Invisible Ground Ruining Game

19 replies to this topic

#1 Redscyte

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

I know im not along here. Iv seen streamers and youtubers all complain about this over and over. Why is this still a thing? Its been an issue since the LAUNCH OF THIS GAME! and gets worse and worse with each new map. What gives?

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:13 AM

Yeah PGI doesn't seem to care about making every object's hitboxes square shaped.

Edited by El Bandito, 02 June 2018 - 04:13 AM.

#3 Ade the Rare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

Seriously, "invisible ground" ruins the game for you?

Wow.

#4 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:42 AM

The "ground" pgi cannot really fix. This is part of CE terrian, the ground hitboxes are actually pretty accurate, until you are further away and then the dynamic subdiv LOD starts kicking in and then the render mesh no longer aligns with the collision mesh. It's basically the same thing as the object LOD and invis walls, except PGI could in fact have made better LODs in a lot of examples. They don't even really spend any time on hand editing LODs for the mech models so the objects (buildings, walls, spaceports, orbital guns(terrible hitbox on those lol) rocks/tourmalines etc) are unlikely to see much attention.

There was a time where they did actually collect bad hitbox feedback and players were posting screens and vids, and they actually addressed a lot of really bad ones. Shame that stopped happening

#5 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 02 June 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

The "ground" pgi cannot really fix. This is part of CE terrian, the ground hitboxes are actually pretty accurate, until you are further away and then the dynamic subdiv LOD starts kicking in and then the render mesh no longer aligns with the collision mesh.

I'm glad you brought that one up. I was thinking about the bug where the terrain texture becomes invisible allowing you to literally see through hills (objects would still render as normal). It's a handy one for FW when picking gates.

#6 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

View PostAde the Rare, on 02 June 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

Wow.

It is more than annoying.

Imagine you wall against zerg rush and the wall is solid and then zerg just warp through an invisible opening and kill you even though the wall looks solid.

Same in mwo.

Missing an entire alpha sux hard when you can clearly see the other mech and should land the shots but it just hits some invisible wall. Of course that sux hard. Specially in competitive tournaments thats more than annoying. Kinda game breakign actually. Imagine you loose the last, decisive match in a one on one scenario. You fire first vs cherry red CT and you hit an invisible wall.

Sux hard.

#7 Ade the Rare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:04 PM

Surely your opponent suffers the same disadvantage?

It relies on the pilot knowing the firing lines and their own hardpoint placements. It's not what I'd call "game breaking". I would however like to see more destructable terrain, to reflect the fact that the thin strips of metal the antenna I've just splattered with LB20X rounds aren't a better material to make mechs out of than endosteel.

#8 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 June 2018 - 04:13 AM, said:

Yeah PGI doesn't seem to care about making every object's hitboxes square shaped.

Well, there is an associated performance cost to perfection, a cost which the target potato computers just cannot handle. Posted Image

#9 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:15 PM

View PostAde the Rare, on 02 June 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

Wow.

A guy pokes up over a hill, you take aim at his clearly exposed torso, you fire. Your rounds impact invisible hitboxes in front of his 'mech and he takes no damage, and returns fire at you, hitting you.

Maybe "ruins" is a bit excessive, but this is definitely one of the worst aspects of the game.

#10 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:51 PM

What I hate worse is the "sticky" terrain that grabs hold of your mech after jumping or colliding into a hill or building. Usually it lets you go with some leg damage but sometimes you're stuck the entire match.

#11 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:24 PM

View PostMystere, on 02 June 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

Well, there is an associated performance cost to perfection, a cost which the target potato computers just cannot handle. Posted Image

Yet another reason why QP should go back to 8v8. Less burden on potato computers then.

Edited by El Bandito, 02 June 2018 - 06:24 PM.

#12 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:21 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 June 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

Yet another reason why QP should go back to 8v8. Less burden on potato computers then.

I'd rather PGI stopped taking potato computers into consideration. Posted Image Posted Image

#13 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:30 AM

View PostMystere, on 03 June 2018 - 05:21 AM, said:

I'd rather PGI stopped taking potato computers into consideration. Posted Image Posted Image

What we call potato computer, is actually considered average in many places. My gaming computer is far above average, and can effortlessly play a lot of modern games on high settings, but when I play MWO there are framerate issues on many maps. MWO is just not a computer friendly game, period. Which is why PGI should lower the participants to 8v8 in QP, so more players can enjoy playing this game.

#14 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:38 AM

Makes PPCs useless, hurts to much to see procjectiles hit the ground while your heat bumps to 70% at once. Only good for jumping mechs and even then there is a better weapon.

Edited by Quandoo, 03 June 2018 - 05:40 AM.

#15 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

View PostMystere, on 03 June 2018 - 05:21 AM, said:

You'd certainly appreciate the already thin match selection suddenly plummeting, too.

PGI is not notable for optimization or even thinking about this issue when making new content.

#16 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:20 PM

This integrity trashing joke of a bug/feature should have been patched years ago.

Polar Highlands is the worst offender of this. You can shoot at a fully exposed mech at mid range and hit nothing. Take one step forward and 10 meters of extra terrain height just pops in. It would be unacceptable in any FPS game, let alone one that is all about hiding behind hills.

#17 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:12 AM

Grim Plexus is another one with some glaring invisible walls that boggle my mind. Anything with a weird rock formation has a goofy invisible wall. Surprisingly, I haven't seen any that are glaringly bad on Solaris. One of the most annoying things I come across is if I'm trying to barely poke out of cover to take a shot and...I get an invisible wall. It's better too when you're a fat assault, expose yourself, hit the invisible wall, but you're out just enough for you to be punished.

#18 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:33 AM

View Postocular tb, on 02 June 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

What I hate worse is the "sticky" terrain that grabs hold of your mech after jumping or colliding into a hill or building. Usually it lets you go with some leg damage but sometimes you're stuck the entire match.

For pilots who have fun with speed and JJs this aspect is absolutely horrible.

I died more than once because of that...

#19 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:02 AM

Invisible walls have always been an issue, particularly on Tormaline. People still vote the crap out of that map anyways, which is just beyond me. It is very, very annoying, particularly with PPCs that will find every bit of hidden terrain in their path.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users