistent is a huge turnoff: one match you just walk over the enemy without breaking a sweat even though your team has a disconnect and an afk, the next you just get rolled without a clue as to what went wrong. Just got tier 2 and I'm still seeing people neither sticking together nor focussing fire.

#23 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

View PostGrus, on 03 March 2018 - 02:16 PM, said:

Posted Image

That is an affirmative. When I last played Warhammer 40K my army was a mix of Slaanesh& Tzeentch.
I prefer MWO despite its flaws.

Edited by Spare Parts Bin, 03 March 2018 - 04:21 PM.

#24 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 03 March 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

@Rampage: So you are saying that people are so casual that they are not effected by other human motivators? What about pride? What about competition and the love of praise? These feel good and should cause people to want to be better.

If you outscore the rest your team by a wide margin it gives you authority and power to shout down any criticism made of you. That is a petty reason, but a powerful one.

This is MechWarrior not Candy Crush. Destroying mechs is an incredible high. I can't conceive why you would want to engage combat in a lackluster fashion.

Pride, competition, or love of praise might mean nothing to someone who plays MWO while drinking beer ... or champagne.

Edited by Mystere, 03 March 2018 - 04:46 PM.

#25 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

Stomps are caused by idiots and mistakes.. Idiots and mistakes come in all tiers..

That said Match maker is still garbage and the tier system is an abomination luckily i only have to deal with it till april.

View PostSpheroid, on 03 March 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

@Rampage: So you are saying that people are so casual that they are not effected by other human motivators? What about pride? What about competition and the love of praise? These feel good and should cause people to want to be better.

If you outscore the rest your team by a wide margin it gives you authority and power to shout down any criticism made of you. That is a petty reason, but a powerful one.

This is MechWarrior not Candy Crush. Destroying mechs is an incredible high. I can't conceive why you would want to engage combat in a lackluster fashion.

You are a very messed up person, i can tell i'm one as well.. screw pride its dumb.. and no destroying virtual robots in a video game is not an incredible high.. its a game not real go outside occasionally.. You'll realise all your bigotry is pointless.

Edited by Samial, 03 March 2018 - 04:59 PM.

#26 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

Stomps and Mistakes do come in all Tiers. I try to make fewer mistakes each game. However it is still possible to come around a corner and get rekt.

#27 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:51 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 03 March 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

Stomps and Mistakes do come in all Tiers. I try to make fewer mistakes each game. However it is still possible to come around a corner and get rekt.

Considering there are 24 players a mistake will happen, just hope its on the enemy team first.

#28 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:02 PM

View PostSamial, on 03 March 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

Considering there are 24 players a mistake will happen, just hope its on the enemy team first.

IMX, games with close kill counts at the end are the result of both sides making a lot of mistakes.

#29 8lindspott

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:43 PM

Matchmaker is broken. This is a team game

I am new to the game and trying to do my best to learn, I will make mistakes and learn. I do my best to get advice with "Learner" Mechs and builds, watching youtube for tactics and see the roles different mechs have.

As a new player I'm watching the most experienced and decorated on one team devastate the newbie or terrible players. In a perfect world there would be an even mix of both in different teams to create a even playing field. But all I experience is loss after loss because of no leadership or direction. I see terrible builds fall apart in the breeze, mechs chasing their tails and getting team kills (friendly fire).

How can such a great game get matchmaking so wrong? Also that Tier system doesn't work with low player numbers, I don't have a solution but I do see and experience long losing streaks because a team of newbies will never beat experience.

#30 Ralatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:55 PM

The only way to fix this (which a number of us have been asking for since 2012) is performance based tier system. That way the peeps are matched up based on what they can/will do. The ones that can/will would tier up an will be matched with like skilled teammates and those that are unable or won't will be matched together.

#31 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:26 AM

I hear that if you don't like the people that MM groups you with there might be another mode in the game that allows you bypass the team mechanism.

#32 Ralatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:43 AM

...and that's a nice cop-out for a broken system...
IMO

Edited by Ralatar, 23 April 2018 - 01:45 AM.

#33 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:53 AM

I don't have a problem with the people that MM groups up in QP.

