55 replies to this topic

#41 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:32 AM

View PostCommander Harrison, on 29 March 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

And lets not forget that the majority of Australia may very well be soon speaking in "asian accent."

HA HA HA.

What ? you mean arabic accent i think unless i missed a joke ?

#42 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:33 PM

View PostCommander Harrison, on 29 March 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

And lets not forget that the majority of Australia may very well be soon speaking in "asian accent."

HA HA HA.

View PostCadoazreal, on 30 March 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

What ? you mean arabic accent i think unless i missed a joke ?

I for one am not ready to welcome any new "overlords", be they from China, India, or the Middle East. Keep Australia multicultural.

#43 Magik Jack

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:29 PM

Maybe a server in Hawaii would help?

I joke. Anyway, it would be great if the SEA and AUSSIE players could have their own server. Faction play is going away anyway, so quickplay will have more players...maybe? :/

#44 Doomsday Monk

Rookie

• Sergeant
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:24 AM

As a West Coast USA player who plays into the wee hours of the morning, I can say that the server move has so severely degraded game-play that I've disabled Oceanic. I could previously play at maybe 75% of my NA capabilities, but with the number of Very High Ping players on the new Oceanic, it's just not worth the frustration.

500+ ping locusts and piranhas teleporting about are not good game-play.

I suspect a number of others have done the same, which will cause matchmaking problems for the remaining Oceanic players, and likely turn Oceanic into a match-less wasteland

Edited by Doomsday Monk, 31 March 2018 - 01:31 AM.

#45 GeoDes TroyErr

• Pip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 10 posts
  • Location1.3000° N, 103.8000° E

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:23 PM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 28 March 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

I've seen a fair few people in Singapore (based on their pings when the server was practically next door to them) but while the official language there is English the accent can be a bit hard, and maybe they're aware of this and decide to spare the rest of us from trying to understand what they're saying.
As for the rest of Asia, Battletech and Mechwarrior are western franchises (with lots of Japanese inspiration, yes, no need to point that out) so it might not be as popular to them?

Seriously! the accent? Have you even visited Singapore? PGI, look at the stats, anyone who can read numbers can see that the server in Singapore is able to give good pings (below 300) to over 91% of the world. Whereas serve in AUS can only serve 39% of the world with ping below 300. Business look at stats, a good business study the stats and use it.

OMG, the accent......... tsk...tsk..... we are really living in a trump era.

#46 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

It's been wonderful being able to reliably track lasers on individual target components, and have my ballistic/PPC shots reliably register.

My damage scores seem to have gone up by about 20-25% since I gained access to 20 ping.

Edited by Appogee, 31 March 2018 - 06:35 PM.

#47 zugnish

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:27 PM

Just to give a sense of what ought to be achievable for the Sydney server:

I'm in Sydney. I typically ping to the NA server at around 250ms, and I hit the Sydney server at 20ms. Someone in the US located near the NA server should be able to hit Sydney at about 250ms. If the NA server is on the West coast, then anyone on the East coast will take longer, probably proportional to their ping time to the NA server.

The EU server was always close to or above 300ms for me. I doubt EU players would ever get a decent game on a server in Sydney.

My best ping to Singapore was usually around 180ms.

My guess is that players in Singapore should be able to get within 150 and 200ms, and players in NA should be able to get 200-300ms depending on where they are located. Other players around SEA might do better or worse depending on geography and routing. i.e. Phillipines might be better than 150ms, but not if they route everything via Singapore.

If you could get a straight line run through optical cable from Sydney to Singapore, the best you could get would be around 80ms based on 80km of cable being equal to about 1ms round trip ping, and Singapore to Sydney is about 6400km. Of course the cables aren't laid out in a straight line, it's not all optical and you lose a bunch of time in data centres along the way.

Same rough calculation gives about 150ms Sydney to LA, which is again unachievable in practice.

#48 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:20 PM

Oceanic before server change: I get 50-70 ms
Now I get 260 ms, still playable but not really that fun..

#49 smithmule

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:16 PM

this is my ping from sydney now the test is over.
na: 248
euro: 345
oceanic: 400

Posted Image

EDIT: after reading some of the hate towards aussies trying to get a better ping it seems we are not welcome. This is fine as i will be uninstalling now.

Edited by smithmule, 31 March 2018 - 11:38 PM.

#50 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:49 AM

Hoping for a new test this next business week to a new Data center. Seems very promising as a nice compromise location.

#51 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:09 AM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 01 April 2018 - 12:49 AM, said:

Hoping for a new test this next business week to a new Data center. Seems very promising as a nice compromise location.

