Hellfire Lore And Blueprint

44 replies to this topic

#21 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

This has been a fun read. It perfectly sets the stage for this Mech's emergence. Coupled with the HardPoints that I saw on the Pre-Order Page, I think this will be a fun Mech to have in Mech Bays. :D

Now... Where's the UrbanMech-IIC to complement this? :P

~D. V. "Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to this one." Devnull

#22 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:11 PM

While it is really nice to see another clan 60t mech added to the roster I as still waiting for dozens of classic mechs to be added that get skipped every month. Also I have to add yet again (and perhaps it is best to address this to Matt Newman directly)...why are we still getting 3 packs of mechs to buy when we don't need 3 of anything to level? I am all for supporting this game and spent tons of $ of the years doing so but with the cost of earning skill points as high as it is and the grind as laborious as it has become I generally just dont have the time or energy to grind out 273 skill points or more every month...even if it costs a little more I would much rather have the option to buy the one or two variants of a mech that appeal to me instead of having to buy mechs I dont want to get ones I do want. Another alternative could be to include skillpoints WITH mechpacks to reduce the grind somewhat (maybe 30pts per mech bought, roughly what basicing a mech used to be, a fair substitute for the modules we used to get). This format has been outdated for over a year please try to catch your marketing model up with your game

#23 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

That is the ugliest, worst artistic rendition of an urbie IIc I have EVER seen!

#24 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

View PostYUyahoo, on 04 April 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

While it is really nice to see another clan 60t mech added to the roster I as still waiting for dozens of classic mechs to be added that get skipped every month. Also I have to add yet again (and perhaps it is best to address this to Matt Newman directly)...why are we still getting 3 packs of mechs to buy when we don't need 3 of anything to level? I am all for supporting this game and spent tons of $ of the years doing so but with the cost of earning skill points as high as it is and the grind as laborious as it has become I generally just dont have the time or energy to grind out 273 skill points or more every month...even if it costs a little more I would much rather have the option to buy the one or two variants of a mech that appeal to me instead of having to buy mechs I dont want to get ones I do want. Another alternative could be to include skillpoints WITH mechpacks to reduce the grind somewhat (maybe 30pts per mech bought, roughly what basicing a mech used to be, a fair substitute for the modules we used to get). This format has been outdated for over a year please try to catch your marketing model up with your game

Its to prevent early cherry-picking for one thing. There would be a flood of just the perceived "meta" and it would be hard to get all the important feedback on all variants to see what is innately OP or just horribad.... while PGI does need to test their stuff, something simply will not become apparent until released into the wild... (bubble hearth pally or stun lock rogue anyone?)

#25 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:56 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 04 April 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

Its to prevent early cherry-picking for one thing. There would be a flood of just the perceived "meta" and it would be hard to get all the important feedback on all variants to see what is innately OP or just horribad.... while PGI does need to test their stuff, something simply will not become apparent until released into the wild... (bubble hearth pally or stun lock rogue anyone?)

While you may be somewhat right it is hardly a good justification for a lack of forward thinking and changing mechpack formats. Even back in the day when clan invasion packs were introduced PGI offered us an a la carte option. And really what would the difference be? What is so different about me buying say 5 mechs and only playing 2 versus buying 2 mechs and only playing those two...how much more feedback does the one provide over the other?

#26 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

View PostYUyahoo, on 04 April 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

While you may be somewhat right it is hardly a good justification for a lack of forward thinking and changing mechpack formats. Even back in the day when clan invasion packs were introduced PGI offered us an a la carte option. And really what would the difference be? What is so different about me buying say 5 mechs and only playing 2 versus buying 2 mechs and only playing those two...how much more feedback does the one provide over the other?

The counter argument is that those packs were tiered and the a la carte option didn't get you a specific variant, it was to cherry pick a specific chassis with its 3 base variants... for $55 if memory serves me correctly. So not only did it not give you any better choosing mechanic than we have now, it was noticeably more expensive that any of the new packs, even if you bought a collectors or hero add on.

