Complaining About The Quality Of Builds On Opposing Team

31 replies to this topic

#21 BWS2K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

Anytime folks get uppity in chat I tell them I love them. If they persist, so do I. <3

#22 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:59 AM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 03 June 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

I've seen a single-MG Atlas before.

Sometimes, you need to express your disapproval with this kind of team sabotage.

Ummm, yeah. That might have been me...

I was having a giggle.

View PostJC Daxion, on 03 June 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

side note or bug... solaris map you blow as soon as you hear the warning, no time to even react.

Not quite true, if you jump high enough you get the regular countdown.

Posted Image

#23 Popcat

• PipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

My apologies as a newer player I still misunderstand a few things.

Bombast: Builds that are spread so thin on their weaponry ~ unless El Banditos explanation was sufficient could you explain this better?

El Bandito: I totally never thought about projectile velocity I could totally see how that would make this mech an accuracy nightmare. What about "The range is all over the place": don't some people intentionally play some assault mechs with multi range since they are slow they can participate at all ranges the jack of all master of none concept? I myself prefer to focus on two ranges on every mech (Long and short or Medium and Long etc. . ) But my equipment is limited an works better this way.

Brain Cancer: Sometimes, you need to express your disapproval with this kind of team sabotage. you can do this. . .But I find trolls are doing it to get your attention. So when you call them out you find out they don't care an you get frustrated while they giggle and have more fun. I find it's better to ignore them while they waste their own time.

BWS2K I love it I totally do that to Posted Image Aww some one needs a friend Posted Image,I'm sorry your so lonely. I'll play with you! We can be buddies:) I can chat with you all night! Are you on tomorrow SO AM I! let be besties! Strange that people who want attention and dwell in the dark flee from love . . . sad really.

I actually had a troll harass me in through a match then message me. I just started being nice to him and it made him so mad that he reported me for harassment. Ya know people Posted Image

Edited by Popcat, 03 June 2018 - 12:24 PM.

#24 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:43 PM

View PostPopcat, on 03 June 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

Bombast: Builds that are spread so thin on their weaponry ~ unless El Banditos explanation was sufficient could you explain this better?

So generally, when you're build a mech, you should build it to a specific role. Generally, that means building it to attack at a certain range in a certain way.

For example, if I were to build a Victor VTR-9S, I would look at its hard points and quirks and what not and determine that I want to make a brawler out of it - A mech that fight at extremely close range. To accomplish this, I'd stick to close range weapons: namely, SRMs (Short Range Missiles) and an AC/20. These weapons work well together and are fired together, meaning that when I'm fighting, I'm always fighting with everything I have.

Another example would the Battlemaster BLR-1G, another assault mech. This one, however, I'd build for long range fighting - I'd put five or six ERLLs (Extended Range large Lasers) on it. Since their all the same weapon, they all perform the same, and so again, I can use them all at once when fighting.

A Kitchen Sink build doesn't do this. It includes several weapon systems that do no work in tandem. To use one of the previously provided examples...

Posted Image

This King Crab KGC-000B has no unified role or defined range. For long range it has a Large Laser and LRM15A, one weapon which is hit scan and one with require both travel time and a lock on. For brawling it has an AC/20, an LB10X, and a HMG. The two autocannons have different velocities, which means that to hit a target that's moving, you'd have to aim ahead of them, fire one weapon, re-aim, and then fire again. The HMG is hitscan, which means to use it you have to keep it aimed directly at the target. So you may not even be able to use it.

The Crab tries to do everything, and so ends up doing all things poorly. If that King Crab got into a fight with either the Battlemaster or the Victor, it would fail, because all those mechs have to do is stay at their preferred range and tear the Crab apart.

Edited by Bombast, 03 June 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#25 Popcat

• PipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:53 PM

Thank you very much for that explanation

#26 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

View PostPopcat, on 03 June 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

El Bandito: I totally never thought about projectile velocity I could totally see how that would make this mech an accuracy nightmare. What about "The range is all over the place": don't some people intentionally play some assault mechs with multi range since they are slow they can participate at all ranges the jack of all master of none concept? I myself prefer to focus on two ranges on every mech (Long and short or Medium and Long etc. . ) But my equipment is limited an works better this way.

Generally speaking, pick a range bracket and equip weapon to suit. I tend to have weapons from 1 or 2 adjacent brackets.

0-200m = "Backstab Range" = Machine guns, Small lasers, Micro lasers, Flamers

200-400m = "Short Range" = Medium lasers, IS Large Pulse lasers, SRMs, SSRMs, ATMs (best damage between 120-270m), Snub Nose PPCs, Heavy Gauss, class 20 ACs, Rocket Launchers (if you want them to hit)

400-600m = "Mid-Range" = PPCs (regular, Light & Heavy), Large lasers (IS, Heavy, Clan Pulse), ER Medium lasers (if you can spare the heat), MRMs, class 10 ACs, LRMs (if you want them to hit), Rotary ACs

600-800m = "Long Range" = ERPPCs, Gauss (regular & Light), class 5 ACs, class 2 ACs, ER Large lasers

800m+ = "Extreme Range" = Technically some class 2 ACs, Light Gauss, ERPPCs, LRMs & ATMs - I wouldn't really bother

#27 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

I think a major source of confusion is just the stock builds. Can't really fault the new player for taking them as a suggestion/recommendation.

#28 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

View PostPopcat, on 03 June 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

Thank you very much for that explanation

Keep asking questions Pop and you will get intelligent and informative answers like Bombast gave you.

Never stop asking them.

And props to Bombast for answering it so well!

#respect!

#29 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:12 PM

Have you ever considered those bad builds were made to troll you guys not the owner?

#30 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:51 AM

The other day, had a guy take an Atlas with no weapons other than a flamer and tag...There's absolutely no way this guy wasn't trolling.

In terms of salt or what have you from the enemy team...People get easily butt hurt. My schtic has been saying "gg wp" after every game. It doesn't matter if it was 12-11 or 12-0 or whatever, I usually say it. But I'll get one or two sometimes even three (woaaaaaah), that want to make it a big deal because I said "gg wp".

So! I tell them ggez instead.

TL/DR: People get easily offended over silly stuff, don't pay attention to it.

#31 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:47 AM

Really, it's all in the approach. If you are that concerned about someone's build or play style, try being helpful and asking if they would mind some pointers in a friendly way. Rattling off everything that is wrong with their Mech or their technique (shaming them) is the ideal way to put their back up and then they don't hear you at all. That just starts drama. If you can't be diplomatic or tactful and don't have the patience or intelligence to be respectful and earn respect, just keep your virtual mouth shut.

I've seen some fantastic folks in game apply this logic and just like in real life, it works so much better than being negative.

#32 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:33 AM

View PostAsym, on 03 June 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

There should be an event for the most obtuse and ineffective builds ! Those with the most damage, kills, kmdd's and assists get rewarded proportional to the ineffectiveness of their builds !

The Mg and Flamer Atlas...... Or, whatever the craziest build you cant think of !

Come on PGI, let's encourage them and have some unadulterated fun !

I thought that was just the trial mech event? :)

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users