41 replies to this topic

#1 Agent of Change

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:47 AM

Pro Tip: During the match Ready screen/Loading screen, Hit PTT and say "Hello" (or respond to the first person who does). If you can't talk then just respond in the chat.

No really I'm serious, I've notice a pretty direct coorelation between dead silence in the Ready screen (or Hello's meant with stony silence) and losing matches often badly. It's not 1 to 1 but it's a weird effect that I'm sure i'm not the only one to experience.

A Friendly round of greetings seem to break the ice in bit SP and GP queues. The is more useful in SP because teh GP are all made up of people almost certainly on their own comms (and less likely to respond) but it can still help gel the team. Once you've greeted each other and acknowledged everyone else on tyour team as a human being teamwork tends to follow a little easier.

I have rarely ever been in a match where trolling the comms or harrassing teammates for being 'potatoes" has resulted in overwhelming victory but I have seen communication follow from the simple start of saying 'HI' carry matches to both narrow wins in unlikely comebacks resulting from coordination you don't normally see in SP to straight ROFL Stomps from a team that cts like an impromptu 12 man.

I'm curious if other notice this, but the gist I've taken from experience is that it's easier to treat teammates like humans and work together if you establish a friendly baseline early in the match. Any one else seen this in action?

Edited by Agent of Change, 25 June 2018 - 08:53 AM.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:56 AM

Pro Tip:

If you have a voice like a muppet, tell someone on your team (who doesn’t sound like a muppet) the plan and then have them relay it over comms so that more of the pugs might actually listen.

#3 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 25 June 2018 - 06:56 AM, said:

Pro Tip:

If you have a voice like a muppet, tell someone on your team (who doesn’t sound like a muppet) the plan and then have them relay it over comms so that more of the pugs might actually listen.

You've run into the guy that tries to give the team direction in Kermit the Frog's voice too?

#4 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:04 AM

View PostHaipyng, on 25 June 2018 - 06:59 AM, said:

You've run into the guy that tries to give the team direction in Kermit the Frog's voice too?
. Or the Swedish Chef, I have strange friends.

#5 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:06 AM

Pro Tip:

View PostCloves, on 25 June 2018 - 07:04 AM, said:

See the Muppet voice thing is one of those things I like to call "unhelpful" tantamount to trolling the voice comms. It may be funny but only until people mute you and you are just talking to yourself.

#6 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

I'd listen to a muppet.

#7 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:16 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 25 June 2018 - 07:06 AM, said:

See the Muppet voice thing is one of those things I like to call "unhelpful" tantamount to trolling the voice comms. It may be funny but only until people mute you and you are just talking to yourself.

Let me clarify: I sound just like Burt (ala Burt and Ernie). I am convinced that my voice, more than anything is why folks rarely heed my calls. I have, through much time and effort, proven that if I use a proxy in the form of someone who does not sound like a muppet that my calls get listened to and we win more often when calls are listened to. But If I make the call, in my normal speaking voice, no matter how reasonable or well thought out the call, few people will listen. If there are people doing muppet voices in order to be cute or annoying I agree they should be shot. I know all too well that they will certainly be ignored.

In short, if you sound like a muppet let someone else do the calls or call on your behalf (via TS or Discord then in game comms).

Edited by Bud Crue, 25 June 2018 - 07:17 AM.

#8 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

View PostElizander, on 25 June 2018 - 07:13 AM, said:

I'd listen to a muppet.
. He does not drop much anymore. However, I wish I could hire Haven Kendrick to call all my matches.(not that he sounds like a muppet)

#9 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:22 AM

I like a bit of fun as much as anyone, but more than 10 seconds of being "funny" with voices on comms, usually gets you muted. The people playing music, or using those voice changing headsets with the super annoying high pitched voice usually get instantly muted.

View PostBud Crue, on 25 June 2018 - 07:16 AM, said:

Let me clarify: I sound just like Burt (ala Burt and Ernie). I am convinced that my voice, more than anything is why folks rarely heed my calls. I have, through much time and effort, proven that if I use a proxy in the form of someone who does not sound like a muppet that my calls get listened to and we win more often when calls are listened to. But If I make the call, in my normal speaking voice, no matter how reasonable or well thought out the call, few people will listen. If there are people doing muppet voices in order to be cute or annoying I agree they should be shot. I know all too well that they will certainly be ignored.

In short, if you sound like a muppet let someone else do the calls or call on your behalf (via TS or Discord then in game comms).

