Mad-3R Build Looking For Feedback

13 replies to this topic

#1 RushLimbaugh

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:36 PM

https://mwo.smurfy-n...95d857899688612

Here's the build I am about to buy. Let me know if it's **** or not, seems to do a lot of damage, probably have problems with overheating?

My current build is a dual PPC and Dual Ultra AC/5 build all on the right side with the left used for shielding. Just trying to figure something out that's different after seeing some much better builds on here. I had originally found this current build on another site, reddit maybe. But anyways let me know what you think, I only have 3.5 million creds right now or else I'd put a light engine in.

#2 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:19 PM

You'll definitely have problems with overheating.

#3 ClockworkDragon

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:24 AM

I run 3 rac 2 and 2 er ml.

#4 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 762 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

heat will be an issue.
try to switch to a light engine, like this:

https://mwo.smurfy-n...0e5dec70d46dab2

#5 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

While a bit different (and lacking a 'shield side') this build is one I found interesting and yet somewhat similar: MAD-3R. It's intended as mid-range fire support. Not quite the punch of the AC20, but much faster firing with it's UAC10 and with better range.

#6 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostClockworkDragon, on 02 July 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

I run 3 rac 2 and 2 er ml.

Have you tried...?

https://mwo.smurfy-n...bcbc487e0957f02

#7 krevLL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 100 posts
  • LocationPolar Highlands - wait, no, Canada.

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

Considering OP's original build I'd suggest using two SNPPCs in the right arm along with the AC20. Like so. You lack range, but get 40 pinpoint damage in brawls.

Drop from Ferro to Light Ferro, the cost isn't horrible as far as changes go and it frees up slots for another DHS. You can also stand to shave a bit of armor from the legs and head, to be honest most people are going to try to strip you of your torsos in a MAD.

#8 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:01 PM

Can confirm effectiveness of the AC20+2xSNPPC build- this is mine; it's become my favorite and most consistent heavy. If you're careful with your right side exposure, it's absolutely devastating. It won't post the raw damage numbers of a dakka build, but it gets loads of clean, efficient kills.

You can also do a midrange version with the same alpha, although it's toasty as hell. The bonus on top of the range there is that PPC and AC10 velocities match up quite well, so you'll almost never run into convergence issues (which the AC20+SNPPC build sometimes does at the edge of its effective range). Plus, the AC10 gives you a quick, cool follow-up if you're close to a killshot.

40 points doesn't look like much on paper, but it's more than enough if your shot placement is good.

#9 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:35 PM

I've been enjoying many different MAD-3R builds, but one that really seems to work for me quite well is 2x LBX10 and 4 MLas, Standard 300 Eng. Run relatively cool, due to using medium lasers instead of ERML. You can run it on either the 3R or the 5M, so it's a build that works on more than one Marauder.

Edited by Gen Lee, 24 July 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#10 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:49 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 24 July 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

Can confirm effectiveness of the AC20+2xSNPPC build- this is mine; it's become my favorite and most consistent heavy. If you're careful with your right side exposure, it's absolutely devastating. It won't post the raw damage numbers of a dakka build, but it gets loads of clean, efficient kills.

While your build is perfectly viable, as an option you might want to try replacing the Light 325 engine with a Standard 300, like this. You lose 5.4kph and have to put a heatsink in the left torso, but in return the loss of the left torso doesn't lower your speed or completely kill your heat sinking ability (you just lose one heatsink).

The Marauder has a lot of nice builds utilizing the Standard 300 engine, and if you can protect the CT well it can be a frustratingly hard mech to kill.

#11 undeadasharak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

the one i run on it is rather unusual cant remember the specifics but its a UAC 20 plus two heavy machine guns and four medium pulse and a std 300 its a nasty close range brawler that has no probloms sawing through armor then critting with the uac and heavy machineguns remember to taget sidetorsos with lots of stuff in them or just drill through the CT excelent at critting out aanihllater side torsos and remember to sheild with the left side even though theres two weapons on that side your right side is more important beware it runs hot cause it only has the standard 10 engine heatsinks in it and if the uac jams your kinda screwed but if it works by the time you over heating you should be through and the machine guns take care of whats left with no heat like i said cant remember ammo or armor allocation but do as you see fit every player likes their ammo and armor load out diferent

#12 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

I tried it both ways, and found that most of the time I got more use out of the extra speed and sink than I did out of the STD engine; the immediate advantages outweighed insurance against side torso loss related penalties later in the match. By the time I've taken enough damage to pop the LT, I'm running too hot to keep using the SNPPCs anyway- and if I need another alpha right away, a cool shot takes care of that, so the loss of cooling efficiency isn't too crippling, and since the brawl is generally well underway by then the speed loss matters less too. Being able to close the range a little faster and push just a little more damage sooner made enough of a difference to be worth the risks.

It's likely down to player preference, though. It's a solid build with either engine.

#13 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:46 AM

My current go-to build on the 3R is UAC20, 4 MLs, LFE300, Light Ferro and a lot of heat sinks.

#14 Shanrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

View PostGen Lee, on 24 July 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

I've been enjoying many different MAD-3R builds, but one that really seems to work for me quite well is 2x LBX10 and 4 MLas, Standard 300 Eng. Run relatively cool, due to using medium lasers instead of ERML. You can run it on either the 3R or the 5M, so it's a build that works on more than one Marauder.

Definitely this. The MAD-3R was the second mech I ever bought and this is the best build for it. The splatter damage of LBX10s and pinpoint of the MLs works great together. Got my first Ace of Spades in that mech with the build.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users