Why Are The Mal And The Stk So Far Behind On Quirks?

Balance

35 replies to this topic

#1 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

I don't understand why the Stalker and the Mauler are so far behind on armor/structure quirks.

They can't twist like a CP so why don't they have the armor to back up their lack of agility and mobility?

The STK has a low engine cap and the MAL can't take a very big engine if it wants to take ballistics and ammo.

#2 Mortalcoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

Power creep, sleipner is pay to win, which PGI is happy with, and IS doesn't have the cry power that clan does. Why would PGI spend time buffing old mechs you already own when they can make you buy a shiny new mech that's actually good, then they can eventually nerf that mech and the cycle continues.

Edited by Mortalcoil, 13 May 2018 - 08:40 PM.

#3 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:24 PM

Yeah my stalker feels like it belongs in 3025.
Thanks PGi.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

View PostXetelian, on 13 May 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

I don't understand why the Stalker and the Mauler are so far behind on armor/structure quirks.

They can't twist like a CP so why don't they have the armor to back up their lack of agility and mobility?

The STK has a low engine cap and the MAL can't take a very big engine if it wants to take ballistics and ammo.

They once used to be T1. =PGI never forgives a mech that manages to reach T1, and will keep them down for years.

#5 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:56 PM

View PostMortalcoil, on 13 May 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

IS doesn't have the cry power that clan does.

Not enough to get the negative quirks and sub-standard agility changed on the TBR, apparently :P

Answer is simple: PGI doesn't give a damn about Mechs that have reached market saturation.

#6 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:58 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 May 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

They once used to be T1. =PGI never forgives a mech that manages to reach T1, and will keep them down for years.

Remember the victor?? ooooh dear god.. But then again i too was a whiny bostord when they did the PPC/AC jump jetting thing that made them so powerfull

Now i have 7 victors in my garage, doing my part in keeping the victor in MWO!

#7 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:02 AM

My Mauler dont need no stinking quirks to pawn noobs . Posted Image

#8 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,902 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:46 AM

As to the Stalker: go back to late 2015ish, early 2016 (I'm too lasy to go find the actual patches atm) and you will recall the glory of the LL quirks, the missile quirks, all the quirks (see specific variants). The Stalker was for a time the go to first wave CW mech until it was brought low.

"If a mech is allowed to rise to the heights of meta it shall be cast down by nerfs, and it shall be a rarity in the extreme where the low will be allowed to rise even a little bit from the depths ever more"...I believe that is posted on a wall at PGI with framed pictures of the Atlas, the Kodiak, the Stalker; hell probably the Grasshopper, the Quickdraw 5K, are up there too. There are lots to keep them company and only a few to have been allowed some modicum of recovery.

As to the Mauler: Typical PGI formula. More hard points equals less quirks. For each hard point over waist height, then even less quirks. It is irrelevant that the mech in questions can't effectively utilize all of those hard points or that they are for a variety of different weapon types.

#9 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:01 AM

Piggy only knows how to spike things into the ground. If it was ever good, it will never be good again.

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:35 AM

As people said, it was good once, at this point in time I doubt PGI *ever* resets their stats for a mech to see how it is doing currently, so a mech that has done good once is forever seen by them as a top performer. They still think the Timber Wolf is one of the best mechs in the game when any competitive player can look at it in their mechbay and wonder why they should ever take it out.

View Posttheta123, on 14 May 2018 - 01:58 AM, said:

Remember the victor?? ooooh dear god.. But then again i too was a whiny bostord when they did the PPC/AC jump jetting thing that made them so powerfull

Victor finally got buffed after all these years and makes for a good brawler and can still poptart with a few 40 damage PPFLD builds, would recommend giving them a try if you're into either of those roles. UAC20+dual MRM30s is quite the combination, especially with its combination of mobility and armor.

#11 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:55 AM

40 PPFLD?!?
pffff
Take a double HGauss and poptart like a man, with 50 PPFLD :)

#12 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:07 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 14 May 2018 - 02:46 AM, said:

As to the Stalker: go back to late 2015ish, early 2016 (I'm too lasy to go find the actual patches atm) and you will recall the glory of the LL quirks, the missile quirks, all the quirks (see specific variants). The Stalker was for a time the go to first wave CW mech until it was brought low.

Even before that, Stalkers were meta PPC hill humpers during 2012 and 2013. Slap on 4-6 PPCs cause there was no GH at the time, and you were set.

#13 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:16 AM

Still have nightmares of the Stalker from its hill hump glory days....

#14 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:23 AM

View PostCK16, on 14 May 2018 - 04:16 AM, said:

Still have nightmares of the Stalker from its hill hump glory days....

Its funny to think about, Stalker with 4-6 PPCs was nothing compared to the dual PPC+dual gauss meta we had going for awhile. Though for the time people people just weren't ready for even that bit of damage.

#15 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:30 AM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 14 May 2018 - 04:23 AM, said:

Its funny to think about, Stalker with 4-6 PPCs was nothing compared to the dual PPC+dual gauss meta we had going for awhile. Though for the time people people just weren't ready for even that bit of damage.

Or what the Battlemaster has done to Clan players lol. Though I am sure many Is players still wake up sweating from the old TBR and Doomcrow days.

#16 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:42 AM

i Pilot an Nightstar just tell me about underquirking Posted Image

#17 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,902 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:01 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 May 2018 - 04:07 AM, said:

Even before that, Stalkers were meta PPC hill humpers during 2012 and 2013. Slap on 4-6 PPCs cause there was no GH at the time, and you were set.

Oh yeah, my vauge date citation was in regard to the first or second requirkening when it starte to lose its values. I think it was June of 2016 rescale patch where they finished it off (I may be remembering this all wrong). But for a good year before that (I wasn’t around much before then) it was a great mech. Damn near all of em too. But alas, Chris’s and Paul’s fixation on weapon specific quirks being bad for build diversity got the quirks tossed. And with those nerfs and with new and better mechs, the whole chassis went with them. Yay for diversity and player choice, well done PGI; another great mech made a rarity!

#18 Mortalcoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

View Posttheta123, on 14 May 2018 - 01:58 AM, said:

The new ballistic victor is still a great tier 2, almost tier 1 mech.

#19 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:39 PM

They need quirks, I don't care if they have weapon quirks, they desperately need armor quirks.

#20 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:57 AM

View PostXetelian, on 14 May 2018 - 11:39 PM, said:

They need quirks, I don't care if they have weapon quirks, they desperately need armor quirks.

Most of them still have modest weapon quirks. Armor quirks is what they need.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users