Fafnir

8 replies to this topic

#1 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:57 AM

So far all I've heard about the viable builds for the Fafnir is just Dual HGauss. However I have noticed for the Fafnir-5E it could be possible to run an IS-style Scorch/Keeper/MCII-2 build, with 2 LBX20s and 4SRM6As. That means it has an alpha of 91.60 which exceeds the 80 of the standard Dual HGauss + 6ML. Sure it may not be pinpoint damage, and the mech's damage potential decreases significantly beyond SRM range unlike that of the Dual HGauss, but I am curious whether people would run it over the 80 alpha ANHs. Would like to hear people's thoughts on this.

#2 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

I'm gonna go with probably not, because it would just be so very slow. Like you said, the HGauss can hit out a lot further than SRM range if it needs to, and when the mech is going 50 KPH being able to deal ~50% damage at 500m is really important.

#3 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:41 AM

OP, your build also have the option to alphastrike without ghost heat or charge up, which can make it nasty as all get out in close quarters, especially against fast movers.

Some crazy part of me considered a Stealth armor variant for the FNR-5B with 2x Gauss, 2x ERLL + 3x ERML and light engine.just for fun. It might give you the opening volley for free in alot of long range duels and It's doable without Endo Steel. You also have Dakka options like 3xERML and 4xUAC5 with ECM and an LFE325. 2x AC20, 2xLL, 3xML + ECM also works. It's not the most flexible mech but there are options outside the Heavy Gauss builds.

Ofcourse it all depends on the bonuses. Heavy Gauss looks like it'll be fun, and since it was designed as a dedicated carrier I'm sure the FNR-5 will have some type of quirk bonus towards it. The main risk right now is that it'll be too fragine compared to the Annihilator. I'm not expecting massive armorquirks because of the ECM and whatnot, but it can't be blank. Its high hardpoints makes it a better Heavy Gauss blaster than the ANH when it comes to damage application atleast, not to mention you have those massive arms w/ flaps that protect you from flanking shots.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:49 AM

View PostYondu the Ravager, on 02 April 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

So far all I've heard about the viable builds for the Fafnir is just Dual HGauss. However I have noticed for the Fafnir-5E it could be possible to run an IS-style Scorch/Keeper/MCII-2 build, with 2 LBX20s and 4SRM6As. That means it has an alpha of 91.60 which exceeds the 80 of the standard Dual HGauss + 6ML. Sure it may not be pinpoint damage, and the mech's damage potential decreases significantly beyond SRM range unlike that of the Dual HGauss, but I am curious whether people would run it over the 80 alpha ANHs. Would like to hear people's thoughts on this.

Top speed: 48.6 kph
After full agility and all speed tweaks: 52.245 kph.

Mad Cat MK II's top speed after speed tweaks is 78.3675 kph.

In other words... the Fafnir just isn't gonna be fast enough to pull off the close combat build.

My Stalker Misery always felt too slow for close combat, and so the 59.1 kph before tweak, 63.325 after tweak is just not enough even for how much the Stalkers tank, which they tank better than most 100 tonners do.

#5 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:52 AM

In a perfect situation that you're able to stay out of sight until crunch time, it might work but considering the speed it will be hard to get your positioning correct. Doubly so since that variant is one of the non-ECM ones (though that means it may get more defensive and/or mobility quirks over the ECM ones)

#6 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

My qestion has always been how will it compete with the Annihilator. The ECM version will bring something new to Atlas DC fans (Spooky Fafnir? ) but my money is on crazy perks for the Heavy Gauss as the machine was built around the HG fluff wise.

#7 Hauptmann Keg Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:42 AM

View PostKoniving, on 07 April 2018 - 04:49 AM, said:

Top speed: 48.6 kph
After full agility and all speed tweaks: 52.245 kph.

Mad Cat MK II's top speed after speed tweaks is 78.3675 kph.

In other words... the Fafnir just isn't gonna be fast enough to pull off the close combat build.

Setting aside that that's the same top speeds as ANHs and DWFs, and they can get into brawls (sometimes), the Fafnir has a 325 engine cap and can hit up to 56.6 w/max tweak.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

View PostIdToaster, on 12 April 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

Setting aside that that's the same top speeds as ANHs and DWFs, and they can get into brawls (sometimes), the Fafnir has a 325 engine cap and can hit up to 56.6 w/max tweak.

Used Annihilator's top engine rating to find what I did.

#9 Hauptmann Keg Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:51 PM

Maybe use the mech's own top engine rating next time? Just a thought.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users