Why I Want To Play Battletech (Hbs)

56 replies to this topic

#41 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:39 PM

If nothing else, the take away from watching random people on the internet play BT so far is that a variety of strategies are playable. The campaign is forgiving enough to allow for mistakes and bad strategy without having to reload.

Besides, we now get to give Phil from NGNG so much crap about Dekker dying.

#42 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:55 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 April 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

Yes well, i suppose that's uncalled for. But it's just frustrating when they're doing things poorly, and blue-balling ourselves with streams doesn't help.

This is really the biggest issue for me. Posted Image I don't mind in principle that they don't know stuff. But I get this irresistible need to mansplain to them because, goddamnit, I WANT TO PLAY.

I haven't felt like this since the 1980s when we'd literally punch each other over who gets the next turn on the Amiga.

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 April 2018 - 06:42 AM, said:

Personally i saw the Shadow Hawk in Battletech as some sort of lightly-armored multi-purposed mech. I'm just going to put AC5 + 3x LRM5 + ML + 2 JJ on it.

I agree that's a good build for the SHD-2H. I think with the AC/5 so good in HBS BT, it's mainly a matter of removing those extra heat sinks, adding missiles (SRM or LRM) and redistributing armour a bit (like that non-critical LA can have less).

I'm really looking forward to 'mech building in HBS BT, because the randomized hit locations change the realities quite a lot. No need to boat a single weapon type to easily hit that one spot, but we can think more broadly in terms of weapon synergies.

Edited by jss78, 15 April 2018 - 12:56 AM.

#43 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:43 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 13 April 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that it just damages the legs, which can end up destroying the legs of the mech. But i think it's still usable if there's plenty of armor (and heat) to spare. Something that Cohh doesn't do even if he has both.

He doesn't use Death from above, because your mech will be damaged, and it costs money, damage to internals isn't cheap and losing a leg can have that mech unavailable for over a week of game play, and Kiva was very generous with her repair times, and costs, for anything other than armour, and a simple same for same weapon swap.

I also from memory seem to recall a stream where Angel of death reduced leg damage is either not as effective, or removed all together, and no longer a shields against instability, it just reduces the number of instability pips you gain, so even a pilot with that skill can still end up on it's back with a destroyed leg.

Economy and winning battles with as little damage as possible is going to be a major requirement to be successful.

It's very easy to beat the A.I but replacing a third of each mech after each engagement is going to be a sure way of going bankrupt and losing the game.

#44 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:48 AM

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 13 April 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

I want to play HBS Battletech but I have potato pc. Not sure if I can run it.

Min and Rec specs for you.
<p class="game_page_autocollapse_ctn expanded" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; position: relative; color: rgb(172, 178, 184); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(27, 40, 56);"><p class="game_page_autocollapse sys_req" style="padding: 0px; margin: 30px 0px 0px; overflow: hidden; max-height: none;">

MINIMUM:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • [color=#61686D]OS:[/color] 64-bit Windows 7 or Higher
    • [color=#61686D]Processor:[/color] Intel® Core™ i3-2105 or AMD® Phenom™ II X3 720
    • [color=#61686D]Memory:[/color] 8 GB RAM
    • [color=#61686D]Graphics:[/color] Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 560 Ti or AMD® ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 (1 GB VRAM)
    • [color=#61686D]DirectX:[/color] Version 11
    • [color=#61686D]Network:[/color] Broadband Internet connection
    • [color=#61686D]Storage:[/color] 30 GB available space
    • [color=#61686D]Sound Card:[/color] DirectX 9 sound device
    • [color=#61686D]Additional Notes:[/color] Multiplayer is compatible between Windows and Mac versions.
    RECOMMENDED:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • [color=#61686D]OS:[/color] 64-bit Windows 7 or Higher
    • [color=#61686D]Processor:[/color] Intel® Core™ i5-4460 or AMD® FX-4300
    • [color=#61686D]Memory:[/color] 16 GB RAM
    • [color=#61686D]Graphics:[/color] Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 670 or AMD® Radeon™ R9 285 (2 GB VRAM)
    • [color=#61686D]DirectX:[/color] Version 11
    • [color=#61686D]Network:[/color] Broadband Internet connection
    • [color=#61686D]Storage:[/color] 30 GB available space
    • [color=#61686D]Sound Card:[/color] DirectX 9 sound device
    • [color=#61686D]Additional Notes:[/color] Multiplayer is compatible between Windows and Mac versions.

#45 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:04 AM

Oh another point.

To use Three LRM 5 instead of an LRM 15 you actually have to own those weapons in the first place. In the campaign game this is not guaranteed.

nipping down to the 7/11 isn't going to cost a few ounces of gas in the game.

While I suspect your correct, and find Paradox's pet streamer irritating, even if he did have those weapons systems, cost and time to fit them is also a consideration, there is no instant swap for no cost like M.W.O.

Kiva's work on the game has made the replacement and changing of parts almost half realistic.

What I've seen of the game streams the number of parts seems to be wildly generous for the time period, for non entity Merc units

#46 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:06 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 April 2018 - 02:19 AM, said:

I funded cause I want BT franchise to branch out and prosper.

then say nice things about mech games :)

I know i am so psyched that i will have MWO, BT and mech 5.. The funny thing is that MWO is a pvp FPS and that is my least favorite computer genera. The sole reason i didn't buy a founder package.. and i am still kicking myself because the 4G is probably one of my favorite mechs, and the atlas D and Catapult A1 are up there too.

