Talk To Me About Marauder Iic's, Please.

19 replies to this topic

#1 Random Wanderer

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

If I were to buy one of these, with the intent to play in close-to-mid-range brawl type battles, which one would you all suggest? Oh, and I can't at the moment afford to put down money on a hero mech, so Scorch is out of the question.

I'm thinking the IIC-C: the distribution of hardpoints looks like it would allow for the most flexibility. But what do you folks think?

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:49 PM

I'd say get the one with ECM, as it's pretty much the only way you'll be able to get in range to brawl without taking too much damage to brawl. (unless the enemy ignores you)

#3 Random Wanderer

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:45 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 18 May 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

I'd say get the one with ECM, as it's pretty much the only way you'll be able to get in range to brawl without taking too much damage to brawl. (unless the enemy ignores you)

The IIC-D just doesn't have enough hardpoints, and the ones it has aren't well placed. I can't imagine it being very effective in combat.

#4 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:51 PM

All the others are fairly ineffective against even a determined medium. (at least in my experience)

#5 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:53 PM

If you want a brawler, and it has to be a Marauder IIC, then the Scorch is really the only variant worth considering. The rest of the lineup is better suited for mid-long range fighting.

The Mad Cat MkII MCII-2 variant, however, can replicate the Scorch's 2xLB20X+4xSRM6A gutpunch loadout, and is available for cbills. If you're looking for a F2P-friendly Clan assault brawler, that makes a very credible substitute (the stronger armor somewhat compensates for the weaker hitboxes), and even runs a tiny bit cooler because it has a little more tonnage to work with.

#6 The 4th Amigo

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:51 AM

A II-CD is good if you want to poke from long range with Gauss, PPC or ER Large. I've seen some with gauss, er and ATM 6 builds. They do OK as a sniper but don't let anything get close. They are also slow.

#7 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:49 PM

My Mad IIC-B has a winning streak in Solaris.

2X UAC 5s, UAC 10, 4X ER Med Lasers, just enough fire power to give most a bad day.

#8 Random Wanderer

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

After some consideration, I decided to go with the plain IIC: the pure-energy variant. Put a standard 400 engine in it, and loaded it up with 8 heavy medium lasers. Those things pack a nice punch, and the 400 engine keeps me from feeling like I'm too slow to get any shots in.

Also bought a Madcat MkII and built it as recommended above, except using an XL360 engine, because I didn't have a 350 available. Works pretty well, although ammo is clearly going to be the limiting factor here.

Edited by Random Wanderer, 19 May 2018 - 09:55 PM.

#9 DFM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 261 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:56 PM

oof, if you have crit space left change that standard 400 to a xl, and fill the gaps with heatsinks.

#10 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:49 AM

View PostDFM, on 19 May 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

oof, if you have crit space left change that standard 400 to a xl, and fill the gaps with heatsinks.

Considering he's only using 8t of energy weapons, I doubt he needs the tonnage.

#11 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

Like... this, I'd imagine? Careful never to alpha.

#12 Random Wanderer

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

View PostDFM, on 19 May 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

View PostBTGbullseye, on 20 May 2018 - 03:49 AM, said:

Considering he's only using 8t of energy weapons, I doubt he needs the tonnage.

Hmm, no I take it back. I was confusing it with another mech I'd built recently. I am using an XL for the MAD IIC.

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 20 May 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

Like... this, I'd imagine? Careful never to alpha.

Pretty much exactly like that, although for some reason the armor totals don't match. Has the mechlab fallen out of date?

Anyway, yes, I don't alpha with this. I have it set up in two groups of four: the group on the arms, and the group on the torsos.

Edited by Random Wanderer, 20 May 2018 - 04:23 PM.

#13 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

Believe it or not, I like the MAD-IIC better than the other variants...call me crazy. The vanilla one with 3 ER PPCs, two MPL, and 4 ERSL. I put in an XL380, gave it ferrofibrous armor and endosteel chassis, stuffed in as many heat sinks as I could, and had room for a TC1. You can get off one alpha strike before shutting down if you have all the heat skills, but you’ve got good dissipation and cool down fast. I use the lasers in close and sparingly.

#14 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

I don't often PPC. But when I do, I Dead Side.

But that's definitely not a close range mech. You could just go all speed an close quarters. MAD-IIC-B Or try out some Uac goodness. MAD-IIC-A Really, it's upto preference.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 20 May 2018 - 05:42 PM.

#15 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:48 PM

View PostRandom Wanderer, on 20 May 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Pretty much exactly like that, although for some reason the armor totals don't match. Has the mechlab fallen out of date?

Quirks/skill nodes are not applied in Smurfy's.

View PostRandom Wanderer, on 20 May 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Anyway, yes, I don't alpha with this. I have it set up in two groups of four: the group on the arms, and the group on the torsos.

Smart grouping. If you have the mouse buttons, I'd also suggest putting each side (left and right, CT on both groups) on their own... Makes it easier to side peak when you only have to expose half your mech. (save on heat with it, as well as limiting the areas of your mech the enemy can shoot at)

Edited by BTGbullseye, 20 May 2018 - 10:49 PM.

#16 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:49 AM

Aside from the Scorch the standard MAD-IIC is probably the best variant for a brawl, since the -D has that low engine cap.
I would never go heavy lasers for a brawl, though. (except for maybe heavy smalls)
Take an XL400, slab on 9 medium pulses, add 16 DHS and roll!

If you don't mind investing in cool shots you can sometimes melt someones mech in 10 to 15 seconds, before they realize what's happening. (I do the same thing with an EBJ.)

Edited by Brethren, 22 May 2018 - 06:55 AM.

#17 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:45 AM

View PostRandom Wanderer, on 18 May 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

The IIC-D just doesn't have enough hardpoints, and the ones it has aren't well placed. I can't imagine it being very effective in combat.

You are 100% right.

It is only good at Dual Gauss / 2ERL to be honest. No idea why people are saying to brawl with it?

Anyway a solid few builds for you:

IIC - 9MPL

I
IC - HLL/ERML - 78pt alpha (slower/cooler)
IIC - HLL/ERML - V2 (faster/hotter/slight range increase)
IIC - HLL/MPL - 78pt also

IIC-B - Brawler - Yeah it undertonned a little, meh

IIC-A - Dakka/Laser

Plenty of good options around you just gotta work to the strengths of the mech. Of course there are mechs that do some this better, but its good enough.

#18 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:12 AM

ASH, do you have messages turned off?

#19 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:47 PM

If you arent getting the scorch grab either the c version dual uac10s and 5 med pulse, or the triple uac 5 version with 4 med pulse. The reg version is great for laser vomit too, 2 heavy large and 6 er meds. You can get close to 30 dhs with that one.

Edited by Lemming of the BDA, 24 May 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#20 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

ppcs are only worth it on some warhawk variants that got quirks for them

they run way 2 hot for the damage they produce

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users