Been Gone For About Two Years And... (Quirks Question)

5 replies to this topic

#1 KishPrime

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

Seems I missed a lot of change. One thing I can't seem to figure out on the new skill tree is - how did it change the implementation of quirks, and is there an easy way to see those after you put in skill tree points? It seems like at least some of them are in but I'm getting lost once I put all my skill tree points in trying to figure out what they are.

Also, if anyone wants to sum up if any of the new weapons are especially worth picking up, would love the tips!

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:52 PM

Offensive quirks in general got nerf. PGI overdid it when they pre-emtively nerfed quirk values in anticipation of new skill tree values. Basically high offensive quirked IS mechs got shafted, while meta Clan mechs got buffed.

#3 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:58 PM

On the other hand, some "quirks" are basically part of the skill tree now so you can choose to add them (within the 91-point limit of course).

So if you, say, want more AC ammo, you snag the magazine nodes and bang, more shots for your dakka per ton.

#4 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:18 PM

View PostKishPrime, on 17 March 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

and is there an easy way to see those after you put in skill tree points?

By looking at the mech at store.

Quriks and stuff have changed a lot.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 17 March 2018 - 11:18 PM.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:08 AM

You can see a full list of current quirks on the smurfy website (scroll about halfway down the page for the list of quirks).

Looking at the effect the skill tree has, it's percentage based, so mechs with decent quirks get more decent....er benefits out of complimentary skill tree nodes.

As for actually seeing the effect the skill tree has on your build, it's not super intuitive or user friendly to find. You can see a list on the mech select screen if you mouse over a mech, but it doesn't always show all your quirks. Instead, In the loadout screen, at the bottom of the warehouse panel on the right, click the expand/collapse button:

Posted Image

It will open a new panel, scroll down, and it will show you all the final quirk values for your mech after they've been modified by your skill tree choices:

Posted Image

As for effective weapons, clan laser vomit is still great, clan laser vomit and gauss is still better than great, SRM's are fun if boated, Heavy Lasers are OK if you have a steady hand, but are generally too hot and situational (re. useless against lights), ATM's are great fun (though not super optimal) if you enjoy LRM's but are also prepared to risk your paint job with direct line of sight, RAC5's are OK on certain mechs, RAC2's are generally poop, light gauss is... well, you're better off with an AC5 I guess, and heavy gauss is good by itself, but AMAZING if you can cram two of them onto a Mauler/Cyclops or Annihilator (especially the Anni). Clan Dakka is just OK, 'Sphere dakka is just OK (though great on some quirked mechs), and machine guns are late match weapons of mass destruction if you can fit more than 4 of them on a light or a medium (an enemy Piranha + any exposed component on your mech = "hey, what's shooting m... oh, i'm dead").

Welcome back, have fun Posted Image

#6 KishPrime

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

Thanks all, think I've got some good tips to dive back in. Already won a 1v3 to finish off a match last night, so the fun is already back in full supply haha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users