Getting grouped with pugs that don't do what you think they should do makes the game more interesting, and offers up ways to develop new strategies to get them more involved in matches.

#34 calmdawn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:26 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 03 March 2018 - 01:28 PM, said:

The far more worrisome question is why people don't improve. Not in a relative fashion compared to the overall skill base, but in an absolute sense of agreed upon judgement criteria.

The same four maps are repeated ad nauseam through voting. The same obvious mistakes are seen everytime.

There are only two obvious conclusions. People are very low functioning mentally or this game has very high turn over. Those are both bad.

Stomps are indeed normal, but they need not be caused by skill deficiency. Disconnections and equipment disparity contribute greatly in any outcome. Those can't be helped. Moronic positioning certainly can.

Why do so many often state "MWO has high skill cap"? Does it really? Back in the day most games were packaged in boxes the size of a large binder and had thick printed manuals. I remember when it seemed like every third or forth game was a legitimate sim. That is in no way the case now. Games are getting more casual not less.

What is so hard to understand about a simple flank? Your fixed hitpoint pool moves into a position where you can out exchange their fixed hitpoint pool. There are some here who would have you believe that tactics used in the age of sail are equivalent to complex equations of theoretical physics!

I couldnt have improved in aiming different mech part and some other stuff before solaris appeared: I don´t have mates to go personal dueling rooms, weanwhile quick play and faction play match are so chaotic that you cant get proper reasons of winning or loosing.

Also about tactics such as flanking - you need a good recognition to make a right choice about flanking, you need a group with good coodrination.
Whom are you going to flank and what forces can we send to flank? Does it show my armaments of my mates: maybe they are close combat, maybe they are laser vomits, maybe they have bad weapon harpoints?

Also, in quick or faction play: we have 4 assaults in our lance, enemy distance engagement is for example 400m, but the question is, what divisions are we in the terms of Solaris?

Before Solaris 7 I couldnt even think that some assaults are so much worse than for example 65 tonners.

Also, now I played Solaris a bit (100 -200 games) and modeled some casual fight sitiuations: how good is the guy I am going to flank, what is his Elo or some sort of other rating?

Yesterday I joined several QP matches and killed several lights in legs!!! I have never done it before! In the other game I killed 2 mechs and made a head shot to a Battlemaster!! from a first shot. There is no place I could have gained these skills alone besides Solaris.

Ofc, EVIL, KCOM and other do knows these tricks for since very long ago, but they are a unit: they communicate, they train and other stuff.

In other words, its not so simple to become a good player if there is no prerequisites or preconditions.

#35 calmdawn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:33 AM

View PostDerHuhnTeufel, on 03 March 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

I'd love it if it stopped matching me with people who can't break 50 damage in assault mechs.

We have suddenly found in Solaris, that assault mechs might differ so much that are split into divisions.
Right now we can get a team of 12 (division 3 for example) vs 12 (divison 7, btw with lower weight).

#36 Ralatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:22 AM

=) don't remember seeing any assaults in div 7, would love to play one.

#37 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:46 AM

If you don't like write Russ on Twitter. So much the better, there PGI listens, not the forums.

#38 Ralatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:19 AM

....sure if I wanted a twitter account, I shouldn't have to have an account outside of MWO to provide feedback or get responses, that's pure BS...just wow...

Edited by Ralatar, 23 April 2018 - 06:25 AM.

#39 calmdawn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:06 AM

View PostRalatar, on 23 April 2018 - 05:22 AM, said:

=) don't remember seeing any assaults in div 7, would love to play one.

I´m bad at expressing my idea, here is other try:
- Left team - assault division 4 BNC-SR, 95 tonnes;
- Right team - light mech division 2 !pirania! 20 tonnes.

This is an example that shows that tonnage is not enough to make an assessments of mech quality. Ofc Piranha is not a match(or maybe it is not a joke of devs?), but warhammer from the same division is. Even more, warhammer is much better.

So here is the core of my text: weight and class alone is not a very accurate indicator. In terms of Solaris 7, weight doesn't not correlate mech quality.

#40 Ralatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:08 AM

Got ya. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users