Stuttering In All Maps With High-End Pc (Dx11)

6 replies to this topic

#1 Deil

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

Hi All,

I recently started playing again thanks to Solaris7 (side note, great expansion!).

Based on my specs (and my experience playing 2-3 years ago on a much worse computer) I should be able to cream this game, and it runs great (100+ fps all settings maxed) most of the time, but I get some major stutters/stalls both when dropping out of dropships, and a couple times throughout each match.

My game settings are maxed @1440p 90hz, lowering does not seem to help (raises my average framerate but does nothing to stop the drops) - I am using Dx11, have not tried Dx9 yet (is there a major visual downgrade? Im willing to try but most posts im seeing are saying Dx9 doesnt fix performance anymore).

I have about 2 dozen AAA games installed on my machine that run perfectly smooth, so while I hate the "its not my PC" argument, I've done all I can to rule it out as the culprit.

PC/OS Specs:
i7 6700k @ 4.4ghz with aio watercooler
32gb 3200mhz CL16 DDR4
MSI 1080ti with aio watercooler
480gb sandisk ultra ii (OS)
480gb Samsung PM971
1tb 850 evo m.2 (MWO install drive)
4tb WD Black
Windows 10 build 1803 (issue also present on build 1709)
Nvidia driver 397.64 (issue also present on previous revision)

I hope someone can offer some help! The game runs great and I'm having a ton of fun being back, but the big stutters/momentary freezes in action have been annoying, and I feel like with the specs above I should be able to play pretty stutter free!

Edit extra info: Running in "real" fullscreen mode with either discord or discord + a browser tab to facebook in background, nothing else. Facebook being open or closed does not seem to help. Vsync is also off.

Edited by Deil, 16 May 2018 - 11:15 AM.

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

I too have noticed those stutters. I chalked them up to the server sending info about the decals on mechs when they come into range, as that's usually when I experience them, and then they don't stick around past that initial load. Apart from that, just acts like normal ping fluctuations.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:59 PM

Task Manager, locate mwoclient.exe and set it to High Priority (test) or Real (test). Another player posted that is how he resolved the stuttering he was having with the game.

On the other hand, this is no like AAA games. Disable AA. Possibly set FPS limit either via user.cfg or custom Nvidia profile. No real reason for FPS to max out at 180 then have it drop to 50-60FPS

#4 Deil

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

Task manager priority did not seem to help (maybe slightly when I had other background tasks going, but nothing noticeable).

Disabling AA or using FXAA instead of TXAA/MSAA yielded higher average framerates but still stutters at times.

I will play with an FPS limit at/around my monitor's refresh as well. Be happy to take any and all other suggestions too!

Since I saw in other threads, here's my userbenchmark:
http://www.userbench...UserRun/8379760

#5 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:30 PM

your system seems good, and I would expect it to mostly run fine .... makes me wonder how bad the stalls are getting .... because, the way the game is coded, you will always get some stalls ... like spawning from a dropship .... before your dropped, the game has had nothing to show, it hasnt really preloaded the upcoming data, like you would expect any game to, and alot of things are about to start happening at once ...

heavy combat is another area that the game will probably suffer here and there no matter how high end a system is, original tuning was done early on, during 8v8, when putting 30 missiles on a mech was alot ....

other things like the time-of-day system starting up ( or stopping, ie the sun going down ) will cause a stall for everybody ... its not like the event could have been predicted and prepared for ...

personally I'm not a fan of AA, I'd much rather have a game look 'clean' without the extra filtering over it at the end ... but you might need to have it to some degree just to get the GPU usage high enough that it clocks at a performance level, without using a user.cfg to set the detail higher than its supposed to go ....

if you use a fullscreen window, try putting it into proper fullscreen 'during' a match with the keyboard shortcut (alt-enter), if your using your screens native resolution, the change should take less than 2 seconds, might perform better

Edited by NARC BAIT, 20 May 2018 - 07:35 PM.

#6 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:28 PM

View PostDeil, on 16 May 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

Hi All,

I recently started playing again thanks to Solaris7 (side note, great expansion!).

Based on my specs (and my experience playing 2-3 years ago on a much worse computer) I should be able to cream this game, and it runs great (100+ fps all settings maxed) most of the time, but I get some major stutters/stalls both when dropping out of dropships, and a couple times throughout each match.

My game settings are maxed @1440p 90hz, lowering does not seem to help (raises my average framerate but does nothing to stop the drops) - I am using Dx11, have not tried Dx9 yet (is there a major visual downgrade? Im willing to try but most posts im seeing are saying Dx9 doesnt fix performance anymore).

I have about 2 dozen AAA games installed on my machine that run perfectly smooth, so while I hate the "its not my PC" argument, I've done all I can to rule it out as the culprit.

PC/OS Specs:
i7 6700k @ 4.4ghz with aio watercooler
32gb 3200mhz CL16 DDR4
MSI 1080ti with aio watercooler
480gb sandisk ultra ii (OS)
480gb Samsung PM971
1tb 850 evo m.2 (MWO install drive)
4tb WD Black
Windows 10 build 1803 (issue also present on build 1709)
Nvidia driver 397.64 (issue also present on previous revision)

I hope someone can offer some help! The game runs great and I'm having a ton of fun being back, but the big stutters/momentary freezes in action have been annoying, and I feel like with the specs above I should be able to play pretty stutter free!

Edit extra info: Running in "real" fullscreen mode with either discord or discord + a browser tab to facebook in background, nothing else. Facebook being open or closed does not seem to help. Vsync is also off.

Bit late

There is an idea

https://mwomercs.com...bios-and-win10/

Over a year ago having HPET on gave me better results, but these days having it disabled is way better for me
With HPET on I have microstutters (though high fps)

Depending on the default bios settings HPET is on and windows 10 might use it
Worth a try to disable (or enable) and see how MWO reacts

HPET usually has no effect on modern games, but MWO being finicky at times

Also if your not using something to record matches make sure its switched off
I'm not sure what the standard setting is for the xbox app tgses days, but sometimes its switched on for recording (win10 comes with a recording option for gaming, should be off these days by default)
And shadowplay and overlays should be switched off for trouble shooting if they are installed/activated

Edited by Peter2k, 27 May 2018 - 09:33 PM.

#7 Doomich

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 68 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:45 AM

Hey hey!
My specs are slightly worse than yours
- i5-7600k
- MSI 1080
- 16gb 3200Mhz
- ssd Samsung 850 EVO
And I fixed stuttering by disabling shader cache in the nvidia panel (don't forget to clear the nvidia cache folder: Win+R %temp%\NVIDIA Corporation)
now almost no more stuttering! Happens sometimes, very rarely.
Im playing on 144Hz with 72fps cap and vsync On + TXAA (it looks much smoother than 100 fps without vsync)

And think about HPET from the previous message, I disabled it completely in BIOS and my Windows 10. Not sure about the super performance after that, but it feels like the game now breathes a little easier
Here is a simple explanation about HPET:
http://www.mikemarti...vent_timer_hpet

Edited by Doomich, 29 May 2018 - 05:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users