People Never Work Together

10 replies to this topic

#1 barnmaddo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:17 AM

For the last several games I've made an effort to use my microphone, asking questions about things I don't understand, asking for help when I get in trouble, warning my team about enemies I spotted but couldn't target ect... and everyone completely ignores me. I get that I stammer sometimes, but it's not that bad.

Just remembered I was playing with the mute button earlier and realized I've been muted this whole time.

#2 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:26 AM

Whoops! That....probably made your teamwork, not work.

#3 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

Even without mute they don't work together.. Too many ex CoD veterans these days.

#4 R5D4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:03 PM

View Postbarnmaddo, on 15 April 2018 - 01:17 AM, said:

Just remembered I was playing with the mute button earlier and realized I've been muted this whole time.

That's actually something that irks me; more often than not people will let you keep talking with mute on and not tell you that they can't hear you. Some good people will let you know you're having mic problems but it seems far and few between.

I've got pets with a habit of pulling out my mic cord so it happens to me from time to time too.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:28 PM

Yeah, the PUG queues are not where you should go if you want to see teamwork. It's a free-for-all deathmatch, only there's half of the players that you might try to avoid shooting at. You'll probably get better results leaving mute on. Some players will cheerfully and belligerently do the opposite of what you ask if you don't sound confident enough.

Group queue:

Posted Image

Solo queue:

Posted Image

It takes a particularly forceful or magnetic personality to herd your typical sack of pug potatoes.

Having said that... i'll usually always try to follow directions from anyone with the stones to try and call a match, even if their orders are idiotic. Need to reward that specific sort of bravery.

#6 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:37 PM

Having mute on will do that.

View PostSamial, on 15 April 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

Even without mute they don't work together.

People being crap will do that. Probably 7 out of 10 times answering a call for assistance or heeding the advice of someone in VOIP in solo QP will end up getting you killed for absolutely no reason. The MWO playerbase trains people to not listen to anyone else because it's usually the right thing to do.

Sucks when you need help, or when you do have good calls to make, but it is what it is.

Edited by Bombast, 15 April 2018 - 06:38 PM.

#7 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:32 PM

It's why Solaris is 1x1.........you don't need help or teams anymore if you chose....

#8 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

Make use of your command wheel, you don't have to get on voip... "target spotted" followed by "need assistance". Thats all you need to do, and people will come running.

To get good/decent at this game, especially in solo queue, do your own thing. Forget about your teammates and DO NOT go running back to "help" someone. That will only get you killed. Assist someone if, and only if the issue happening right in front of you, but do not break off and try to go save someone, you'll only end up dead. Selfish? Yup, will you be alive and still playing instead of being punted to the mech bay or in someone elses cockpit? Yep.

Watch any high end player on stream... Proton, bear_cl4w, twinky...no one plays with the team. None of these players jump on the mic frequently, if at all. Bear will coordinate a little bit in the beginning once in a while, but once the fight starts, he runs off and does his own thing never to say a word till he's killed everything on the map. Proton is a straight up one man army and will literally bully his way into killing half or more of the enemy team himself...again, he doesn't play with the team, only needs them around to serve as a distraction while he murders everyone. Twinky I don't watch as much but he has some god like aim, but does't zip around all over the place like Bear and isn't a tank like Proton but he's always doing very well. Of course all 3 of these guys are EmP or were at one point. And The_B33f, he'll straight up say it on stream..."why did i trust my team" or "Why did i try the team work thing, it never works". And for solo q, yeah he is much accurate.

Once i figured this out a couple seasons ago my overall k/d and match scores jumped quite a bit from a stagnant 1.5k/d to almost an overall 3k/d and my match scores jumped into the 300s. Its a really bad thing to admit, and say, but unfortunately that's what you have to do to "git gud" in the eyes of the score boards and stats. https://leaderboard....earch?u=humpday, plain as day you can see once i started doing this, kills started getting better and match scores started increasing.

Solo queue is just that, solo...so play solo, do your own thing.

Edited by Humpday, 16 April 2018 - 12:33 PM.

#9 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:37 PM

I was helping a friend set-up MWO yesterday and Tier 5 is pretty bad for any sort of teamwork. It gets better later. However, things I assumed my teammates knew to do, like wingman support, well, at Tier 5 forget that. One moment we would all be on the attack, next they are off chasing some Light leaving you to face 3 mechs on your own. They abandon strong positions to go die when all they had to do was wait a few seconds. And of course they still run to the 4 corners of the map, but I knew that would never change.

#10 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:46 PM

...and that is part of the fun at MWO, everyone runs like headless chickens, nascaring around every time, and that is the greatest amusement in the world. Posted Image

#11 Cnaiur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:24 AM

Humpday pretty much nails it. The nice thing is the better you do at playing as an individual and maximizing your match score, the better your W/L ratio gets.

I should emphasize that playing “selfishly” does not mean playing passively, or hiding from the enemy. One thing I’ve realized about the top players is they are always either firing or seeking a viable firing solution. If they’re standing around behind cover, it’s to let their weapons cycle and their heat go down.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users