The Inner Sphere Is Stagnant And Boring

41 replies to this topic

#41 NimoStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:06 PM

I would focus more of the story outside of the Inner Sphere in the Periphery and Deep Periphery (could be called the "Outer Sphere", I think that sounds more alluring), where 'Mechs are more rare and every disruption to an empire has long-lasting repercussions.

Overall outside of the Inner Sphere seems a more fun and dynamic place for storytelling, and even exploration and expansion as most of the space is unclaimed.

In the IS everything is claimed and known and thus it is boring. I don't care about the Davion and Steiner rulers or their petty family squaggles, to me that looks an awful lot like the british and german royalty which intermarry and their war is ultimately meaningless. I feel Battletech has better stories to tell about its universe.

#42 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:40 AM

Not too long ago I finished Jack Campbell's The Genesis Fleet: Vanguard. It's a prequel to the Lost Fleet series. The beginnings of the Alliance basically, back when they were first colonizing parts of alliance space. It features mutliple characters. But the ones that stood out for me were on the newly colonized world. Where a former marine is tasked with defending the new colony from essentially an enemy invasion.

There's the training and recruit side of it. Then the actual equipment side. Early on they don't have much in the way of equipment. Eventually capturing some enemy guns and body armor. And further on the colony itself produces equipment for them. The book plays out across several months. So you get a sense of development.

It's very interesting to see the early development of a colony. Are there any Battletech books that feature something like this? Where we see the development of a colony? Not just some mercs who pop in and leave when the fighting is done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users