- - - - -

Ballistic Velocity

26 replies to this topic

#21 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:41 PM

There's a good reason the Gauss/ERML warhammer has been viable for years and years now.

If you can manage the charge time, you have so little exposure time that you basically win every trade without trying.

BTGBullseye, you're seriously missing out. Charge mechanic is worth it for basically point and click inside like 600 metres and a slight lead outside of that. They're really easy to use if you get past the charge mechanic. And the 15 pinpoint for no heat isn't that bad either

Edited by Keshav Murali, 30 May 2018 - 10:42 PM.

#22 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:42 PM

Gauss is pretty useless against a brawler with 4x UAC10... Just saying. It's also fairly useless against a good light sniper, or a LRM boat. Laser vomit generally takes them out, unless the vomitter is less than proficient. Clan Gauss is even worse. (even easier to crit out and lose your component)

Dual HGauss is boss though.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 30 May 2018 - 10:43 PM.

#23 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:50 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 30 May 2018 - 10:42 PM, said:

Gauss is pretty useless against a brawler with 4x UAC10... Just saying.

4xUAC10 is not a brawler.

And good luck trying to trade a lance of gausshammers with a 4xUAC10 anything. While you're furiously trying to avoid ghost heat firing 2x2, gausshammers pop out, deliver 4x40-50 pts of damage (and 4x30 of that to a single component), and remove a torso and get back into cover at 600 metres before your full UAC10 salvo finishes travelling.

It's also fairly useless against a good light sniper, or a LRM boat.

Light sniper? Good luck plinking and doing 2 DPS when a single lucky dual gauss hit can leg you or leave your juicy XL torsos cherry red. As for LRM boats, well, have fun trying to take down mechs that can go back into cover after firing in 1.5 seconds. You will neither be able to hold a lock nor will more than a half your missiles even hit, in the best case scenario (this is without NARC/UAV obv, but they don't exactly turn the tide THAT much)

Laser vomit generally takes them out, unless the vomitter is less than proficient. Clan Gauss is even worse. (even easier to crit out and lose your component) Dual HGauss is boss though.

Laser Vomit is pretty even against Gauss vomit right now, what are you talking about?

And Clan gauss, while more fragile, is also more slot and tonnage efficient, which means that the clan mech can carry more lasers/more heatsinks for better alpha and DPS.

Dual HGauss, you're right about that.

Edited by Keshav Murali, 30 May 2018 - 10:51 PM.

#24 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:21 PM

Gauss is pretty useless against a brawler with 4x UAC10... Just saying. It's also fairly useless against a good light sniper, or a LRM boat. Laser vomit generally takes them out, unless the vomitter is less than proficient. Clan Gauss is even worse. (even easier to crit out and lose your component)

Dual HGauss is boss though.

4 x UAC10? Given the ghost heat and the only mechs that can really equip are 100T Assualts... You're talking the most niche scenario possible.

In a Dual Gauss Heavy, or even Assault, you're never going to get close enough. Pin Dual Gauss 30 PPFLD... Again @ 700m, says it all.

You're just straight up wrong dude. I dunno how else to really put it.

#25 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:36 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 30 May 2018 - 11:21 PM, said:

4 x UAC10? Given the ghost heat and the only mechs that can really equip are 100T Assualts... You're talking the most niche scenario possible.

In a Dual Gauss Heavy, or even Assault, you're never going to get close enough. Pin Dual Gauss 30 PPFLD... Again @ 700m, says it all.

You're just straight up wrong dude. I dunno how else to really put it.

Considering I've never lost a trade to a dual gauss with UACs ever, (even when I'm using 2x10s) I guess I'm just the ultimate master of UACs, and the god of finding the worst Gauss players.

#26 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:22 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 31 May 2018 - 01:36 AM, said:

Considering I've never lost a trade to a dual gauss with UACs ever, (even when I'm using 2x10s) I guess I'm just the ultimate master of UACs, and the god of finding the worst Gauss players.

Sounds like it. My Gausshammer can win trades with anything in it's weight class, including Night Gyrs that run dakka builds. at close (less than 500 meters) ranges a MCII-B with UAC10's + 5's can trade even with me usually, it's two bursts of fire doing 60 damage that's a bit spread while I can do 50 damage in one salvo, but it's also 20 tons heavier.

edit - On topic though, ballistic velocity is incredibly important. My ANH-2A runs a TCOMP VIII just for the velocity boost it gives my AC2's.... they become incredibly easy to aim even at ranges of 1 KM at that point. If you're just brawling it doens't really matter, but at long ranges the velocity boosts granted to already fast weapons makes a big difference.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 31 May 2018 - 05:40 AM.

#27 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:20 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 31 May 2018 - 01:36 AM, said:

Definitely the worst cause God of, I doubt that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users