Jarls

196 replies to this topic

#161 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 25 March 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

It's sad that some people think that the only reason that some people enjoy the process of improving at a hobby is because they have sad lives.

I like when somebody will say something like "I just play for fun and don't care about winning" and then they posts about how they can't have any fun because they don't win enough. Bonus points if they also say they don't play much but actually have thousands of matches.

#162 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

Leaderboard statistics are useful as an approximate gauge of a player's skill, nothing more or less. You have to know how to interpret the data.

The system is inherently imperfect because there is no way to separate solo and group, or see what mechs people are using (some players just use only the top chassis - boring.), but is still useful to give you a general impression of a player's relative level.

#163 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:55 PM

View PostChimera11, on 25 March 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

(some players just use only the top chassis - boring.),

Strangely, some players feel that using something less than the best is denying 100% of what they can give to the team.

I feel that way every time I have to step outside my usual range of builds for an event: The inevitable result is my stats get worse, indicating I'm not contributing nearly as well as I do with chassis I'm familiar with and comfortably built into what I want to get things done.

Consistency may be boring to some, but it's how the job gets done best.

#164 MrMadguy

• 2,208 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

View PostRustyBolts, on 25 March 2018 - 04:19 AM, said:

Thanks to those who are actually having a discussion on this. So an average player will have a WLR/KDR of 1.0. What about the match score for an average player? Why the adjusted average match score? If all the other data is pulled straight from MWO, then the adjusted match score is subjective based on a formula created on what validity?

Simple thing - this is attempt to weight recent matches more, than old one, plus, as it has been said, to adjust MS according to weight classes (that isn't 100% correct, as IS Assaults are complete garbage in comparison to Clan ones). Why? Your skill can change with time. If system would account average stats one - it would be biased and wouldn't be accurate. This is one of reasons, why PSR is broken. Sometimes I play Meta 'Mechs, sometimes just-for-fun garbage. But PSR expects some average performance from me. As result - my skill is overestimated in 99% cases.

Edited by MrMadguy, 25 March 2018 - 10:49 PM.

#165 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:56 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 25 March 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

(that isn't 100% correct, as IS Assaults are complete garbage in comparison to Clan ones)

Cyclops and Annihilator say hi.

#166 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 25 March 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

Strangely, some players feel that using something less than the best is denying 100% of what they can give to the team.

I feel that way every time I have to step outside my usual range of builds for an event: The inevitable result is my stats get worse, indicating I'm not contributing nearly as well as I do with chassis I'm familiar with and comfortably built into what I want to get things done.

Consistency may be boring to some, but it's how the job gets done best.

Fair enough but for me, the difference in quick play/CW performance isn't worth limiting what mechs I use. I play the mechs that I find fun (when I'm not leveling random stuff) and do just fine.

Obviously, I have a completely different attitude for comp games.

#167 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:26 AM

View PostZergling, on 25 March 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

Cyclops and Annihilator say hi.

Victors, Maulers still do well too!

Battlemasters and Stalkers also above average performers. There are a couple more examples too,

#168 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:31 AM

Let me just first say I did not write the paper, do not understand half the paper (but I understand the other half), and do not even know enough to properly defend the paper.

My personal view though is that team WL ratio for solo QP is not a good indication of individual performance. It might be the best in MWO's case though, but I make a distinction between what's good and what's available.

View PostZergling, on 25 March 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

Then that research doesn't apply to games like MWO, because everyone in a battle has an influence, and bad players absolutely result in losses where there would otherwise be wins.

Unless you want to say that a player that runs into the enemy team and suicides at the start of every battle, or just sits AFK at spawn doesn't influence the odds of their team losing by creating a 11 vs 12 situation in every battle they are in?

Everyone should have an influence even an AFKer. Even an AFKer might have a positive influence on a team, might be surprising but it's possible, eg that AFKer is an intentional TKer or likes to yell in VOIP, or could have led the team down the wrong corridor, etc. It's not just that it's 12 vs 11 so automatically it's a negative influence. However the paper suggests that the strongest influencers are the top 2 players in the team. From my reading it's saying there's a stronger correlation of the top 2 players influencing a team's outcome (win/draw/loss), than the other players.

