Solaris City - A Limiting Factor

12 replies to this topic

#1 Zouron

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:07 AM

My first impression of Solaris City was rather neutral however I did see a few things I really did like. As I played it more and more I found though I do not feel this is a map that is good for MWO, not because it is limited my personal playstyle, but that it is generally limiting a large portion of the game in favour of a relatively minor. Let me explain briefly:

The map focuses on a large scale brawl in and around the center square, a brawl that primarily focuses on quick bursts of damage through narrow gaps at a relatively short range with special sniping spots for mechs with good jump jets.

The narrow gaps are a huge problem this these are the primary venue for the combat, in that they are incredibly easy to get away from, this limits a range of weapons. Namely weapon with a burn duration, ensuring the map puts pulse lasers head and shoulder of the regular lasers, especially clan lasers. In many builds, these weapons will almost never get but 10-20% out of their damage potential simply because you can relatively easy move out of the line of fire (the big exception are jump-jet heavy builds that can get into the higher platforms/rooftops and snipe down).

Narrow gaps also pose a problem to the second type of weaponry namely missiles, note that I did not say LRM, but missiles. The reason is that missiles tend to be "slow" and have a "wide projectile profile". Slow is an issue because the many gabs youa re firing through are relatively narrow meaning that you cannot in most places give a lead to hit a high mobility mech making them all but immune to missiles, this is even worse for guided missiles (streaks, ATM and LRM) in that they will quite often ram into buildings and structures half way there regardless if the enemy is in cover because of their somewhat quirky flight part or that the enemy is half way in cover (and the missile ram into the cover rather than their target center).

The second problem is that the MAJORITY of the fights are going to be short range (or even close quarters), that means that long-range weapons are going to be at a severe disadvantage by being unable to capitalize on their trade-offs to employ thair strength namely range this means that ER lasers, PPCs (except snub nose), AC 2, UAC 2, LRM and Light Gauss (and maybe some others I forgot) are going to be at a severe disadvantage since a huge point for them is being at a distance. They are not useless just at a disadvantage.

Speaking of short range, since it is short so short that it is not unheard of at all to be exceptionally close and very easy (and dangerous if you read the situation wrong) to close distance, means that the disadvantage of minimum range weapons are brought to the front, here I am thinking about Light PPC, PPC, Heavy PPC, (inner sphere) LRM and ATM. Note: Clan LRM has a slight advantage here in only doing less damage at close ranges. Back to the topic, the fact that these weapons have a minimum range means they will have a far greater than normal chance of ending up in a situation where a primary (and sometimes only) armament is rendered completely ineffective.

Finally, the issue surrounding jump jets. I most certainly believe jump jet should give an advantage in terms of mobility and flexibility, but it seems to be excessive in this map in that there seem to be several rooftops you can as a light mech jump to and you can stand in a position where no other mechs than another jump jet heavy light can reach, see or engage I believe this is somewhat problematic that the map has such perfect hiding spot. The reason is not that it hard to effectively engage them with a big heavy assaults, but that it can become impossible to reach the final hiding mech at the end of a match, rendering any effort, skill and dedication from either side moot.

All of this leads to a conclusion for me that believe this map needs a redesign, I do not think it is good for the game as a whole that there are maps that render a large amount of the weaponry in the game suboptimal or nearly useless.

If you have reached this point I apologize for the lengthy post, any spelling and language issues and I hope you are willing to see the points I am making even if you disagree with them. Thank you.

* I have a few other issues with the map, but they are not relevant for this discussion.

#2 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

I for a change welcome a not long range map and differance in playstyle. Only problem I can agree with is that there shouldn't be spots where someone can hide if the match is lost just to annoy people.

#3 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:26 AM

Battle always happening in the center of the map in a little space... everyone tend to go for that.

#4 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 25 May 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

Battle always happening in the center of the map in a little space... everyone tend to go for that.

Their funeral...

#5 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

I called a game the other day and had folks go around the usual brawl triangle and flank. I disco'd and we still won. The enemy team was in such disarray they left my AFK Omnimech alone.
My point is be smart use a different tactic your enemy hates it.

#6 Saint Dane Icaza

• Pip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

>Especially clan lasers

You do realize IS pulse lasers have much *shorter* durations and recycle times than Clan pulse lasers, yes?

#7 Zouron

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:09 PM

View PostSaint Dane Icaza, on 28 May 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

>Especially clan lasers

You do realize IS pulse lasers have much *shorter* durations and recycle times than Clan pulse lasers, yes?

That I do, which is why I concluded that they (clan) are even more challenged by the Solaris City than IS Mechs are.

#8 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:52 AM

Nothing like a LPL and two ERMLs mixed with some UAC-5 or LBX-2 in the morning.

#9 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

The map is hell for king crabs and other wide mechs.

Map needs some playtesting

#10 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

View PostGwahlur, on 29 May 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

The map is hell for king crabs and other wide mechs.

Map needs some playtesting

I've seen plenty of KGC make a killing on this map... They just know not to run through the narrowest passages they can find.

#11 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 29 May 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

I've seen plenty of KGC make a killing on this map... They just know not to run through the narrowest passages they can find.

Just like in the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is King. The team that flanks around town center to force the enemy's hand is usually the winner.

#12 Saint Dane Icaza

• Pip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

View PostZouron, on 28 May 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

That I do, which is why I concluded that they (clan) are even more challenged by the Solaris City than IS Mechs are.

I see, my mistake then. The sentence could be taken either way IMO.

#13 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:08 PM

View PostSaint Dane Icaza, on 29 May 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

I see, my mistake then. The sentence could be taken either way IMO.

I love a challenge baby! LOL!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users