What Non-Top-Tier Mech Are You Looking Forward To Trying In Solaris?

27 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

Title kinda says it all. I am curious what mech are you excited to see how you can do in Solaris game mode?

Mine,

HBK-4G Can't wait to try this mech!

Death's Kneel This little guy just feels like it should be in an arena.

#2 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

All the normally sub-optimal or straight bad variants of good mechs, actually. I think trying to find workable builds in the same tier-class will be interesting.

#3 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

Spider 5V and Urbanmechs are at the top of my list after having tried all Light mechs when testing for non-Solaris 1v1 like MWA.

The Spider-5V is a joy for just taking your piddling amount of firepower and having to make the shot over and over again maintaining focus on your movement and kiting.

The Urbanmechs are already quite good in 1v1, but I know they beat much heavier mechs which makes me want to use them.

#4 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,890 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

Caveat: It will all depend on the divisions. But if they put the non-hero Quickdraws in with a reasonable mix of comparable mechs, then those are what I will play if/when I play the mode at all.

Second caveat: I have no intention of playing Solaris, except during occasional bouts of insomnia or during a bender where I am playing at odd hours with none of my unit mates, then I might consider playing it, and if I do it will be with those aforementioned Quickdraws or really stupid alcohol inspired troll builds like a 6LPL Kodiak 2 or maybe a 2RAC5 2RAC2 Cataphract or something equally stupid.

Third caveat: I suspect that when Solaris drops, which also will occur at about the same time HBS’s Battletech is released, the population around here is going to be so low that Solaris will be the only game in town. Group queue and FP will be for perhaps a month or more made essentially non-viable due to lack of players. If that turns out to be the case then I may play Solaris in a variety of mechs, including the aforementioned Quickdraws, but also will probably work through my entire stable of 197 mechs because wtf, I’ll have nothing better to do until the group population recovers enough to play as a team again.

#5 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Cicadas. Particularly the 2B. Pilots like a light, has a decent punch and armor for its size, and someone has to keep the BSKada alive after all.

#6 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:14 PM

Hoping divisions are set up so I can enjoy playing Cents and my mothballed Dragons. Fang and Flame have not seen the light of day for a long time. Planning on staying away from the PPFLD divisions where the winning is usually the one one who gets their alpha in first.

Still hoping for an Urbie only division.

#7 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

All of them.
Gauss ERL "snipers", MRM boat Stalkers, 12 light pulse Nova, 4xUAC20 Dire, hell even some LRM boat.

There's absolutely nothing I wouldn't want to try out. Heck if I'd have Ultraviolet pods 8 LMG Dire would be on the list, too.

#8 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

Will bring out the slower mechs. Not that I cant make em work in QP, but smaller maps and the focus on only ONE opponent rather than 11 others possibly interrupting my duel will make it that more interesting.
Will bring out a Shadow Hawk in the medium IS category though. Not that Shawks are bad at all, but its a medium I really should start piloting more again. Like the HUnchys taller lefty cousin.

Still kinda baffled by the flamer ban.... they really should unban them if they could SOMEHOW make em useful but not also devastating by stunlocking in S7.. Hmm.

#9 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

View PostKodiakGW, on 26 March 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

staying away from the PPFLD divisions where the winning is usually the one one who gets their alpha in first.

Still hoping for an Urbie only division.

PPFLD isn't strong in 1v1 and 2v2. The name of the game there is Sustained DPS and HP. PPFLD ends up getting out-DPSed. PPFLD is only good if you can have downtime that prevents the opponent from retaliating and/or you have enough of it that an opponent is instantly killed. This generally is not the case in a 1v1.

The Urbanmech is very strong in 1v1, to the point where it takes on certain Assault mechs in an open fight without even taking cover into consideration.

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 26 March 2018 - 12:30 PM, said:

There's absolutely nothing I wouldn't want to try out. Heck if I'd have Ultraviolet pods 8 LMG Dire would be on the list, too.

The 8xLBX2 Dire Wolf is an absolute terror in 1v1. You have to treat it like a 1000m range Machine Gun.

Edited by Krivvan, 26 March 2018 - 01:50 PM.

#10 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

Has this been explained anywhere - are tiers also going to be divided up by weight, or all lumped together based on how good the variant is?

#11 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 26 March 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

Has this been explained anywhere - are tiers also going to be divided up by weight, or all lumped together based on how good the variant is?

Divided up depending on how good the variant is, and moving up and down depending on performance each season.

#12 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 26 March 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

Not really well explained, but lumped based on a PGI determined brackets (7 total I think) based on how good they are. You could have heavies and lights in the same tier potentially.

#13 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

I wanna see how good an Archer works out with 6 ASRM6 and those super high durability side torsos when doors are closed. Once I see what divisions things are in I'll have to come up with some things.

#14 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

Gargoyle, haha.

#15 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:13 PM

Dual Heavy Gauss and 3 large pulse laser Urbie 177kph ...

Yes one can dream...

#16 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:36 AM

I think I'll wait to see the divisions, but I like running fast lights and kiting so if the locust has some reasonably favourable matchups in it's division I'll probably play that a lot.

I expect there to be a lot of mismatches in the first iteration though since PGI doesn't really have a lot of data or experience on 1v1 strength, so we might see some very dominant chassis especially in the lower divisions as well as some really trolltastic strategies.

#17 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

Zeus.

#18 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

Besides the new Hero mechs, I'm going to really enjoy bringing out my Orion V with a special build on it that I'm not sharing Posted Image.

Edited by Athom83, 27 March 2018 - 01:59 PM.

#19 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

Maybe a Cataphract if it is rated properly....

Which I have no idea how PGI will do those ratings for season 1, it’s likely to be a disaster out of the box with mechs getting over-rated and under-rated.

#20 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

Trebuchet. that thing is rarely used and not the best. it'll be fun using a semi-ok build on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users