Heavy Ppc? Love It Or Hate It?

36 replies to this topic

#21 Hanky Spam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:14 AM

Had very good matches in a squishy AWS-8Q with 2xHPPC and MPLs, also did a lot more headshots in the last months in HPPC mechs as in any dual gauss mech.

The minimum range sucks. Yes, but if one is bad with HPPCs then it is because you haven't adapted your playstyle to them, or you configured your mechs in a really ****** way which leads to poor match performance and by that one dislikes them...

#22 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:50 AM

HPPC Shadowhawk is a hoot, too.

2HPPC mounted right next to the cockpit - best suited when dropping with teammates, though.

#23 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

They're still really good on the Grasshopper and Battlemaster. Basically, if you suck with regular PPCs you're gonna suck just as bad with HPPCs.

#24 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:31 PM

I've come around on the HPPC, it's great on the Grasshopper. Thing jump snipes like a mofo.

#25 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:50 PM

I found them situational... some game they hit and do damage, some game they don't and don't know wtf happening. Invisible wall, small branch etc and it's a pain.

Doing a lot better with snub ppc because of their brawling nature, where less obstacles are present because of the shorter range of use.

#26 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:17 PM

If you've got 3 E hardpoints - 1x Heavy PPC or 3x Light PPC?

I think that is what it boils down to:
Either you spend 10t, 4 slots and one hardpoint or 9t, 6 slots and 3 hardpoints.
Both do 15 dmg, have 90m min range and have more range than you'll need on most maps.

#27 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:31 AM

Grasshopper 5h and QuickDraw 5k

#28 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:35 AM

View PostQuandoo, on 16 March 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

All PPCs are trash due to the house sized projectile which ends up in invisible walls :/
If you can do 500dmg with PPCs you can do 1000 with AC/lasers.

PPCs is all about hitting hard before you overheat - which is impossible in 60% of all situations.
Only viable use is in medium sized mechs with jumpjets. Assaults which are supposed to carry them lack the mobility to make full use. Peaking simply will not work and is a bad idea for slow mechs anyway.

My Warhawk Prime now looks very suspiciously in your direction and shakes its head sadly, and I´m not even talking about all my other PPC-carriers, of which some seemingly are foaming at the mouth right now :)

#29 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:13 AM

I'm starting to get the hang of HPPCs but one thing I notice is that whenever I fire one with max heatgen nodes it causes the heat bar to rise by 20% which is more than what is specified in the mechlab. Anyone have an answer to this?

#30 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:59 AM

Minor thread necro, but my post in the 'Mech forum hasn't had many replies.

I feel like they are heavily situational, I have two on my Grasshopper 5H and it's fun to play, but also has a much higher skill window. I could just strap lasers on instead and puke my way to victory. H-PPCs really need quirks, and you are invested into every possible heat reduction skill node as well. I think they could do with a slight improvement to be honest, maybe if lasers get nerfed again and everyone forgets that ballistics exist they will gain favour among the player base. I sort of hope not though as being the only poptart in a match is sort of prestigious.

#31 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:29 AM

I built a Ceasar -3S using the Cataphract chassis for FP, and it works great as a mid-range striker.

Gauss plus HPPC deals a lot of pinpoint damage, even if the cooldowns suck.

#32 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

View PostSamial, on 15 March 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

Heavy PPC is kinda worthless imo, way too heavy, can't hit under 90 meters, 15 damage and a huge cool down. I'd rather go three er mediums for the same damage, 3 tons weight, better range, better heat mitigation and can hit point blank.

Even a snub is better as its got less cool down and can hit under 90 meters for almost the same range.

what it needs to counter all its problems" and really all PPC needs to counter there problems" is 1 thing and one of 2 things...first they all need splash damage added in" to varying degrees" like light ppc getting 3' 1.5 to adjacent components" and rest getting 4" 2.0 to adjacent components" to bring them up to effectiveness for heat as clan, and to balance it out, buff clan slash from 5" 2.5 in two parts" to 6' 3.0 in two parts" and that would make every ppc 10 times better. another thing would be to remove 90 meter min range from heavy and light ppcs" heavies cause they were IS equivalent to clan and could go everything clan could do" just weighed more and had less range" and lights cause they would not have enough kick to justify back lash damage when fired within there min range" in theory" .

#33 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

Awesome 8Q with 4 HPPC's murders clan mechs, and the laser roughneck, with 2 hppc's, its just like the hunchie super high mounted weapons. And like ash said, the grasshopper is good too.

#34 GamerPro4000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSian

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:03 AM

I started using the weapon system today because I want a mech dedicated to a heavy ppc build. I picked the rifleman 5D running x2HPPC, x6ersmall,x6 double heat sinks, and LF250 engine. I'm having trouble doing well with this configuration. The 5 second cool down on HPPC isn't helping with DPS either. WEAPON CONVERGENCE SUCKS because the hppcs are arm mounted! it's almost impossible hitting a fast light. Any tips on improving on weapon convergence? Should I only fire 1 ppc at a time ahead where the enemy light is moving?

Currently the optimum range for ersmsll is 250m and hppc is 650m

Edited by GamerPro4000, 31 May 2019 - 01:37 AM.

#35 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:09 PM

It's okay as far as IS PPCs go -- but then the IS PPC is just held back by a lot of things, primarily heat.

I mean even the SNPPC is too hot for it's range band, LPPC is too anemic, PPC is too meh, ERPPC is just too hot period. The only saving grace the HPPC has is that it deals the most damage, and that is enough why it's still relevant.

#36 FLE 20

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:13 PM

PPC is old tech get yourself some LRMs

#37 G3ball05

Rookie

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:38 AM

I like the heavy PPCs. I wish that the heat output could be a lower on them. But hey, you cant hate a ppc if your using it the right way

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users