8 replies to this topic

#1 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:43 AM

I am not exactly a fan of Solaris and from the onset I imagined 1 vs 1 wouldn't be so interesting in the long term. Still I thinks it's a waste that a game mode in which a lot of effort had been put goes to waste when a few simple tweaks could make it serviceable for those who enjoy it.

Solaris' main problem is it has too little population and too many "buckets", fix that so you can at least find matches easily and the fix is easy. Just put all players in the same bucket, and rotate which mechs are available every "solaris day" according to power and weight of the mechs, you can use current division as a basis to decide what mechs are available every "solaris day". after all Solaris should be a competition to show which are the best pilots and the best pilots should proof they are so in a variety of mechs and weight classes.

"Solaris day" could be an actual day, or a week, or threes days or whatever, just a figure of speech.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:48 AM

I'm all for reducing buckets, but you should tell your idea straight to Russ. Link your thread or something.

#3 aardappelianen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 195 posts
  • Locationamsterdam

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:55 AM

Imo the divisions should be based on skill rating or something not mechs, one big bucket for all

What i would like too see is all the meta try hards quickly rise to div1 and leave all the non meta tryhards/potatoes in their respective division.

Also i would like to see a leader board for each mech and variant so that i can show everybody that i might not be the best Mechwarrior allround but that i am in fact the best damn mad dog C pilot out there :P

Besides i think this would give the players more personal goals to achieve and therefore be more motivated to put the effort into playing solaris

Edited by aardappelianen, 18 May 2018 - 02:56 AM.

#4 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:03 AM

I like the idea of a weekly Solaris day.

#5 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

View Postaardappelianen, on 18 May 2018 - 02:55 AM, said:

Imo the divisions should be based on skill rating or something not mechs, one big bucket for all

What i would like too see is all the meta try hards quickly rise to div1 and leave all the non meta tryhards/potatoes in their respective division.

Also i would like to see a leader board for each mech and variant so that i can show everybody that i might not be the best Mechwarrior allround but that i am in fact the best damn mad dog C pilot out there Posted Image

Besides i think this would give the players more personal goals to achieve and therefore be more motivated to put the effort into playing solaris

I have found that some games do this pretty well. World of Warships divides by the ship class and tier the ships classifies under. It keeps pre-Washington treaty ships away from WW2 ships and can, at times mix them based on levels of technology changes.... Which, is the key point.

MWO needs a system that can look at my Sun Spider as a weapon system and give an "effectiveness" value as I've configured it and that value is a combat power rating.... S7 then should have fewer buckets but what gets into those buckets is based on combat power rating AND your PSR/ELO. That way, if I am running a high combat rating mech but I am a 1500 ELO, I won't be in a bucket with a pilot with a high combat power rating and low ELO pilot who will kick my butt every match.... What is the point of terrible matches?

Also, this takes OP/Meta into consideration and assess each and every build based on what's mounted... Can't evade that. Can't "game that" and can't exploit that because of each weapons "value". Each mech is calculated against the map used: take a HBR with 2 HLL and 4 ERML's on Polar versus Therma.....two different combat multipliers because of heat. As many pundits have said, with a low population, quality of matches is extremely important to retention and NO ONE, will tolerate stomps, illogical mismatches or lopsided combat power balance for long. All weapons have DPS and heat numbers; all mechs have armor values; all pilots have a ELO/PSR rating; and, as history has proven, numbers don't lie....

It would be better than what we have now.....

Edited by Asym, 18 May 2018 - 07:24 AM.

#6 ClockworkDragon

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:26 AM

I'd like to see the option to play in a higher division for a slightly higher reward. No handicap, just a chance a more cbills. Maybr have there be an option to pkay at 1 or 2 divisions above your current division, for a 1.5 or 2 times cash bonus if you win. This way, better skilled players can decide to handicap themselves.

#7 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 May 2018 - 02:48 AM, said:

I'm all for reducing buckets, but you should tell your idea straight to Russ. Link your thread or something.

And use twitter and small words.

Keep the sentences short too.

280 characters might be too much reading and you'd end up with a "TL/DR" comment.

Example;

Solaris bad.
Make better.
Less buckets.
Love you man.

#8 Azure Kit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:26 PM

Make Solaris 16 man free for all like MW4 Posted Image

#9 Jettrik Ryflix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

Neat idea, but imagine how frustrating it would be for newer players, or anyone trying to level up a certain 'mech. You'd only be able to play it one day per week.

I think one way to reduce buckets would be to add an 8th bucket. But this bucket is an "any division" bucket. If you were to enter this bucket, the game could put you in any division that you currently have a valid 'mech selected for. If enough players queued up in the 8th bucket, it could almost eliminate the odd-man-out problem.

This could be especially handy in 2v2, for players just trying to find any match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users