Best Light Hunter

13 replies to this topic

#1 LoneUnknown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

Back in the day I remember SSRM mediums chasing down light mechs. I want to add something that does a similar job in the current meta into my drop deck.

Any weight class, inner sphere preferred.

#2 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:53 PM

Instead of SSRMs, check out Crabs. Load them up with 5 - 6 MPLs, a reasonable number of DHS and the biggest XL engine you can fit, maybe add an AMS.

The Crab's hit boxes make them XL friendly, and you will end up with a smallish mech running ~100 kph. With decent aim, you will eat light mech legs for crabfast. And unlike with SSRMS, you will not be totally useless against heavies and assaults.

#3 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:05 PM

If you want an IS medium, the Assassin might fit the bill, the ASN-21 has four missile hardpoints if you want to load up on streaks. If you want something a bit sturdier, you can get the Bushwacker moving pretty quickly if you put a big engine in it and some variants can carry a lot of missiles.

For light IS light mechs, the Javelin or Osiris have variants with at least three missile hardpoints.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#4 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:06 PM

Assassins are fast and a pain to kill.

Crabs are a excellent addition to any drop deck, Bushwackers like wise are my first choice for both Invasion and Scouting. The BSW-P1 can be fitted with a large engine and a number of SRMs.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:27 AM

Don't XL crabs... They lose their best property belly being XL, the ability to spread damage.

ASN23 still have big armour/structure quirks and can run 120km/h. Not enough to chase a proper light though, so it does depend on what light you intend to hunt... Given lights run lights best, you just have to be the better player.

The WLF2 is also solid with 6MPL or 5 MPL if you find it's a bit hot/slow for your liking.

#6 Old dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:38 AM

Streaks are liability against anything of similar size or bigger and only really work well against (unaware) lights.

I suggest something fast with short or medium pulse lasers, something like an Ice Ferret - perhaps a Cicada 2B...

Edited by Old dirty B, 28 May 2018 - 12:39 AM.

#7 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:53 AM

CSSRM work fine. One volly of at least 4 CSSRM6 is enough to make a light in most cases

IS streaks though are anemic, too high tonnage, poor range and heat. It's made up with a slight cool down advantage but overall it's worth it's negpigeble.

#8 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:40 AM

I have had good luck with a huntsman outfitted with ssrm6's...

#9 LoneUnknown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:59 AM

Good replys and some good technical tidbits so far, thanks.

For clarification, I don't NEED a streak srm build, but something that can be used to quickly dispatch flanking lights like the old SSRM mechs from beta.

I've mostly been playing a MPL Grinner with a great deal of success, but it runs too hot to engage other lights. Works better poking and giving ecm cover on the frontline. Several of you suggested the Assassin, but that thing dies FAST. Not sure where the "hard to kill" reputation is coming from on that one.

Just bought a Crab on sale, will try that out when I can afford the engine.

#10 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:41 PM

If you're wanting an IS Medium to fill a Streakcrow role (using SSRMs), I'm afraid you might be disappointed. The great thing about the Streakcrow (IMHO) is how large of an alpha (or near-alpha) you can hit a light mech with as soon as you have a lock. Doesn't really matter if the 'Crow is relatively slow and the SSRM-6 cooldown is 6s. One salvo into a light mech and they're either crippled, dead, or running for their life. It kind of relies on RNG and whether they've taken damage yet or not, but 60 damage with a base range of 360m is no joke.

I was looking at the TBT-7M. 3xSSRM-6, and with quirks + skilltree cooldown, I think you can get to a 3s cooldown vs the 6s of the clans. You can add JJ, BAP and some energy hardpoints...but you still don't have the alpha of the 'Crow and you'd need to be able to fire several salvos to in order to somewhat approximate Streakcrow damage. Might be a good chance that a light can get away after salvo #1, and in that case you're only doing 36 damage versus 60 (IIRC). Plus it's a TBT, so...eh.

I honestly think pulse lasers and regular SRMs are better for legging lights as an IS player, but YMMV.

I think I've seen the occasional Catapult or Archer streak build, but I'm honestly not sure if they're worth it versus just using regular SRMs and going for legs.

You can run streaks on some lights ok, but I think you end up being more of a hound running down your prey as you relentlessly pumps streaks into them from relatively small launchers. AKA "Oh God, that Commando is still after me, someone help!" But you can also do that with just SRM launchers, too.

I do want to to try running the 6xSSRM-6 Cyclops 10-Q sometime. Not really a 'hunter' per se, but it does look like fun.

#11 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

I know you said IS only, but I felt I should mention that a Hunch IIC with dual cLBX20 is a great light hunter. (and medium, heavy, and assault hunter for that matter)

I know you're looking at a heavy at minimum to duplicate that for the IS, but maybe look into a dual LBX10 build on some IS mechs...

#12 Cervani

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:04 PM

I use my Bushwackers to hunt lights if they come too close. They can be pretty fast if you put a decent engine in it, and my current favorite (the -P2) is currently running with a 2x LBX10 and 4x ML. Every light who has come near me has gone running when smacked by those double LBXs, especially with the 4MLs tagging them after.

You can also make a Splatwacker. I've seen SRM6x6 builds, x4 builds and anything inbetween. The BSW-P1 is good for that. That's what the Bushwackers are made for, the sheer number of builds you can toss on them and their survivability and decent speed make them excellent mediums. They are a must have for IS pilots.

#13 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

View PostCervani, on 28 May 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

I use my Bushwackers to hunt lights if they come too close. They can be pretty fast if you put a decent engine in it, and my current favorite (the -P2) is currently running with a 2x LBX10 and 4x ML. Every light who has come near me has gone running when smacked by those double LBXs, especially with the 4MLs tagging them after.

You can also make a Splatwacker. I've seen SRM6x6 builds, x4 builds and anything inbetween. The BSW-P1 is good for that. That's what the Bushwackers are made for, the sheer number of builds you can toss on them and their survivability and decent speed make them excellent mediums. They are a must have for IS pilots.

I like to run my -P2 with two mpls instead of four mls, but I will try out your build.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#14 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:54 PM

i like the Panther 10P.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...3caf4e774879f8c
use either an AC10 (if you can aim at lights) or an LB10 with a RL10. With skilltree it hits 128KPH, and it has the greatest ballistic cooldown in game with 37% off any ballistic it can mount (i tried gauss once but you have to sacrifice too much speed) the AC10 or LB10 will fire once every 1.4 seconds (stock AC5 is 1.66)
Also has more armor than a Crab with 62 CT, 6 rear, and 47 ST. (with skilltree)

Was chasing down lights with this the other day, lots of fun

Edited by VitriolicViolet, 02 June 2018 - 03:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users