Whoa! Who accidentally logged into Russ' account? We all know Russ only Twitters. Posted Image

#52 Maelware

• Pip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:17 AM

There are a few key issues with the data posted by PGI and the testing methodology

A: the data includes all users not just users in the targeted area. As for the argument that it negatively affects EU and US players, that's true and by the same rationale EU and US servers should be moved to help Oceanic and SEA players (which it most certainly should not as they are REGIONAL servers)

B: the data on SEA pings are inaccurate as they are currently experiencing the pain that Oceanic players have had to deal with (and work around mind you) ever since beta, which is of course inefficient IP routing. (something that is somewhat fixable depending on IP's willingness to edit rout tables for specific servers)

A set of more accurate data taken during a non 'mech release QP event (as this historically has the global population at its peak, creating a larger sample size for accuracy) , using server connections from within the targeted region would give a much more accurate picture of what is going on.

If the server does not pan out then that is fine , however having knee jerk reactions based on poorly run and coordinated testing is a disservice to the player community as a whole.

Also i would like to point out that this whole issue arose because PGI decided to call the server region OCEANIC , which implies that people in the oceanic region would be given the highest priority for connection speed and stability. When in reality it was a SEA server and they were just trying to market the game in the larger OCEANIC market.

#53 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:13 AM

View PostMaelware, on 02 April 2018 - 03:17 AM, said:

There are a few key issues with the data posted by PGI and the testing methodology

A: the data includes all users not just users in the targeted area. As for the argument that it negatively affects EU and US players, that's true and by the same rationale EU and US servers should be moved to help Oceanic and SEA players (which it most certainly should not as they are REGIONAL servers)
[...]

What's your source for this? I asked for clarification earlier in the thread, but I believe this is still not known.

#54 Grifter357

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:43 PM

Greetings to all,

I would just like to get my "2 cents" in:

I live in the Philippines and my Internet connection is via PLDT DSL.

I used a web utility CloudPing.info (www.cloudping.info) to test the latency of my connection to various AWS (Amazon Web Services) regions.

The following are my results:

US-East (Virginia)		 245 ms
US East (Ohio)			 246 ms
US-West (California)	   	 210 ms
US-West (Oregon)		 211 ms
Canada (Central)		 266 ms
Europe (Ireland)		 328 ms
Europe (London)			 316 ms
Europe (Frankfurt)		 428 ms
Asia Pacific (Mumbai)		 303 ms
Asia Pacific (Seoul)		 102 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore)	  89 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney)		 159 ms
Asia Pacific (Tokyo)		  72 ms
South America (Sao Paulo)	 344 ms
China (Beijing)			 354 ms
AWS GovCloud (US)		 249 ms

When the Oceanic server used to be in Singapore, my ping times there would be in the 80ms to 100ms range, comparable to the AWS results. However, when the Oceanic server moved to Sydney, my ping times plummeted to almost 300ms instead of the expected 150-200ms range. This made the Oceanic server a worst option for me compared to the NA server (~270ms).

Now that the Oceanic server was moved again (to Perth, I think), my connection now ranges from 280ms to 380ms... This makes the Oceanic server latency even worse compared to my already bad EU server latency of around ~320ms...

I hope PGI fixes this issue soon.

My personal view is that the Oceanic server (which more accurately should be called APAC - Asia-Pacific) should cater to both the SEA and Oceania regions. The actual server location should benefit the majority of the players in the two regions. It shouldn't matter too much for me whether the server is in Singapore or somewhere in Australia as long as the server latency is better than the NA or EU servers.

Cheers!

Posted Image

Edited by Grifter357, 23 May 2018 - 07:52 PM.

#55 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:04 PM

I just checked my ping from australia, to the old singapore location ... 260 ms, via the US/HK route, so I'd say with a fair degree of confidence that there are cable / routing issues again ....

all australian players got used to the fact that the 'good route' up to singapore, was a crappy piece of infrastructure that needed repairing, all the time, no one in asia gave a rats *** when the cable was fubar and australian players had to deal with worse pings than we could get to the america, so I completely understand how you feel, and the frustration you'll experience, as everyone tells you that its not their problem and out of their control ....

simple fact is, because of the crappy infrastructure between australia and asia, there will be no 'good place' for both groups of players, every route will be subject to problems, and that situation is likely to last far longer than MWO itself, the real problem is that neither region has enough players alone to justify the expenses of their own servers, I'd think that the total for the 'oceanic' region, is probably less than 5000, maybe 1/8 of the playerbase ...

without actually knowing where the 'majority' of the players in the region are, its not possible for the end users to really speculate where the best place for the servers are, if the majority of players in the region are in singapore, then thats clearly where it should be, and I would totally agree with a name like APAC ...

but I dont think they will ever give us pop breakdowns, because they dont want us to 'know' things, probably because we tend to use it against them

#56 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:12 PM

The next best location, for Australian players is to have the server located in Los Angeles, right on the West Coast.

This should be anywhere from 170-220 ping for Australians, which is much better then old Singapore location.

That is, if Oceanic is to be moved or changed again in the future.

Edited by Karamarka, 27 May 2018 - 10:13 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users