Allow 2 Man Teams Into Solo Quickplay

34 replies to this topic

Poll: Allow 2 Man Teams Into Solo Quickplay (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Should 2 man teams be allowed in solo quickplay?

1. Yes (48 votes [67.61%])

Percentage of vote: 67.61%

2. No (19 votes [26.76%])

Percentage of vote: 26.76%

3. Don't Care (4 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Aurien Titus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:39 PM

Like the title says 2 man teams should be allowed into quickplay. As it stand now, the game isn't very buddy friendly. If you wanted to introduce a friend to MWO and play with them, you really can't. You'll get stuck into the group que where it can take forever to find a game. I can't see two people dropping together breaking the balance of a 12v12 fight.

Edited by Aurien Titus, 31 May 2018 - 09:56 PM.

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

Honestly, I'd say as high as 3-man teams should be allowed outside the group queue. Just have them be able to drop into group or solo queue, whichever is ready sooner.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 01 June 2018 - 09:42 AM.

#3 MechanicalWraith

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:17 AM

I third the motion! In my opinion groups up to the size of a single lance shouldn't be forced to wait longer for the pleasure of facing a 12-man team (especially if members of said group are below Tier 1)

#4 Casey Nolan

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 3 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:10 AM

I support this idea BUT with weight limitations due to how the current MM works.
1 man team = No restriction
2 man team = 180 tonnes
3 man team = 240 tonnes

Personally I think this weight distribution is already too generous and should be lower.
Once we get the new MM with tonnage considerations instead of class, then removing all restrictions to weight for any size teams in quick play can be allowed.

Edited by Casey Nolan, 10 June 2018 - 02:11 AM.

#5 TheVikingArtist

• Pip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:02 PM

Please! I wanted to get my friend into the game and we dropped into the group queue and after several nights I had to leave him with "well, it's a lot more fun in the solo queue..."
This is someone who really wanted to join me in the game and was getting discouraged because we had to go up against way more hardcore teams right from the start just to be able to play together bringing a friend or two shouldn't be putting you up against 8-12 locks. I'm for the up to a full lance before you get moved to group queue.

#6 Il Gurzo ITA

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:34 AM

I think 3 people should play solo quick play. Instead 4 are a lance, so should go into the group quick play.
People wants to play for fun with friends, not competitive games where you and your friend lost 75% of the times.

Edited by Il Gurzo ITA, 21 June 2018 - 03:35 AM.

#7 SaltiestRaccoon

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:41 PM

All my yes. My friend and I have just trying to get some fun games in, and will be routinely matched alongside a bunch of tiny groups all talking on their own discords or whatever, facing ten or twelve player premades. It's pretty much the opposite of fun. Pretty much every match is a steamroll one way or the other depending on the side that has a larger premade and it takes FOREVER to find matches.

#8 Aurien Titus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:13 AM

View PostTheVikingArtist, on 11 June 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

Please! I wanted to get my friend into the game and we dropped into the group queue and after several nights I had to leave him with "well, it's a lot more fun in the solo queue..."
This is someone who really wanted to join me in the game and was getting discouraged because we had to go up against way more hardcore teams right from the start just to be able to play together bringing a friend or two shouldn't be putting you up against 8-12 locks. I'm for the up to a full lance before you get moved to group queue.

This right here.

If Piranha Games wants this game to continue and keep players in the game, then it needs to be easier for word of mouth "come play with me" to actually be viable.

View PostCasey Nolan, on 10 June 2018 - 02:10 AM, said:

I support this idea BUT with weight limitations due to how the current MM works.
2 man team = 180 tonnes
3 man team = 240 tonnes

Personally I think this weight distribution is already too generous and should be lower.
Once we get the new MM with tonnage considerations instead of class, then removing all restrictions to weight for any size teams in quick play can be allowed.

You'll find no objection here. Reasonable limitations are reasonable.

#9 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:34 AM

My concern here is that it might increase matchmaking times by making it harder to work together the current rigidly enforced symmetrical weight class balancing. Sounds great on paper but really in my experience 2-man groups in group queue isn't so bad — even for introducing new players — and I'd rather keep the weight class enforcement in solo queue matchmaking in effect without increasing wait times by accommodating 2-man teams.

If this concern ends up not being a problem, then the idea has my endorsement.

Edited by Mister Maf, 13 July 2018 - 03:37 AM.

#10 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostAurien Titus, on 31 May 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

You'll get stuck into the group que where it can take forever to find a game.

When I'm in a 2 man team, it doesn't tend to take me long to find a match... I hear this complaint a lot though that finding a match when grouped up with X people takes a long time. Don't know about that, but I haven't exactly seen this pattern.

I'm more concerned with a two man team dropping against more communicative/organized larger groups of players, especially when mentioning "new" and "player" together in the same string of words...

#11 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:08 AM

View PostTesunie, on 13 July 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

When I'm in a 2 man team, it doesn't tend to take me long to find a match... I hear this complaint a lot though that finding a match when grouped up with X people takes a long time. Don't know about that, but I haven't exactly seen this pattern.

