• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:04 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 08 March 2018 - 04:19 AM, said:

I actually agree with this.

I get that lights are hard to pilot, but they shouldn't be face-tanking assaults and heavies as they hug them literally in the front and get away with it.

A piranha or mist-lynx literally eating away my front-armor just i couldn't hit it because i couldn't look down enough from an Atlas or anni shouldn't happen. If it were from the rear understandable, but on the front where I could bear my weapons, and these little buggers are just eating me away like nothing, that's just wrong.

Annihilator specifically does in fact have enough arm hardpoints to kill a facehugging 20 tonner quickly enough that humping doesn't work well. Now it's often not worth it to put those weapons there, but that is more because leg humping isn't actually that prevalent, the point beaing that you can build so it's not weak to lights, and if you don't that's more of a testament to light defence not being worth the investment because in reality lights aren't strong enough to warrant it, just like AMS usually aren't worth it because LRMs are so weak.

It simply pays of way more over time to just ignore the existence of lights and LRMs and just build focused damage dealers, and then just eat up the odd match where you get out of position and die to those things. But you can't then, after making this choice, use those odd matches to complain about the things that killed you being OP.

Edited by Sjorpha, 08 March 2018 - 06:08 AM.

#22 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:41 AM

There was a one of the clan Maddog variants that had an awesome pitch rate, up and down.
It sure came in handy.

The HUD and Pilot position cover up so much too.

What would be really, really, nice would be a wireframe display of mechs when they're obscured by cockpit too.

#23 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

Ive kinda always loved the Dakka arm on the Yen lo and Centurions in general. Being able to shoot up or down so well with arm weapons is one of the few things some mechs have left.

I think I would be a bit sad if every mech could do similar things with torso mounted weapons. That being said I know the Spider 5V would love and desperately needs more torso pitch angle, along with other mechs too im sure.

#24 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 08 March 2018 - 06:04 AM, said:

Annihilator specifically does in fact have enough arm hardpoints to kill a facehugging 20 tonner quickly enough that humping doesn't work well. Now it's often not worth it to put those weapons there, but that is more because leg humping isn't actually that prevalent, the point beaing that you can build so it's not weak to lights, and if you don't that's more of a testament to light defence not being worth the investment because in reality lights aren't strong enough to warrant it, just like AMS usually aren't worth it because LRMs are so weak.

It simply pays of way more over time to just ignore the existence of lights and LRMs and just build focused damage dealers, and then just eat up the odd match where you get out of position and die to those things. But you can't then, after making this choice, use those odd matches to complain about the things that killed you being OP.

That's not even my concern. I'm fine with lights being able to leg-hump, but I'm not fine of them not being vaporized by just standing there smack-dab in front of you so close that you can't look down with your torso weapon, or with your vision completely obscured that you can't aim properly. And what is worse is that they have enough fire power to chew through your armor in the front -- not the rear, not the legs, yes the torso CT armor.

#25 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

You have to be really careful with a change like this.

Torso mounted weapons have such a great advantage already. They are shielded by the arms and are mostly higher then the arm mounts. If you can mount all your weapons in the torso then you can strip the arms to gain weight. By contrast, arms only have the advantage of additional movement. If you give the torso additional movement you are taking away the only advantage the arms mounts have.

If a Mech has zero arm hard points then a case can be made for increased torso agility but this should be the exception not the rule.

As far as lights at your feet, unlock those arms and use them. Even if you don't have arm hard points the arms can be used to gain lock for Streak. It only takes a single Streak to cause a light to back off.

Arm mounts on 100t Mechs really help. If have 2xHLL, 6xERML on my KDK-1. So much easier to track targets when your not relying purely on torso speed. Lights can't hug it. UAV are free kills but most importantly you don't have to stare right at the enemy so shielding is much, much more effective.

#26 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

The OP's idea is sound. The actual problem is MATH, this concept PGI is NOT good at.
2% of some really tiny under any math related thing. It adds up to 10% when you collect all 5 nodes, but that's under 2 actual points for a Firestarter. Most mechs will get approximately 2 points, but 2 points is like experiencing a day with a slightly better stiff neck. It's uneventful.

If the value per node given was close to a flat value of 2 or something like that, then it would actually be worth investing in.

This in part is why people don't even consider that node, just like intentionally investing in the crit hit prevention nodes (it's called reinforced casing -1% evasion/avoidance of a crit is still 99% chance to take that crit damage - math says you're a fool to invest).

Edited by Deathlike, 08 March 2018 - 04:45 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users