How Do You Die And Have Never Called A Target?

30 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:15 PM

title kinda says it all... Please tell me why this happens. (I've seen top 100 players do this so it obviously has nothing to do with skill, so my Q is why?)

#2 Chortles

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:57 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 23 June 2018 - 08:15 PM, said:

title kinda says it all... Please tell me why this happens. (I've seen top 100 players do this so it obviously has nothing to do with skill, so my Q is why?)

Group queue or Solo queue?

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:07 PM

Head shot? Inappropriate surprise butt touching? Badness?

#4 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:32 PM

View PostChortles, on 23 June 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

Group queue or Solo queue?

Solo, I'd really hope a group would call a target Posted Image

No my point is i can't count how often i see a mech die with out a locked targets for even a blip,

Why not use the command wheel "target spotted" (macro this one or set up their keys so they can basically lock then call with a simple Key stroke) It holds the mech on the mini map for 2-3 secs which is nice)

Heck even if you just get pounded up close, pop a UAV and call the target you got the most damage on.

A light mech scrolling through targets slowly can let slow *** assaults lock up targets so we can track the group.. Light mech hides and just slowly keeps hitting R, while everyone 2k away just hits Target locked as you lumber forward..

I am not calling out top players on this, they rock, and are just dropping in a pug.. But it really would help out if people even did the simplest things to get folks on the same page. Maybe i am asking to much from pugs and really need to get into a group. But what about all those newbs that are just trying to learn?

Still i am totally baffled about t2-1 folks not at least using the targeted spotted command.

thoughts?

#5 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:36 PM

View PostBombast, on 23 June 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

Head shot? Inappropriate surprise butt touching? Badness?

Well anyone that has ever played a commando has probably at least once walked around the wrong corrner and got popped. It happened to me on HPG, total pop!

I know this one time on Frozen i actually popped a locust in one shot with my Dual ERPPC nova. he happened to pause on the hill looking towards the dropship from the e& side.. i was 1500m out easy just rounding the hill near that tall building and he exposed his back. was the one and only time i've ever popped a undamaged light and at +1500 range... I actually felt bad... Posted Image (yes for me that was like rolling a .001% RNG)

But you know the point of the thread is about any battle that trades for more than a few secs. Maybe in Comp you can't even lock that quick, but i'm talking PUG land

Edited by JC Daxion, 23 June 2018 - 10:38 PM.

#6 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:16 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 23 June 2018 - 10:32 PM, said:

No my point is i can't count how often i see a mech die with out a locked targets for even a blip,

Most ppl in QP - Id say roughly 85 + % - dont know how to use command wheel, have no mic and dont know how to R a target and usually just die alone even or especially in huge assault mechs somewhere way back behind frontline. They dont call for help, they dont even lock targets....ever and just die silently. :(

It makes me sad too yes it does I mourne for these brave soldiers that died out there.

#7 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:28 AM

^ Most people don't know about it, and many will not use comms even if they have it enabled. I personally blame millennials and their "post vocal communication" society. People nowadays prefer to not have to interact with one another, even in a team game. It's utterly baffling.

#8 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:36 AM

Still i am totally baffled about t2-1 folks not at least using the targeted spotted command.

thoughts?

Time spent dicking with the command wheel is time not spent aiming at the target, or getting back to cover after having shot at the target.

#9 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:47 AM

Further thoughts:
  • ECM backstabbers. You often can't target or lock those.
  • Not everyone fields UAVs. Many prefer strikes for the extra damage.
  • LRM assault way behind the team don't want to be called the potato he is so he keeps silent. Posted Image

Edited by Daggett, 24 June 2018 - 05:48 AM.

#10 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:55 AM

Solo, I'd really hope a group would call a target Posted Image

Why not use the command wheel "target spotted" (macro this one or set up their keys so they can basically lock then call with a simple Key stroke) It holds the mech on the mini map for 2-3 secs which is nice)

Heck even if you just get pounded up close, pop a UAV and call the target you got the most damage on.

A light mech scrolling through targets slowly can let slow *** assaults lock up targets so we can track the group.. Light mech hides and just slowly keeps hitting R, while everyone 2k away just hits Target locked as you lumber forward..

