Mad-5M Builds

5 replies to this topic

#1 Dreaded Candiru

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

So I'm brand new and came in with fond memories of the old Marauder. I like the new look (my first priority in selecting a mech) so I picked one up and currently am running it like this:

https://mwo.smurfy-n...5b97390d444d9eb

My performance and scores have gone way up but it's got some leftover tonnage and no slots, making me think the only thing to do is buy a larger engine. Before I spend $3.7M for an increase of 1 kph I wanted to make sure I had the right idea.

I've also got a couple issues with it; mainly its short range. A lot of times both teams will form up 800+m away and I can't do anything but watch the flanks and feel useless (or try to flank myself and get murdered). Are there any builds that let me contribute to these exchanges but still let me fight closer in?

Edited by Dreaded Candiru, 04 May 2018 - 09:50 AM.

#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

That's a decent brawler build, yup, you are very short-ranged so I would suggest you stay in the second line for the first part of the match then go in and finish off damaged mechs. In maps with lots of cover, you can surprise enemies and thump them. As far as getting a bigger engine, you might be better off just getting the speed nodes. Also, I would suggest getting rid of c.a.s.e. and using the tonnage for more AC20 rounds.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#3 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

Personally I would do this for brawling;

MAD-5M

And this if you need dat range;

MAD-5M

Good cooling, way better speed, Gauss range, and er meds to poke people down who are a little ways away.

The downside with either of these builds is that you're P.much ****** if that gauss rifle goes up.

#4 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:35 PM

I red circled your build a little, hope you don't mind.

MAD-5M

It isn't a bad build but there are a few considerations that could be made.

Removing case, which has been mentioned, is a good start. The way I have the ammo set up reduces the chance of an ammo explosion outright killing you without case. (also think about how badass you'll feel sitting on a literal ton of ammo) I also moved two of the JJs to the CT, which while they can be destroyed or critted, shouldn't matter. Moved your cooling into the now empty side torso. Those arms tend to fall off, you want to try and keep that dissipation going during the brawl, even if you only have the 20 left. I used the extra tonnage for a little more engine, and if it were me I'd drop JJs entirely for even more engine. You need that speed to close the distance and get into murder **** range.

Practice your "bird walker wiggle." Twisting a little from side to side will let you spread center mass damage across 5 of your components.

Use the left side to shield until it blows up, you lose some of your cooling, but it won't matter because you lose those two lasers. Once a ST is destroyed you can use it to soak damage. Destroyed sections only transmit a small amount of damage to adjacent components, and the Marauder is one of the better dead-siders in the game. Once you get down to structure on the ct, start giving them the other side.

Edited by Prototelis, 04 May 2018 - 12:38 PM.

#5 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

For brawling, I'd go with something like this: https://mwo.smurfy-n...64150907ae60e90

Dual LBX10's are very powerful. The punch of an LBX20 at a much faster rate of fire.

#6 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Oh, and welcome to the game.

Add me in game and I can get you into some group Q action. I run with a lot of different people of varying skill level, and you'll learn a lot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users