Put it into MWO terms. Have you had games where even with TWO afk team mates, your team still pulled a win? I know I have, and I've seen Baradul win despite being down 12v10. Sure maybe your team lost, but regardless of win or loss, we can agree that that AFK event influenced the team? Sure it did. But we cannot immediately conclude it's positive or negative. What was the biggest influence of the outcome, win or loss? Without examining every match in fine detail from every player's perspective, the paper is suggesting that the top 2 players in the team had the biggest influence, while everyone else did have some influence, with a mathematical correlation between the performance of these 2 top players and the actual final match outcome, win, draw or loss.

View PostZergling, on 25 March 2018 - 03:23 AM, said:

If bad players did not have a negative influence on their battles in the solo queue, then they would have W/L within a few standard deviations of 1.00 W/L; statistically normal results.
Because if they do not have any influence on their battles, then it is effectively a 50/50 coin toss to determine if they win or lose a battle.
But many players have low W/L with many thousands of battles; it is mathematically implausible, to the point of being impossible, for players to produce W/L so far outside standard deviation.

Go look at Jarls list and sort by Games Played; there's one player with 21,410 battles and a 0.79 W/L ratio in there (approximately 9,449 wins to 11,961 losses).
The odds of that occurring (if MWO battle outcome was a 50/50 coin toss) is a staggering 1 in 2,556,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

For a less extreme example, there's a player further down with 13,683 battles and a 0.90 W/L ratio (approximately 6,481 wins to 7,201 losses).
The odds of that occuring with a 50/50 coin toss is still a ridiculous 1 in 24.94 billion.

Given the majority of those players are solo queue, it is a fact that those players are having a negative influence on the their team win chances.

My personal take is that if I follow with the paper's arguments, then I will stop coming back to WL to argue why the paper's conclusions (or my interpretation of its conclusions) are wrong. Otherwise it's just going in circles.

A: WL is not relevant.
B: WL must be relevant, this guy has so many games with a <1 WL ratio, he's a bad player.
A: WL is not revelant.
B: WL must be relevant, this other guy has >1 WL ratio, he's a good player.

The paper alleges that the biggest influencers are the top 2 players in a team. If you're not the top 2, don't look at WL as a determinant for individual skill. If that statement cannot be accepted cuz whatever eg you don't believe the maths, don't agree with the paper, don't understand the paper, don't believe me, want to believe something else, want to hold onto long-held understandings, etc, it's then literally pointless to even debate its merits, because the standing counter-argument is WL is a determinant for individual skill.

View PostSjorpha, on 25 March 2018 - 03:12 AM, said:

I don't really think this paper supports the conclusion that only top 2 players matter, at the very least the writers doesn't seem to defend this specific claim/conclusion anywhere. It also doesn't seem to be the question they are trying to answer. I'd be very sceptical of far reaching conclusions going sideways from their chosen data set, I think you need to work specifically on that question itself if claims are to be made about it.

There is also a number of pretty significant differences between analyzing professional soccer and a game like MWO, the two most important being that 1; soccer tournaments play with the same teams throughout the tournament (while MWO SQ is random teams) and 2; the skill disparity in professional soccer is much smaller, there are no actual bad players in professional soccer for starters. They are all pretty damn good at playing soccer, they all train as a team and play as a team, this may create a stable background against which the best players performance can be the most trackable variable between matches, but we don't know what happens if you'd throw in some complete amateurs in some of the teams or play the tournament with random teams. Now that said I don't agree this article supports your general claim that well even in case of professional soccer.

This problem also: If your statement were true only the best players in the game, those who qualify for consistently being one of the top 2 players, should have a positive W/L while everyone else should trend towards a 1/1 W/L over time.

But that isn't the case at all! Instead there is a granular scale where all sorts of high and low W/L ratios are represented, and very bad players have very bad W/L just like good players have good W/L. Why do bad players predictably trend towards bad W/L if they don't affect match outcomes?

Using myself: I'm not a top tier player, I don't consistently fall in the top 2 player category but my above average skills still net me a fairly stable W/L record of around 4/3. How is that possible if your claim is true?

