Good Sources For Build/meta Info

10 replies to this topic

#1 liberty86

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:14 PM

I am just returning after a long absence in this game and want to catch up on where the game is at, and re-learning the meta. I see some sites I used to use are no longer updated, are there good sites to read about the game/follow the meta and builds?

#2 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:00 PM

The forums are still a good bet, as long as you're prepared for... well, you'll see.
Also maybe check out the MWO subreddit at www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/ and ask around in there

#3 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

Mech Specs.com, lots of good content. I try to gleen inspiration there.

#4 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:40 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 25 March 2018 - 11:00 PM, said:

The forums are still a good bet, as long as you're prepared for... well, you'll see.
... for clueless diletantes posting garbage builds and trying to sell them as meta. If you understand mech building, you should have little to no difficulty spotting them in the wild.

#5 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:30 PM

MechSpecs is a good site but post run the gambit from Meta to Troll builds (I'm always surprise how many people support XLs on IS Heavies)

Also, I regularly check out the statistics on Smurfy to see whats been popular for the past month. It runs the gambit as well with flavor of the week builds but once in awhile you see a diamond in the ruff worth saving to memory.

Edited by Steel Raven, 24 April 2018 - 09:31 PM.

#6 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:31 PM

Smurfy's has a statistics page that has whatever builds people are looking at a lot. It's not always a good indicator of what's meta. But it gives you an idea of some of the ideas people are running.

#7 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:40 AM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 18 April 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

Mech Specs.com, lots of good content. I try to gleen inspiration there.

View PostSteel Raven, on 24 April 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

MechSpecs is a good site but post run the gambit from Meta to Troll builds (I'm always surprise how many people support XLs on IS Heavies)

Also, I regularly check out the statistics on Smurfy to see whats been popular for the past month. It runs the gambit as well with flavor of the week builds but once in awhile you see a diamond in the ruff worth saving to memory.

View PostMechaBattler, on 24 April 2018 - 10:31 PM, said:

Smurfy's has a statistics page that has whatever builds people are looking at a lot. It's not always a good indicator of what's meta. But it gives you an idea of some of the ideas people are running.

I forgot about Smurphy's recommendations.

#8 liberty86

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:35 AM

Thank you all for your input, I try not to mirror meta exactly but understanding what everyone else considers good helps me learn why certain builds/weapons/concepts might be good or bad. Thanks!

#9 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

A pretty good player put together this list: https://docs.google....e#gid=868162679

It's a pretty good reference of what mechs are "good" and which are "bad".

#10 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:29 PM

^ ^ ^ DenAirwalker's list is pretty legit and I mostly agree with it. Keep in mind, that list is explicitly in context of solo pug matches (or at least I think it used to be)

This site used to be a gold standard: http://metamechs.com/

It has not been updated in a while, but a lot of the concepts are still sound and at the least gives you a glimpse into logical mech builds.

#11 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:41 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 24 April 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

The question on some of those XL IS builds is... how old are they? If they are before new tech, than that use to be what people would do. Back then larger engines gave you so many benefits, like faster twisting speeds. So everyone was in an "arms race" to get the largest engine in and still have a viable build afterwards.

Now a days we have LFE, which is more preferred over XL engines due to it's survivability. So... if it's an old build that was posted, that may be why...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users