I am not calling out top players on this, they rock, and are just dropping in a pug.. But it really would help out if people even did the simplest things to get folks on the same page. Maybe i am asking to much from pugs and really need to get into a group. But what about all those newbs that are just trying to learn?

thoughts?

It happens in a lot solo because people want the kill and damage for themselves.

#11 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:29 AM

Ah, you mean, we're allowed to talk in a match? I thought that was against the rules.....like in Golf; "quiet on the tee" rules.

Or, like in the military where only commanders are on the command frequency...and if you want to giggle and chat, use the platoon push and hope no one in command is listening....

Many forget what the "targeting button is" let alone searching some silly pop-up graphic that is in the way of the gun sight that you are trying to use just to stay alive....

Anyway, most are on TS/DC talking with their friends in other matches !!!

#12 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:12 AM

That silly pop up alerts the whole team of the position of an enemy even if they move off radar. It can also quickly alert your team to imminent danger, such as sneaky flanking heavy gauss annihilators (it happens!). Obviously if using it right this instant will kill you, you ought to wait (and just shout on comms "Aaah! Heavy Gauss Annihilator!").

#13 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:50 PM

View PostKanil, on 24 June 2018 - 05:36 AM, said:

Time spent dicking with the command wheel is time not spent aiming at the target, or getting back to cover after having shot at the target.

Try remaping your keys, it takes all of 2 keystrokes, basically less than a second. After firing while twisting is the perfect time to do it. You can also lock for someone else while in cover. You can easily reverse and twist while doing it as well.

#14 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:52 PM

Just FYI, there's a cooldown to the "target spotted" command. If someone called a target using said command and you get stomped, you might not be able to spot said target in time.

As for "proper" communication: Doesn't make a speck of difference nine times out of ten, so why even bother?

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:20 PM

its simple: ego > ability.

'durr i can handle this guy on my own durr. not locking because i dont want any no skill lerm boats stealin my glory durr. im gonna carry these potatoes durr. durr zomg why am i dead? hax! durr where was my team? hurr stupid team durr.'

Edited by LordNothing, 24 June 2018 - 10:24 PM.

#16 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:44 PM

Dying in qp is a lot like drowing.

It's silent, the guy next to you could be doing it abd you wouldn't know and it's a lot less energetic than you think it is.

#17 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:05 AM

Well, from my experience....

I often already have killed a guy and cut two others in half doing about 500-700 before the next team mate that isnt a light has even the slightest idea where the enemys is. Most of the time 4 people from my team, often in the slowest mechs wander off to places where nobody else ever dare to go and then wonder why everybody else is dead.

No ammount of pressing R and using the command wheel ever helps. I often have the impression, that the people who cry the most about others not usingthe r key are the ones that are simply overwhelmed with the minimap, chat and what not and actually somehow blank out all of the target calls, markers on the minimap, chat and voip.

I wouldnt wonder if those who always cry for voip comms often have them disabled at the same time.

Edited by Cara Carcass, 25 June 2018 - 01:11 AM.

#18 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:00 AM

ITT: Bitter players who refuse to communicate or use the tools provided to them by the game to help their team, but who nevertheless refer to their team mates as potatoes and are permanently stuck in T1 "Elo hell".

#19 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:35 AM

View PostKanil, on 24 June 2018 - 05:36 AM, said:

Hit 'R', Call target Designation and grid in comms to the team, Start firing. (this can all be down relatively simultaneously)

The command wheel is something I haven't used and probably won't ever use much if at all. It's a needless complication of the basic maneuver of "saying words while engaging". More keystrokes visual clutter etc...

#20 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:40 AM

Back in my youngen dayz when the sky was bluer, Cutie McBooties were running rampant, and I had the ambition of Bill Gates to make Steve Jobless, I would try and communicate with my teammates about where to shoot and what target. I would often find dead silence on the other side. So I stopped talking for the most part because I don't like feeling like I belong in an insane asylum for talking to myself.
Other than that, I still use text to say really random things for entertainment.

Hugs not drugs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users