On a personal note, i hope all the folks that just play this cause it is BT will find a game they enjoy. I know i will love it because i love strat/management games. Just wish i bought it last year for 25 bucks instead of SCII, because i bought that instead and still havent played it lol. Now i'm just gonna spend almost double the cash because i know i won't beable to wait for a sale :P

#47 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:29 AM

I am always good for a new mech game. I started my first mech game ever, Crescent Hawks Inception. This is like going full circle for me.

I like a game that has the combination of strategy and role playing. Right now that need is being satisfied with a few mobile games.

#48 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:33 AM

View PostCathy, on 15 April 2018 - 03:04 AM, said:

Oh another point.

To use Three LRM 5 instead of an LRM 15 you actually have to own those weapons in the first place. In the campaign game this is not guaranteed.

nipping down to the 7/11 isn't going to cost a few ounces of gas in the game.

While I suspect your correct, and find Paradox's pet streamer irritating, even if he did have those weapons systems, cost and time to fit them is also a consideration, there is no instant swap for no cost like M.W.O.

Kiva's work on the game has made the replacement and changing of parts almost half realistic.

What I've seen of the game streams the number of parts seems to be wildly generous for the time period, for non entity Merc units

In fairness, that's mostly because the player goes through a truly staggering number of enemies over time, far more than a "real" Periphery merc unit would fight, which means disproportionate amounts of salvage compared to a merc lance that spends months or years pulling guard duty on some backwater.

Actual lostech is vanishingly rare and even stuff like heavies and higher-end 3025-tech weapons are quite scarce, especially with the 'mech salvage system essentially requiring you to find a rare 'mech multiple times unless you went for max salvage and were careful to kill the 'mechwarrior without damaging the metal much.

Edited by Alexander of Macedon, 15 April 2018 - 05:35 AM.

#49 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

I want to avenge the honorable warrior Raju Mastiff, he is more brave than 110% of davions.

#50 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 15 April 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

I want to avenge the honorable warrior Raju Mastiff, he is more brave than 110% of davions.

After watching Bombadil's stream, my life will be dedicated to defeating Uncle Victoria in glorious battlemech combat.

#51 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:46 AM

I just wanna play the multiplayer part.

#52 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

I want to play BattleTech because it looked like it had a lot of potential to be fun during the Kickstarter (so I backed it), It looked amazing when the Pre-Pre-Alpha footage was shown, it was incredibly fun during the Skirmish Beta, and after all that...It looks really fun and engaging from the various pre-launch streams.

As far as I am concerned, I want to play the game because it looks and plays like a great BattleTech game.

When it comes to the streamers though, I'm not upset at their play, on the contrary, I enjoy their play. It's interesting to watch people who know nothing about BattleTech, use the game to learn about it and how to build mechs and forge strategies. It also reminds us about how in-depth and difficult the franchise can be to learn. Some of us have been playing game like MWO for so long, we forget how much their is to learn.

I'm glad streamers like Cohh are learning (and pretty quickly) about how the game works. It means that HBS didn't do too bad of a job showing new players how to play, and it also shows that the community has been very helpful in the comments which is something I feel very few other franchises can boast.

I'm glad there is a game like BattleTech available to play. I'll play the hell out of it, and just when I need a break, MW5:Mercs will be just around the corner :D.

It's a good time to be a BattleTech franchise fan.

#53 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

I'm holding off on the Battletech game for a few reasons. I didn't like the SJW political inundations that the devs were trying to shove down everyone's throat, and I am extremely skeptical about kickstarters for any video game (seen way too many kickstarters where people blindly threw their wallets at a game just to end up with disappointment). From what I read about Hair Brained Scheme's track record when it comes to video games, it would be better for me at least to wait to see how the game does after a few months and if it gets any mod support.

#54 Valentyn

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

I simply want to play it because I want a Battletech game.

#55 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

I'm looking forward to the open-ended campaign. And all the in-successTM expansions which I hope to be many.

#56 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 16 April 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

I'm holding off on the Battletech game for a few reasons. I didn't like the SJW political inundations that the devs were trying to shove down everyone's throat, and I am extremely skeptical about kickstarters for any video game (seen way too many kickstarters where people blindly threw their wallets at a game just to end up with disappointment). From what I read about Hair Brained Scheme's track record when it comes to video games, it would be better for me at least to wait to see how the game does after a few months and if it gets any mod support.

Officially, there is no tool set for mods for HBS battletech, they have said as much. That being said, if you want to mod your own game files for personal play, go nuts! Just remember for multi-player mode you both need to be running the same files.

Having adjusted the sweet blue bejebus out of my time with the skirmish beta, like to the point where it played like a totally different game, I enjoyed it.. I also got support from HBS on some of the tinkering I was trying to do, like to the point where they told me what equipment property I needed to adjust to get the effect I wanted.

That said, I also know that some people in the beta added in mechs that were not in the beta, I'm not sure how they did it exactly, but I know that they modded in mechs like the Warhammer, Dragon and several others.

#57 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:28 AM

[mod]Due to the insulting premise of the posted topic, this thread has been closed.

Forums for HBS's BattleTech may be found at
https://forum.parado...battletech.994/[/mod]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users