126 replies to this topic

#21 Shaix

• Pip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTaipei

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

For Taiwan, it still goes through USA. And it's outside of my ISPs control as the route is made by flagtel part of GCX, an ISP that WA uses. It goes on flagtel network from Taipei->Tokyo->LA->HK->SG, then to Perth. It's weird, since flagtel has direct connection from Tokyo to HK, not only that flagtel has direct connection from Taipei to HK so it doesn't even need to go through Tokyo, let alone through LA.

I will submit my MTR to support.

#22 MrKvola

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

View Postzugnish, on 04 April 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Why was the Oceanic server located 5000km outside Oceania? (yes I know there's a whole post at the top of the thread that says exactly why)

I was just baffled as to why EU players were reporting their ping times to a server in Perth. Of course they are terrible. If anyone was suggesting that the OC server should move back to Singapore because pings from EU were poor, that wouldn't be far off from me suggesting that the EU server should move thousands of km closer to Australia so I can play on it. Not saying anyone was, exactly. It's a shame it's not under 300, but it has never been that low from Aus to EU.

I was not even remotely suggesting anything. Was just trying to feed data to PGI. Please folks, stop taking this personally, nobody wants to harm you in any way.

This is the second time I've noticed somebody suggesting to move or cancel the EU servers lately. I've no idea why the hate and attacks towards EU players/servers. Certainly not trying to provoke any.

#23 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:39 PM

I still dont understand why NA providers comnect to Sydney Australia through Asia and Perth. ... Not through the Southern cross pipeline from hawaii to NZ to sydeny.

Can PGI talk to N.A. providers about that or does every latenight NA player that plays during Oceanic Peaktime need to complain to their providers individualy which will never happen....

The server doesn't decide what path users take to reach it, the users local exchanges which make the initial connection to the server decide what path it will take. Users find servers servers dont randomly try to connect users on a fastest route when thise users might be asleep / at work????? Or can a server actually make a user disconnect and reconnect via a faster route??

I ask because someone was saying server decides not customers providers and that got me all confused. but I think previous blue posts explain it is providers being the problem and customers not complaining to get it fixed.

#24 _mungus_

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:51 PM

Perth server works well, 100ms from NT. Had no problems with rubberbanding or anything like that.

Did have issues with wait times though...

#25 Sedmeister

• PipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 66 posts
  • LocationKuzuu Prefecture, Benjamin Military District, Draconis Combine

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

I'm in Melbourne (south east Australia). Sydney is geographically closer to me than Perth. For some reason I am averaging a ping of 65 to the Sydney server and 60 to the Perth server. Either solution is a massive improvement regardless.

For the Aussie's out there, I am getting NBN installed in the next few weeks so that may improve the ping (or massively wreck it lols). My pings to NA and EU servers have not altered as far as I can tell?

Regardless, I am pretty happy with either Perth or Sydney. Thanks PGI.

#26 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:41 PM

Now it's late in night where the local traffic is really low, I have about 70 ping to EU, 150 to US and about 410 on SEA. I played one test game on the SEA Perth server and definetly not playable for me.

Im a bit surprised how it's supposed to be in range of 300 to SEA. But maybe it's because Im from north europe not central europe. The Sydney server was about the same for me, I think Singapore was lower but I nearly never played there anyway so I can't be sure, it was a lot anyway.

Anyway doesn't matter since I'm perfectly fine using EU and NA servers, I think the timezone difference is good so no matter when you play there's always someome from either region playing.

#27 Mike Forst

Postmaster General

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 577 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:02 PM

EU players getting under 300 was based on some early test results that ended up not being representative of the internet route that a lot of EU players are getting. We anticipated (based on some tests) that traffic would flow eastwards towards Singapore. Instead it appears to be flowing westwards across two oceans instead. We are still investigating why that's happening and will try to fix it if we are able to.

#28 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:38 PM

East coast NA getting 278-281, as predicted

#29 Grinster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 101 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:29 AM

I personally am pleased with the change from SIN. Having the link out between PER and SIN for so long meant there was no difference connecting to the NA server or the OC server( ~250ms). With the recent Data Centre move, I was getting 35-50ms to SYD and now 55-65ms to PER. Sweet.

That being said, I run with all servers selected. Even 350ms to EU is acceptable. A visit to Spain last year was my first experience of sub-150ms(sub 50ms in fact). A much longer stay in Spain is on the cards so my OC needs are near-term only.

#30 HamburgerJung

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts
  • LocationHamburg, GER

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:38 AM

From Hamburg Germany

NA 97ms
EU 21ms
OC 296ms

Ok its under 300 but ....

#31 Mike Forst

Postmaster General

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 577 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

View PostHamburgerJung, on 05 April 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

From Hamburg Germany NA 97ms EU 21ms OC 296ms Ok its under 300 but ....

I'd have to see the route you're taking to see if it can get better. Like I said in the first post though, there are limits to how much better we can make things. It's a long way for your traffic to flow down to Perth, even assuming it would travel in a straight line (and it most certainly doesn't.)

#32 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

Do you want to share an IP for a tracert Mike?

#33 Mike Forst

Postmaster General

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 577 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:40 AM

View PostNightbird, on 05 April 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

Do you want to share an IP for a tracert Mike?

There are instructions on how to generate a trace and submit it in the first post of this thread.

#34 zugnish

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:01 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 04 April 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

I still dont understand why NA providers comnect to Sydney Australia through Asia and Perth. ... Not through the Southern cross pipeline from hawaii to NZ to sydeny.

There isn't all that much traffic running from US to Aus, compared to US to Asia or Aus to US, so optimizing routes via SCN to reduce latency probably isn't on anyone's agenda. Possibly there's also $ considerations, but more likely it just isn't a priority.

Maybe the new crocodile dundee ads will help change that?

View PostMrKvola, on 04 April 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

I was not even remotely suggesting anything. Was just trying to feed data to PGI. Please folks, stop taking this personally, nobody wants to harm you in any way.

This is the second time I've noticed somebody suggesting to move or cancel the EU servers lately. I've no idea why the hate and attacks towards EU players/servers. Certainly not trying to provoke any.

I guess I'm a bit touchy. 6 months of 300+ pings to the nearest server last year has probably made me that way a bit.

I wasn't actually seriously suggesting moving the EU server - just pointing out that Aus to Singapore was about as reasonable as EU to Singapore, at least from the perspective of an Australian player.

#35 Ascheriit Davion

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:45 PM

From Surabaya, Indonesia

I get:
NA = 273 ish
EU = 204 ish
OC (Perth) = 150 ish

Welp.....gotta make do with what you have.

Hopefully PGI will keep growing so that 4th server can come into realization. Posted Image

#36 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

NA = 280
EU = 330
OC = 250

#37 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 04 April 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

Telstra own or have a share in it, Telstra have some of the highest backhaul prices in the world

#38 thraadash

• Pip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:28 PM

Singapore Player here.

Ping Times are as follows:

NA: 250ms

EU: 350ms

OC: 80ms

Much better than getting 450ms from Sydney. Also, I have not encountered any rubberbanding or disconnections so far.

#39 Kasumi Sumika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:47 PM

Today matches are mostly horible due constant random lagging and rubberbanding and I have been kicked out from a match because disconnected for no reason.

Edit: MTR report sent.

Edited by Kasumi Sumika, 06 April 2018 - 12:10 AM.

#40 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:07 AM

80-90 ping from NZ - I'm happy!!

Previously I would play NA servers as they were better than Oceanic. Just getting used to all the Australians now!! Fortunately they are pretty easy targets for banter right now thanks to their cricket team ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users