Bas Rancor

9 replies to this topic

#1 Lead Storm Hero

• Pip
  • The Fang
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

Hey everyone!

So I recently got the BAS and Rancor and I am new to clan mechs. My question is about the hero mech. He does not feel or seem unique in any way. Is this typical? I know if you have all the pods it receives some minor quirks... but not enough to seem to matter much. The basic variants seem to have better abilities all around like ECM and JJ while the Rancor has Las/Mis ST mounts. I find this mech best with gauss. So is the only thing that makes the rancor Variant special is the 30% C Bill boost? It appears to be designed for CERHeavyLas spam. I just find myself wanting to put gauss on top and 6ERMeds on the arms but then you lose the CT Missile and ECM. So in other words it seems... limited at best and I see no point in using it since its CT isn't special at all.

Can someone please clarify why you would want to use the Rancor over the ECM or Missile variant CT? Clan mechs just seem confusing.

#2 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:13 AM

Sure. In regards to an ECM CT chassis variant, ECM has fallen greatly out of favor in the current game due to a couple of factors. Useful ECM requires a substantial Sensory skill tree investment that no one really wants to make anymore in light of much better options for skill points in the trees. People with decent skill simply use cover versus missiles, and/or take an AMS on the weekends for the event madness. A one ton laser AMS or 1.5 ton standard is a better bargain over investing 17 points or more into the Sensory tree.

The Missile CT is only good for 2 slots, so that's an ATM 6 or a medium sized LRM launcher or a Streak 6 or an A+SRM 6. It's useful for certain builds, but not a deal breaker really. As for the Hero not feeling very special in comparison to the other mechs... Well, the Blood Asp is an Omnimech so it's hard to make it feel special when all the pods can be swapped around. The Missile side torsos ARE unique to it, so if you really want high mounted missiles for ATMs especially, it's the way to go.

I think people sometimes make a mistake in buying the hero in some cases for certain mechpacks. This might be the case for this one. Going with the Collector's version of the pack costs 20 USD instead of 15, but you get an (S) version of the Prime which in this case might be better than the Hero for what you want, and the extra cockpit items and 30 days of additional Premium time is a total bargain for paying the 5 bucks more if you're dead set on getting a 30% Cbill boost variant.

#3 Lead Storm Hero

• Pip
  • The Fang
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostFireStoat, on 17 May 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

Sure. In regards to an ECM CT chassis variant, ECM has fallen greatly out of favor in the current game due to a couple of factors. Useful ECM requires a substantial Sensory skill tree investment that no one really wants to make anymore in light of much better options for skill points in the trees. People with decent skill simply use cover versus missiles, and/or take an AMS on the weekends for the event madness. A one ton laser AMS or 1.5 ton standard is a better bargain over investing 17 points or more into the Sensory tree.

The Missile CT is only good for 2 slots, so that's an ATM 6 or a medium sized LRM launcher or a Streak 6 or an A+SRM 6. It's useful for certain builds, but not a deal breaker really. As for the Hero not feeling very special in comparison to the other mechs... Well, the Blood Asp is an Omnimech so it's hard to make it feel special when all the pods can be swapped around. The Missile side torsos ARE unique to it, so if you really want high mounted missiles for ATMs especially, it's the way to go.

I think people sometimes make a mistake in buying the hero in some cases for certain mechpacks. This might be the case for this one. Going with the Collector's version of the pack costs 20 USD instead of 15, but you get an (S) version of the Prime which in this case might be better than the Hero for what you want, and the extra cockpit items and 30 days of additional Premium time is a total bargain for paying the 5 bucks more if you're dead set on getting a 30% Cbill boost variant.

So in other words the only things that is remotely useful in getting the Rancor is to be able to use the side torsos on other builds? If this is correct then I am a little disappointed lol. O well. I guess hero doesn't necessarily mean badass mech. I guess the heros are more for canon and nostalgia?

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

View PostLead Storm Hero, on 17 May 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

So in other words the only things that is remotely useful in getting the Rancor is to be able to use the side torsos on other builds? If this is correct then I am a little disappointed lol. O well. I guess hero doesn't necessarily mean badass mech. I guess the heros are more for canon and nostalgia?

Try boating ATMs on it. Lots of ATMs. It also has that +5% ERLL range quirk so you can do 6xCERLL in FP.
925 meter CERLL range with TCMK1 is pretty good.

Edited by El Bandito, 17 May 2018 - 09:44 AM.

#5 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

Hero mechs also give you a 30% c-bill bonus, which is not exactly useless Posted Image .

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#6 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:39 AM

I guess the heros are more for canon and nostalgia?

Pretty much, depends on the Mech really, but for the most part they get a paint scheme. Sometimes a special feature, like the MASC on the Kodiak Spirit Bear. Even with the MASC the KDK-3 tends to be a much more popular chassis.

#7 Lead Storm Hero

• Pip
  • The Fang
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 May 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

Try boating ATMs on it. Lots of ATMs. It also has that +5% ERLL range quirk so you can do 6xCERLL in FP. 925 meter CERLL range with TCMK1 is pretty good.

Never thought of that! Then again not in the know about FP but still I thought it would over heat? Would you just talent it out for max cooling and laser alphas?

#8 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:47 PM

Really, i thought OP was just talking about a really angry fish...?

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

View PostLead Storm Hero, on 17 May 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

Never thought of that! Then again not in the know about FP but still I thought it would over heat? Would you just talent it out for max cooling and laser alphas?

You fire the CERLLs 3x3 when trading. Yes, you will suffer some GH penalty but it is very doable, and you will also minimize your exposure when trading. Long range duel is all about who has the biggest alpha at longest range, and 6xCERLL is king of the hill in that regard. If you are not being targetted, you can take it easy and fire it 2x2x2, without paying for GH.

#10 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:45 AM

View PostStridercal, on 17 May 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

Really, i thought OP was just talking about a really angry fish...?

great, this is now what I have to name my Piranhas!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users