Clan Heavies/assaults Suited For Face Tanking?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:29 PM

Hello everybody,

I just played my first match of the day and during the match I had various comments directed at me (I assume, as I was the only one of us left alive at the time).

Oh my god, what is he doing?
Twist, damnit, twist!
Who let the Tier 5 in?

I did realise I suck at twisting, because I am old and slow and my reflexes suck, so I cannot hit worth crap when lining up shots after twisting. ;-) So I decided to play to my strengths. ;-) Now I am looking at a new Clan Heavy or Assault Mech, ideally with RAC, that has good surviveability without twisting. Do not have the money for it at the moment, but would like to know what I need to save for. :) I am also willing to consider Medium Mechs, of course. I enjoy playing those more than the Heavies I have right now. I currently have a Hunchback IIC already.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

#2 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:43 PM

Just give a **** about those in game comments. If your team were working together properly, you wouldn't be the last man standing :)

On the other hand, it doesn't matter what mech you're in if you don't twist and just eat the damage, you'll be going down fast anyways.

If you want to, add me in game and i'll give you a few hints and "twist training" within the private lobby. I've teached my brother about that a few weeks ago and he's twisting very good right now :)

For clan (only clan?) Heavies/mediums i have no recommends for you, i personally like the ebon jaguar and the hellbringer.
For mediums i love my shadowcat wich isn't really durable....BUT i mostly play my IS mechs, i love them!

#3 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:31 PM

Probably the Marauder IIC, but you should honestly learn how to twist, because even in that mech you're gonna have a bad time if you let opponents pick out a single torso location.

#4 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:50 AM

As long as there is no namecalling, I do not mind people critisising my performance. I was the last one alive (except for an afk), I did win the match, had 3 kills, 2KMDD, 7 assists and around 860 damage. My armour was quite damaged, I did the second most damage of my team, so I feel like I did my part.

Frankly, I keep forgetting to twist. I see an enemy, engage, concentrate on hitting and then getting back into cover. That's where I usually realise, this would have been a good moment for an Airstrike, that I was not twisting and that I did not check where the opponent is already damaged. On the plus side, I did target my opponent and called him out to my team. I just feel like there is way too much for me to do at once, so there is usually something falling to the wayside. I assume that is going to change with more routine. I am Tier 4, I play against T1 a lot of the time anyway.

As far as Mechs go, I have 10 right now and 11 Mechbays. I only have 2 Clan Mechs, the rest are IS. I was just looking for Clan, because I have 2 IS Heavy Mechs (no Assaults), but nothing Clan. And I enjoy the 2 Clan Mechs I have more than the comparable IS Mechs. So I was hoping to continue the trend. :) But if there is a good IS Mech suited as well, I would pick that up, too. I have a Roughneck (Laser Vomit) and a Warhammer (MRMs/MLs) right now.

#5 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:02 AM

I'd suggest the MCII, as it has a good supply of variety across its variants. The -B can do brawling quite well, as can the Deathstrike, but no Clan mech can truly go toe-to-toe with an IS brawler. (the IS have way too much armor for that)

#6 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:29 AM

View PostThrudvangar, on 04 May 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

Just give a **** about those in game comments.

Yep exactly this. While Spectating everyone thinks and says he would do it better. That happens often in Qp. Next match, you´re spectating the same people, they suck so much more then you didPosted Image.They dont even realiize that ,what you see in spectating is not exactly the same as the pilot see. Consumables as example. Dont care bout, like Thrudvangar said. and yep, training in private lobby is a good thing, especially the Solariy mmaps are avaible in the Lobby mode > skirmish

Edited by Mighty Spike, 05 May 2018 - 01:32 AM.

#7 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 05 May 2018 - 12:50 AM, said:

As long as there is no namecalling, I do not mind people critisising my performance. I was the last one alive (except for an afk), I did win the match, had 3 kills, 2KMDD, 7 assists and around 860 damage. My armour was quite damaged, I did the second most damage of my team, so I feel like I did my part.

Frankly, I keep forgetting to twist. I see an enemy, engage, concentrate on hitting and then getting back into cover. That's where I usually realise, this would have been a good moment for an Airstrike, that I was not twisting and that I did not check where the opponent is already damaged. On the plus side, I did target my opponent and called him out to my team. I just feel like there is way too much for me to do at once, so there is usually something falling to the wayside. I assume that is going to change with more routine. I am Tier 4, I play against T1 a lot of the time anyway.

As far as Mechs go, I have 10 right now and 11 Mechbays. I only have 2 Clan Mechs, the rest are IS. I was just looking for Clan, because I have 2 IS Heavy Mechs (no Assaults), but nothing Clan. And I enjoy the 2 Clan Mechs I have more than the comparable IS Mechs. So I was hoping to continue the trend. :) But if there is a good IS Mech suited as well, I would pick that up, too. I have a Roughneck (Laser Vomit) and a Warhammer (MRMs/MLs) right now.