You are a victim of too many budding comedians on comms in games everywhere,

Edited by Haipyng, 25 June 2018 - 07:34 AM.

#10 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:27 AM

Yeah, I don't care how funny you think you are, half the team will mute you if you use comms for idiocy.

That being said, TURN ON YOUR VOIP. It's annoying to watch idiot teammates die because they refuse to listen. I will call out and warn you if a Piranha is stalking your butt or that three Annis are waiting around the corner, but it won't help if you turn off voip.

#11 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:33 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 25 June 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

Yeah, I don't care how funny you think you are, half the team will mute you if you use comms for idiocy.

That being said, TURN ON YOUR VOIP. It's annoying to watch idiot teammates die because they refuse to listen. I will call out and warn you if a Piranha is stalking your butt or that three Annis are waiting around the corner, but it won't help if you turn off voip.

Yeah it's funny, if people can't pass the very low bar of being responsive/polite when talking in VOIP they should at least be prepared to listen. The idea that VOIP in a team game like this is unnecessary baffles me.

#12 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

Pro-Tip - 9 out of 10 people making calls or providing intel in solo QP VOIP chat are absolutely wrong. If you cannot personally verify the information yourself, or know the caller as someone knowledgeable and trustworthy, your best bet is to ignore it.

Edited by Bombast, 25 June 2018 - 08:39 AM.

#13 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

View PostBombast, on 25 June 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Pro-Tip - 9 out of 10 people making calls or providing intel in solo QP VOIP chat are absolutely wrong. If you cannot personally verify the information yourself, or know the caller as someone knowledgeable and trustworthy, your best bet is to ignore it.

You might as well mute comms at that point. The problem is that if you don't at least work with your team and voice being a key component of coordination then you are actively handicapping your team. IF you think you are teh kind of player that can hard carry but don't say anything to or respond to a communicating team... you have no excuse to be mad when you get left behind, killed, or lose the game.

It's just my observation but when a player dies because he doesn't listen to the team or ignores them then it's more often than not on that player and not the team.

Way too often are the first comms I hear from a player in QP is bitching about how bad the team was... when they refused to participate in coordination or strategy.

Edited by Agent of Change, 25 June 2018 - 08:44 AM.

#14 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 25 June 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

The feels when you are giving life-saving intel, the team mate dies, and then you realize your mic was unplugged...

#15 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 25 June 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

You might as well mute comms at that point. The problem is that if you don't at least work with your team and voice being a key component of coordination then you are actively handicapping your team. IF you think you are teh kind of player that can hard carry but don't say anything to or respond to a communicating team... you have no excuse to be mad when you get left behind, killed, or lose the game.

I leave VOIP on so I know what kind of catastrophic and dumb mistakes everyone else is making, which informs me what kind of damage control or death avoidance I have to perform.

Seriously, almost everything in VOIP is garbage and lies, and actually listening to it is more likely to kill you or throw the match than lead to victory. All ingame pug VOIP, in all video games, is suspect at best, but MWO's is special in how consistently bad and wrong it is.

#16 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:21 AM

I usually greet my team mates to see who responds. It's definitely a good way to determine if you are playing the match in team play or 1v12 mode.

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:37 AM

Pro Tip:

View PostCloves, on 25 June 2018 - 07:04 AM, said:

Psst! Don't be fooled. Posted Image

#18 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:54 AM

View PostBombast, on 25 June 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

I leave VOIP on so I know what kind of catastrophic and dumb mistakes everyone else is making, which informs me what kind of damage control or death avoidance I have to perform.

Seriously, almost everything in VOIP is garbage and lies, and actually listening to it is more likely to kill you or throw the match than lead to victory. All ingame pug VOIP, in all video games, is suspect at best, but MWO's is special in how consistently bad and wrong it is.

It generally seems, though, that a poor plan followed by everyone is better than having no plan at all. There are special exceptions for terminally dumb strategies, of course, like hiding in the basement of HPG. But anything to try and help counteract the natural instinct to Nascar, drop into lowlands, or spread damage across every target in the world is at least something.

#19 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:00 AM

View PostBombast, on 25 June 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Posted Image

View PostVerilligo, on 25 June 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

It generally seems, though, that a poor plan followed by everyone is better than having no plan at all.

Gonna disagree on that. Coordinated suicide is the quickest way to lose a match.

#20 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:05 AM

View PostMystere, on 25 June 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

You mean that wasn't Kermit leading our team to victory? Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users