I'm more concerned with a two man team dropping against more communicative/organized larger groups of players, especially when mentioning "new" and "player" together in the same string of words...

Maybe a mentor program could help this? Suggestion: Any Tier player can create a “mentor group” and invite another member into the drop of a Tier rating between 3-5. This “mentor group” can then que up into the solo que?

Any thoughts or opinions? (I am probably going to get shot down for this, since there are probably more cons then pros... like potential seal clubbing abuse)

#12 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:21 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 13 July 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

Maybe a mentor program could help this? Suggestion: Any Tier player can create a “mentor group” and invite another member into the drop of a Tier rating between 3-5. This “mentor group” can then que up into the solo que?

Any thoughts or opinions? (I am probably going to get shot down for this, since there are probably more cons then pros... like potential seal clubbing abuse)

The issue falls into the tier seperation for MM. If a T1 paired off with a T5 (possible alt account, fyi), where would they throw the group? Into T1 matches, throwing a T5 against other T3-1 players? Or do they toss them into a T5 ranked match, so the T1 can thrash the lower skilled players?

Considering I've play an alt account and on the first match (T5), I managed to deal 800+ damage in a stock Raven trial mech and launched the account right into T4 after it's first match... would it be fair if I could do this nearly every match just by teaming up with a T5 player?

It presents a lot of questionable situations and potential for abuse. Not saying it isn't a good idea, because the idea does have merit. I'm just saying I don't think it could be plausible.

#13 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:51 PM

NO. Unnamed units already abuse syncrops. (BOONS, and 558*you know who I really mean). would be abused more.

#14 GamerPro4000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSian

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:06 PM

No. Plain and simple. Image a pack of lights with good coordination can do.

#15 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:30 PM

View PostCasey Nolan, on 10 June 2018 - 02:10 AM, said:

2 man team = 180 tonnes
3 man team = 240 tonnes

Could just use the group tonnage limit for 2, 3 and 4 player groups.
(not 1 player groups hehehehe)

Way back whenever it was we had the combined queue it worked pretty well.
Yes, you did come across a large group when solo dropping, but that was just the way things went.
Sometimes they were on your side, sometimes not.
At that stage in the game, the groups were limited by the class break down of 1/1/1/1 * 3
This still applies in solo queue where the match maker can make it work I believe.
But to simplify things in group queue it was changed to a tonnage limit according to the group size and that seems to go ok.

I would be in favour of combining the queues again, given how difficult it can be to get a game in the group queue now, but I would suggest we limit groups to a maximum of 4. A single lance.
Yes, a good group can swing a match, but we should expect some differences with the match maker and the tier system to have a more even balance with a greater number of players combined into the one queue.

What we see at the moment is groups that can't get a match in the group queue start to sync drop in solo queue, more often than not ending up on opposite sides, but it's a result of not being able to play the game.

I fear that with all the modes and queues we now that we simply do not have enough active population 24/7 to reliably get games and therefore need to seriously look at some alternatives.

Edited by 50 50, 13 July 2018 - 07:33 PM.

#16 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:20 AM

View PostTesunie, on 13 July 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

The issue falls into the tier seperation for MM. If a T1 paired off with a T5 (possible alt account, fyi), where would they throw the group? Into T1 matches, throwing a T5 against other T3-1 players? Or do they toss them into a T5 ranked match, so the T1 can thrash the lower skilled players?

Really, it should be the average tier of the players rounded down. Wouldn't put you anywhere all of you wouldn't be able to be matched with anyways.

#17 Nathaniel Hazen

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB, Canada

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 01 June 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

Honestly, I'd say as high as 3-man teams should be allowed outside the group queue. Just have them be able to drop into group or solo queue, whichever is ready sooner.

100% agree, for the reasons already stated in this thread.

View PostBTGbullseye, on 14 July 2018 - 12:20 AM, said:

Really, it should be the average tier of the players rounded down. Wouldn't put you anywhere all of you wouldn't be able to be matched with anyways.

This seems like the simplest solution to the unbalanced tier issue.

#18 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:33 PM

Nope. matchmakers struggling already in solo q to make decent games, this would further unbalance the situation.

First need to remove upward bias from MM so tiers mean more than an xp bar.

After that balance other stuff

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 18 July 2018 - 02:58 PM.

#19 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:43 PM

View PostTesunie, on 13 July 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Considering I've play an alt account and on the first match (T5), I managed to deal 800+ damage in a stock Raven trial mech and launched the account right into T4 after it's first match... would it be fair if I could do this nearly every match just by teaming up with a T5 player?

It presents a lot of questionable situations and potential for abuse. Not saying it isn't a good idea, because the idea does have merit. I'm just saying I don't think it could be plausible.

Sorry for the late reply, (and sorry for the necro)...

Sadly, it would recommend going off the mentor’s Teir. So if the mentor is T1, then the group enters the que at Tier 1.

#20 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:31 PM

This sounds like throwing two sharks in the kiddie pool. I voted no, but if PGI actually implemented it, prepare to be farmed.

Edited by Vxheous, 28 September 2018 - 03:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users