For most cases, the new pricing is just more affordable in most cases unless you were buying the full wave... even then its pretty close.

#27 Eternal Claymore

• PipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

Looks neat.

#28 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 04 April 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

The counter argument is that those packs were tiered and the a la carte option didn't get you a specific variant, it was to cherry pick a specific chassis with its 3 base variants... for $55 if memory serves me correctly. So not only did it not give you any better choosing mechanic than we have now, it was noticeably more expensive that any of the new packs, even if you bought a collectors or hero add on.

For most cases, the new pricing is just more affordable in most cases unless you were buying the full wave... even then its pretty close.

Yest it was $55 for a single chassis...but if you just wanted the Timberwolf for example its was $55 instead of $210...and back then you actually needed 3 of a mech to level it but now we only need one and if we have mulitples of the same variant (such as in the collectors pack) we have to level each mech individually. A lot has changed since then and a lot can still change now and PGI can still collect their precious data because not everyone will buy the same variants as everyone else. I dont know why are are trying to shut down an idea that may be of benefit to everyone...more choices more options are more buying opportunities for PGI and its not taking anything away from anyone...the sad part is PGI asked me to post things here to provide the feedback in the most appropriate venue, yet no response from them (again)

Edited by YUyahoo, 04 April 2018 - 04:36 PM.

#29 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:40 PM

But my point is 3 mechs now is RIDICULOUSLY cheaper than three mechs then, a la carte or not. So I imagine if PGI were to charge per-mech, the would do so in a way that buying the 3 pack would still be the better deal, just like the old tier system would yield a much better deal than a la carte unless you only wanted lights and mediums...

I get what you're saying, just don't be surprised if the single mech price is like 2/3 the base mech pack price, and without the extras.

Remember, they used to have a light for sale in the online store, but it was so cheap, they weren't making money off it, or something like that. The best way to justify covering merchant expenses is to offer "value added" packs so that you don't feel dinged by the surcharges for each piece.

I honestly don't know what their overhead is per transaction but is probably another reason for the packs still.

#30 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:04 PM

View PostRoodkapje, on 04 April 2018 - 10:33 AM, said:

Since this is a futuristic game basically : Can that annoying Laser/PPC/whatever on the left of the cockpit be transparant somehow ?!

I really hate the mechs that have viewblocking weapons or torso's Posted Image

From the height of the cockpit to the shoulder, if the cockpit in first person is positioned correctly, then the view to the sides will be identical to that of the Battlemaster; it won't block your view but you'll be able to see it at the bottom corners of your screen.

#31 Martaloc

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:35 PM

I realy thinked that i can purchase some good brawler clan non omnimech at first glance, but not this one.
This mech is horrible dont you see guys?
Its wider as the Supernova with his lrm racks on the side torsos, much wider as the Novacat. The center torso is smal but the sides..........Horrible.
This will melt away under fire , the Sunspider has awfull side torsos to, but this will much worse.

Edited by Martaloc, 04 April 2018 - 08:36 PM.

#32 Anton Fetladral

• PipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:41 PM

Looks very cool and it'll be great to see a 60 ton clan battlemech. Hope the side torsos aren't too weak!

#33 Buenaventura

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:21 PM

We're used to getting a hero mech that has no traces in lore, but this time they chose a chassis where only 3 variants exist, and 1 of those isn't possible in MWO (ER flamers, plasma cannons). So 4 of 6 have no base in canon at all. Not that far from a Sun Spider/Roughneck type mech.

#34 MrKvola

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:42 AM

View PostBuenaventura, on 04 April 2018 - 10:21 PM, said:

We're used to getting a hero mech that has no traces in lore, but this time they chose a chassis where only 3 variants exist, and 1 of those isn't possible in MWO (ER flamers, plasma cannons). So 4 of 6 have no base in canon at all. Not that far from a Sun Spider/Roughneck type mech.

Still uses a lore based chassis for frame reference, just adds new loadout options along the lines of the base 'mech design. I do not see another way around this. Or would you rather not have these 'mechs in the game at all?

