128 replies to this topic

#121 Shaix

• Pip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTaipei

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:42 AM

Also Asian connectivity to AU isn't the only issue here.

Before the ping times to SG from around the world were better for everyone except Aussies. Now the ping times to AU are a lot worse for everyone in the world except obviously the Aussies. So why would NA/Europe/Asian players play on it if the ping times are worse? They will simply stop playing on it or suffer through high latency.

Before:
NA to SG: 160-210
EU to SG: 280-300
ASIA: to SG: 1-60
AU to SG: 110-310

Now:
NA to AU: 300-400
EU to AU: 350-500
ASIA to AU: 310-500
AU to AU: 5-40

That's what I observed playing myself.

And currently my ping times from Taipei are: 195 to NA, 295 to EU and 310 to AU (was 50 to SG, should be 160 to AU over proper connectivity.)

I would also like to add that the host state rewind is actually really good in the game, and if your connection is stable, just has latency, it is not too bad to play. However, if your connection is unstable somewhere along the path, you will get rubber-banding and then it's just unplayable. However many players do not know this, and they will simply refuse to play on 300+ms servers... Also not sure how well host state rewind works beyond 300ms latency anyway.

Edited by Shaix, 25 March 2018 - 05:24 AM.

#122 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:30 AM

I am confused as to how the server move to AU wouls affect the ping for the US and EU servers unless the AU server still serves a purpose in ones connection...

Based on the anecdotal evidence it seem there is more going on...

#123 0verClock

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:08 AM

put the server back in SG, i got almost 400ms to sydney, before i got 30ms to SG.

#124 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:56 PM

View PostSamial, on 24 March 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

Show us where this is confirmed?

You keep blaming australian isps for these issues when its plainly the Asian isp issues why..are just as in fault.

Russ Bullocks Twitter. He posted about this last week.

Again, you're wrong. Its the OVH data center issue. People in SEA have pinged other AU game server hosts and they get routed here with 100-150ms. Ping the OVH and instantly via the US.

It's a routing issue from the data center, it's been confirmed at both a user and PGI level.. The end.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 25 March 2018 - 02:57 PM.

#125 I cant want to

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

if this test were being run with attention to detail, the routing would have been checked out before testing in a live environment.
it also wouldnt have been run concurrently with faction events

#126 Sebaztien Hawke

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand +12 GMT

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:04 PM

View PostShaix, on 20 March 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

This sounds like a terrible idea, as it would drastically increase ping time to anyone in Asia. Of course it will improve for Australia. But certainly not for Asia. And actually it will increase ping time for NA and EU players too, since Australia is further away from NA and EU than is Singapore.

I am located in Taiwan and the ping time to Singapore is about 50ms, whereas to Sydney it would be 170ms at best (using PCCW)

If you want to have excellent point of presence in Asia, obviously Singapore, along with HK and Tokyo are the hubs to be at for connectivity.

Not for those of us in Australia and NZ, and I haven’t heard many... if any- Chinese/Malaysian/HK etc accents in game, so it makes more sense to cater for the gamers who are actually playing from a particular region, I think.

#127 Sebaztien Hawke

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand +12 GMT

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:08 PM

As a gamer/MechWarrior from NZ, I loved having the server in Sydney and enjoyed the 53ms ping I had. My experience was much better for it.

Please keep it here. We have to play MOST of our games nearer 300ms anyway... throw us a bone, PGI!

#128 Shaix

• Pip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTaipei

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:43 PM

View PostSebaztien Hawke, on 02 April 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

Not for those of us in Australia and NZ, and I haven’t heard many... if any- Chinese/Malaysian/HK etc accents in game, so it makes more sense to cater for the gamers who are actually playing from a particular region, I think.

I did state that obviously it would be better for Australians and NZ.

Don't assume that because someone is Asian they have an accent, plenty of Asians who don't have it... And there are non Asians living in Asia you know. I myself live in Taiwan and am not Asian.

Anyway, reread my post 121 https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6055238 as the issue is not just Asia, but actually the whole world.

#129 Mike Forst

Postmaster General

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 577 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

I'm going to close this thread so we can consolidate all conversation related to the OC servers into the discussion thread which can be found here: https://mwomercs.com...-perth-edition/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users