I think you misunderstood what it meant by "top 2 players". It's the top 2 players in the team, in a match. In MWO it's impossible to know, outside of established names in the community, who are presently the top 2 players in the team. Also, the paper is saying that the top 2 players have the biggest influence in a match. It is not saying they are the ONLY determinant. Every player has influence in the outcome of a match, positive or negative, but the ones with the biggest, and according to the paper by a wide margin, are the top 2, maybe 4 players if stretched as the paper caveats.

If considering match outcomes, these top players in the match are more statistically likely to affect a match's outcome, that means there's a stronger cause and effect between the match's outcome with the performance of the top 2-4 players. This means both ways, negative or positive. That means if that top player is on a bad day, his negative influence on the match has a stronger impact to the outcome of a match than say the negative influence of an average or genuinely bad player.

And finally, we're circle-jerking abit. The paper is talking about ignoring WL if you're not the top 2 players in the match. Yet the counter-arguments thus far are to still regard WL. My personal position, after reading the paper, is that if I'm not 1 of the top 2 players of the team in that match, granted I will have some influence to the match's outcome, I'm just not the biggest influence. I may have edged it abit, but I'm not the fulcrum I think I am. The problem is that we have no way to tell at any given match who's these 2 pilots short of celebrity pilots. Hence the extrapolation by the top 17% (2 divided by 12) of the MWO community. Since I'm not in the top 17% of the MWO community (hmm am I?), I would disregard my WL ratio as a determinant of my individual skill, and I will rather look for other indicators. Using WL ratio to decide yes or no to being in this top 17% will just be more circle-jerking.

For some of you who are indeed in that top 17%, by all means do use your WL ratio to examine your own individual skill, as that has meaning, more meaning than those outside that 17%.

The missing gap is how to tell if one is a top player or not. The paper explains in detail how they measured player performance in team dynamics to score a player, eg # of accurate passes, etc so I can only assume their assessments of who are the top 2 players are justified. There is existing data on MWO pilot activities eg kills, score, assists, etc etc, but whether they are good assessments or not to finally arrive at a correctly adjusted leaderboard, is well beyond me.

Edited by arcana75, 26 March 2018 - 01:32 AM.

#169 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:50 AM

View PostGBxGhostRyder, on 23 March 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

The data provided by PGI or any other source is false data period on player data for W/L the reason is any player above 1.2 is

#1 playing on a organized team in QP or FP to attain a high W/L record or
#2 there exploiting the game or
#3 there using hacks to enhance there gameplay.

Check my season 20 data. it is:
1) 100% solo
2) All matches done in the same non meta mech and build (Uziel 6P)
3) I did actually 'try hard' to play well
4) I had multiple matches where I carried super hard, comebacks, etc.
5) Most of my matches it felt Like I made a big enough impact to sway close matches
6) All my stats are higher, W/L, KDR, Survival, MS. This is down to superior positioning and familiarity with the mech, something hacks can not do for you.

The data is 100% accurate and legit as I was monitoring it throughout the season to confirm things like KDR, MS and W/L

#170 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:51 AM

View PostJman5, on 23 March 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

Jarl's list is a great tool.

My only critique is that I don't think it should weigh a recent season with very few games as much as it does. For example, last month I didn't play very many games, but I moved up the ranking quite a bit. I didn't feel like I deserved it because my stats probably would have gone down a little if I had continued to play more. The opposite could also be said for some people who just happen to have some unusually lousy games in low volume season.

I suppose after a few months it corrects, but in the meantime it gives you wonky results.

How wonkey are they? going from place 1 to 20k? or going from 500 to 600?
The later you cannot tell apart anyways the first you will never see.....

View PostJC Daxion, on 23 March 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

I kinda find the list fairly pointless over all.. There are folks that try every match.. and there are folks that just screw around 90% of the time.. the one month i actually tried on leader boards in one mech i did pretty well.. the rest is just a mix/match of screwing around or leveling mechs, or trying new things or playing the worst mech i can find just to see how things go for the night.

I will say it does show i am better screwing around in my IS account over my clans.. i'll give it that, everything else.. who knows..

Yeah, those that screw around get a worse WL - if i use the OCR tool that tells me the teams combined ranks before the games start, i can tell you in advance with over 90% confidence who wins. I dont want to have 5 of those people that screw around all the time in my team.