#35 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:05 AM

View PostMrKvola, on 05 April 2018 - 12:42 AM, said:

Still uses a lore based chassis for frame reference, just adds new loadout options along the lines of the base 'mech design. I do not see another way around this. Or would you rather not have these 'mechs in the game at all?

I think they are pushing for a removal of the 3+2+Hero mech purchasing system.

#36 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

Honestly, I'm fine with still getting 3. it lets you try out different versions of the mech,and if nothing else, it's a bit more spare cash. the base cost of the mech pack has never been crazy for years now.

one thing people should remember about the old a'la carte system they keep asking for is you actually ended up paying more per mech than you did just just buying the full pack.

plus... I'd say they'll allow you to buy just one variant around the same time people stop whining and wanting to see the Quirks ahead of time (should remind people that at this point, the Hellfire is literally JUST concept art). the entire point of getting a reward for early adoption is the fact the people who do so trust PGI/like the mech enough to have done so, not to appease a bunch of meta[Redacted] or forum [Redacted] who cancel their orders at the drop of a hat.

Edited by draiocht, 05 April 2018 - 03:41 PM.
inappropriate language, unconstructive

#37 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:12 AM

View PostRoodkapje, on 04 April 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

Never used a Roughneck/Kodiak/Thunderbolt/Hunchie and got the feeling that you should be able to see more on the left and right outside ?!

I am sure there is some stealth-like stuff they can apply on the left and right since we already have Stealth Armor : Posted Image

Troll harder. Stealth =/= transparent. Hell, even the mimetic camo from the Jihad isn't transparent. Unless you're in Trump's camp, and think that we actually have Wonder Woman's jets in our air force testing program...

#38 Ronan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:53 AM

If you really only want one, there is a way to buy just one. Wait for the mech to release for MC or Cbills. (I'm too brain dead today to make the quote system work...)

#39 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 04 April 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

you're just remembering the Null Sig system from MechAssault.

though technically that doesn't make you invisible either. Mimetic Armor does, though. if i remember right, it was either incredibly rare SLDF tech, or something the WoB came up with.

aha.. here we go... Mimetic armor is battle armor cloaking..

there's also these for Mech cloaking: http://www.sarna.net...rization_Shield
and http://www.sarna.net...ignature_System

the Raptor II is the mech you remember, however, it's not really a "small" mech. the original is at 25 tons, but the II is a 40-ton medium mech that's a slight bit taller than a Blackjack.

Thank you! I knew there was something that could do what I described Posted Image Posted Image

View PostTuzson, on 04 April 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

I m pretty sure stealth armor is invisible to radars, not invisible to eyes.. also, i actually use Roughneck/Kodiak/Thunderbolt/Hunchie etc mostly to see those giant weapons from the cockpit xD

Then I have misunderstood the whole Stealth thing in MWO... my bad!

I am using a tripple screen setup so having a weapon fill up the left or right monitor is not cool Posted Image

View PostAlvar Von Kenesthor, on 04 April 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

There is actually Stealth armor that makes your mech invisible to the naked eye. I read about it long long ago on a 40-45 ton mech named Raptor.
But that was Dark Age/ Wizkids stuff so you shouldn't mind it.
But the idea of just making half you mech invisible because "it's inconvenient" is just plainly stupid

OK how about this : Sensors on the other side of the weapon that project the view into your helmet ?! Better ?? Posted Image

View PostKoniving, on 04 April 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

From the height of the cockpit to the shoulder, if the cockpit in first person is positioned correctly, then the view to the sides will be identical to that of the Battlemaster; it won't block your view but you'll be able to see it at the bottom corners of your screen.

Hope so! Thnx for the tip!

View PostStridercal, on 05 April 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

Troll harder. Stealth =/= transparent. Hell, even the mimetic camo from the Jihad isn't transparent. Unless you're in Trump's camp, and think that we actually have Wonder Woman's jets in our air force testing program...

I have no idea what you are trumping about but if that means every male gets his own Wonder Woman for free : I am in! Posted Image

#40 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:24 PM

cant wait to tinker with this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users