Sounds good to me! :)

Believe me, you will learn when and how to twist, thats just a matter of time, nobody is perfect, time will teach you ;)

Hit your enemy and while getting back into cover, turn your left/right side into his direction... would be a good step learning it.
Most of the time he/they will hit mostly your arm while youre going backwards. If you face laser vomit clan mechs, you may also try to split their long burning lasers all over your mech while twisting your torso left right, left right.. i assume youre walking backwards with the "S" key pressed, so just hold down S and move your mouse fast left/right, left right.

Thats enough to spread the damage of those lasers or even low pinpoint dakka dakka fire all over until youre back in cover.. works also against lrms if you see them coming and shortly before theyll hit you, you turn your torso presenting your left/right side to the volleys.

Or make yourself train: as soon as your fire ends (laser beams are off) you twist...

Fire, twist.

A good enemy will hold his fire until youre facing him again or just bluff you, but 90% of the others will fire without thinking while you present them your side ;)

Edited by Thrudvangar, 05 May 2018 - 02:35 AM.

#8 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, I am playing with keyboard and mouse. I had to dial down mouse sensitivity because I cannot hit worth a damn otherwise. :) Sometimes I do remember to use a shield arm, just not nearly often enough. ;-)

Your Sun Tsu quote at the bottom leads me to believe you studied business administration somewhere. :) It is required reading for most management related courses. ;-) Not many other people bother with it.

#9 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:10 AM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 05 May 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

Your Sun Tsu quote at the bottom leads me to believe you studied business administration somewhere.

Unfortunately, no ;)

I just like that quote because it's somewhat true. Especially here in MWO ;)

#10 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:40 AM

It is mandatory reading in most business related courses, but contains very valid insights that can be transferred to a lot of situations. Everybody should read it. :) The version by James Clavell is especially useful. :)

Anyway, any other recommendations aside from the MC2 and the Marauder IIC? :)

#11 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:38 AM

The only other Clan mech I would consider for any form of tanking would be the Hunchback IIC, but that's a medium, and it mostly works by not being considered a prime target. (quad UAC2 + 2 backup lasers is actually better DPS than any other combo, and rivals many assaults)

Edited by BTGbullseye, 06 May 2018 - 04:38 AM.

#12 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:04 AM

I own a Hunchback IIC C, with 2 UAC 10 and 2 ERML was backup. It is what I usually play. :)

Okay, so if there is not Clan Mech that fits this bill, is there anything IS?

#13 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:05 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 06 May 2018 - 06:04 AM, said:

I own a Hunchback IIC C, with 2 UAC 10 and 2 ERML was backup. It is what I usually play. :)

Okay, so if there is not Clan Mech that fits this bill, is there anything IS?

I really love my Dragons, every single one of them. With a good skilltree build, it has more armor and almost
the same or just a little less structure as most of the non-100 ton assaults. My "Fang" is my absolute
fave mech.

Thunderbolts are also very good (for me) but if you want a real beast (with low weapon mounts unfortunately)
take a look at the orions. Not as fast as a dragon but very good armor/structure quirks, better
than most assaults and good firepower.

#14 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:45 AM

Tanks for the IS are abundant to the point of finding it hard to tell you which AREN'T tanks... Right now, the Annihilator, Atlas, Mauler, King Crab, and Fafnir are the prime tanks. (mainly because they can also dish out some serious damage and/or DPS)

#15 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

I disagree with Maulers and King Crabs. They have a wide center mass, what makes them scary is the firepower they carry that makes trading with them very costly.

Most people who ask you to face tank are the ones that hind behind you to save their armor while sacrificing your own which is a bad strategy, sharing armor and firepower as a walking wall of metal is always the best way to push and scariest thing to see for many though requires a level of teamwork allot of random PUG teams seem incapable of (speaking as a pug who often ether finds himself in the front taking it on the chin alone or missing the big push due to bad communication. Random 12 man teams don't always gel)

That said, the Atlas and Annihilator are the toughest though still big, slow require torso twist to spread damage. The Cyclops has good hit boxes as well and can move well for a mech it's size. Both the Mad IIC and Stalker have nice 'face towards enemy' profiles for trading shots.

Some heavies can also do the job. Not as much firepower or armor but smaller profile and better speed often make them my mech of choice. Marauder and Warhammer are my favorites, the Orion IIC can trade at the same level as the Atlas. The Thunderbolt was my go to for years, it's no longer the Meta with many preferring the Roughneck (also a solid choice) but it can still trade very well as long as you torso twist.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users