Edited by Cara Carcass, 26 March 2018 - 06:07 AM.

#171 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:07 AM

View PostCara Carcass, on 26 March 2018 - 04:51 AM, said:

How wonkey are they? going from place 1 to 20k? or going from 500 to 600?
The later you cannot tell apart anyways the first you will never see.....

I don't think it's super dramatic like 1 to 20k. I just moved from one page to another. It's mostly because I don't think you get good averages from just a handful of games played in a season. It can be way higher than usual or lower depending on the conditions. I think that because of this uncertainty it would be better if the formula encouraged people to play a little more.

I see enough people in the regular leaderboard squatting in high ranks with minimal games played season after season that I think it's a problem worth addressing on jarl's list. I've even had one of these guys get legitimately mad at me for focus firing him in a game.

Edited by Jman5, 26 March 2018 - 07:08 AM.

#172 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:03 AM

View PostJman5, on 26 March 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

I don't think it's super dramatic like 1 to 20k. I just moved from one page to another. It's mostly because I don't think you get good averages from just a handful of games played in a season. It can be way higher than usual or lower depending on the conditions. I think that because of this uncertainty it would be better if the formula encouraged people to play a little more.

I see enough people in the regular leaderboard squatting in high ranks with minimal games played season after season that I think it's a problem worth addressing on jarl's list. I've even had one of these guys get legitimately mad at me for focus firing him in a game.

Didnt the jarls list just change to ommiting players with less than 1k games?

And yes thats what i meant, doenst matter if i get tossed around between place 100-500. Thats the inaccuracy you have to live with. The running average is the indicator.

#173 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:24 AM

View PostCara Carcass, on 26 March 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

Didnt the jarls list just change to ommiting players with less than 1k games?

And yes thats what i meant, doenst matter if i get tossed around between place 100-500. Thats the inaccuracy you have to live with. The running average is the indicator.

Yeah you have to play a certain amount of games before you're ranked properly. The problem comes for people who have hit that milestone years ago, but are only playing a token number of games now. I just think the list should encourage people to be a little more active if they want to maintain/increase their rank on the board. I have nothing against Kaffeangst, but he's only played 24 games in 7 months on that account and he's listed as rank 1. I don't think it's fair to some of the other players competing for that spot that he can essentially just squat on it. Just like I don't think it was fair that my rank went up after only playing 16 games last season.

I'm not going to lose sleep over a silly leaderboard, but this is just my little critique that there should be some sort of margin of error adjustment when people haven't played 30 games in the previous season since they are more heavily weighted in your score.

#174 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

View PostJman5, on 26 March 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

Yeah you have to play a certain amount of games before you're ranked properly. The problem comes for people who have hit that milestone years ago, but are only playing a token number of games now. I just think the list should encourage people to be a little more active if they want to maintain/increase their rank on the board. I have nothing against Kaffeangst, but he's only played 24 games in 7 months on that account and he's listed as rank 1. I don't think it's fair to some of the other players competing for that spot that he can essentially just squat on it. Just like I don't think it was fair that my rank went up after only playing 16 games last season.

Yeah, all that is part of the reason why the Jarl's list, and leaderboard in general, breaks down in usefulness when trying to do comparisons between, for example, a player at #10 and a player at #200. It's more useful for an extremely general idea of how a player is doing in pub queues, as well as monitoring your own personal performance.

It would be really nice if the data could display matches according to specific variants/mechs though. It's theoretically possible with a bit of data scraping of the Mech stats page but would require running a 3rd party application.

Edited by Krivvan, 26 March 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#175 Abel Enders

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

The list seems pretty helpful, certainly more insightful then the website stats unless you are looking at a specific mech. Reading through the comments, I found a few things people mentioned to be conflicting/confusing:

Someone above said that 1.0 KDR/WLR is average, but elsewhere that percentile is a better indicator of that. The charts on Jarl's seem to suggest that 50% percentile @ 210 adjusted score is "average". It seems to me that average KDR would be lower than 1.0 when calculated over thousands of matches, even beyond standard deviation. The bulk of matches are either win or lose, and draws are rare. When you win, there is a reasonable chance that you could be alive or dead at the end of the match. When you lose, there is a much higher chance that you will be dead at the end of the match (there are exceptions of course, but this probably trends strongly as "every game type is skirmish"). I would expect that *average* KDR and Survival rate over thousands of matches would land a little below 1.0 and well below 50%, respectively.

Can anyone straighten me out regarding what can be considered average?

Also, I am probably guilty of buying too many mechs. I have about 280 and just over half of them mastered. I also have a pretty weird gameplay style- I "favorite" all of my unmastered mechs and play a mech with 0 skill points until I earn 24k-ish XP (takes a while, testing builds, etc.), then once I settle on a build I spend those points and grind them up to 45ish SP (goes faster now that I have some skills and it's like half the XP), then I just use HSP to max it out at 91. Once I hit 91 points, I "unfavorite" the mech, essentially hiding it so I can focus on the 130ish mechs I still have to work on. Sooo... what's my point? I guess it's that I'm essentially playing 0 SP mechs about 75% of the time, 30ish SP mechs about 25% of the time, and 91 SP mechs never. I'd expect that would skew down my averages/rating a ton. Someone above mentioned:

All matches done in the same non meta mech and build (Uziel 6P)

Man, some of you guys play a single mech for a whole month? I think I'd commit seppuku.

So that all being said, my stats aren't currently too impressinve (seem a little below average in KDR/WLR but above average in percentile), but it doesn't bother me too much because I know I've just been mindlessly grinding and testing builds (mostly solo but I group queue with a 36% buddy and we 2-drop into a meat grinder every night... it hurts) . But, what if I wanted to join a big unit... would it be best if I stopped grinding for a "season", played nothing but my best mechs for that month, then point to that if they want to see some measureables about me?

#176 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

View PostAbel Enders, on 26 March 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

Man, some of you guys play a single mech for a whole month? I think I'd commit seppuku.

I really like focusing on a single mech for a while to push everything I can out of it and develop a playstyle unique to a specific mech. It gets to the point where some mechs just become an absolute joy to pilot, like it does exactly what I want instead of fighting with the controls to get what I want, like with the Jenner.

Edited by Krivvan, 26 March 2018 - 10:23 AM.

#177 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

Objectively speaking, average W/L is 1.00, since there are necessarily as many wins as there are losses.

Average KDR should be be slightly below 1.00 since there are suicides, teamkills and such to account for.

Now what people consider to be "good stats" are another matter and all about opinion, but mathematically speaking you can't actually have more kills than deaths or more wins than losses on average, that's just impossible.

Same with average damage, you can't actually have a higher average damage score than the damage needed to kill the average number of mechs dying in a match. Which should be somewhere around 300-350? I don't actually know the average damage to taken before dying but it's in the ballpark. If everyone in a match is super good the average damage might even be lower than if everyone is super bad, since the shots will be more accurate in the match with skilled players.

A lot of people have very unrealistic and hyped up notions about this, or they humblebrag by calling their own very good stats "average". People have above 1.00 WLR and KDR because they are actually above average at the game.

#178 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 26 March 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

If everyone in a match is super good the average damage might even be lower than if everyone is super bad, since the shots will be more accurate in the match with skilled players.

The funny thing is that, for many people, playing matches in large groups of good players actually lowers their average match score since you're competing with everyone else on the team for it and the matches end far too quickly and very little damage ends up being farmed. When players wish to pump up their match score stats, they generally have to do it in solo queue or in a small group. Another reason why although the Jarl list is decent for a general idea about a player, its not very precise.

Edited by Krivvan, 26 March 2018 - 07:34 PM.

#179 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

According to Season 19 data averages are:

WLR: 1.08
KDR: 1.00
MatchScore:
  • Lights: 197
  • Medium: 229
  • Heavy: 234
  • Assault: 247
  • Global: 226

#180 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:54 AM

View PostJman5, on 27 March 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

According to Season 19 data averages are:

WLR: 1.08
KDR: 1.00
MatchScore:
  • Lights: 197
  • Medium: 229
  • Heavy: 234
  • Assault: 247
  • Global: 226

wow seems low for matchscore...

Edited by UnofficialOperator, 27 March 2018 - 08:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users