I Think The Flea Will Be Better Off Piloted With A Stick

16 replies to this topic

#1 Black Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:07 AM

No joke here, and I mean joystick for the legs ofcourse..
The reason I say this is mostly because of the way accel\decel works - in most cases pressing the full stop button and then forward will be fast enough to not bottleneck the mech's accel\decel values, but with a 20 tonner with MASC I think that wont do, which means you'll either have to use the reverse direction button or the numpad keys which I think will be very clumsy.
I don't have any experience with a joystick though so I can't really be sure about this.
Anyway, just my thought... feel free to share yours

P.S driving that little bugger with a joystick also sounds a lot more fun Posted Image

#2 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:20 AM

I have used reverse (or S key) for 5+ yrs now. Its not that clunky its no more clunky then any other game that uses W A S D which is most PC games.

Also have used Num Pad just as long to cruise without holding W at whatever speed i need to keep with mechs even if they are slower. I have since day one used Throttle decay though because of my light mech love.

Joystick is always gonna up the FUN level IMO but for a competitive game Mouse and keyboard are the only way to not be clunky and cumbersome. Joysticks just dont have that speed of a mouse that i have seen at least but i am like you and dont really have one anymore and have not used one in years.

Edited by Revis Volek, 03 June 2018 - 08:27 AM.

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:20 AM

Three words:

Throttle decay on.

#4 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:47 AM

I know some folks use a stick+mouse.. i never tried it, but maybe i should.. could be nice if you have a nice stick. I have a pretty solid thrushmaster..

Maybe i should fire it up in Training grounds and give it a whirl.. Hat up down for zoom, right left for strikes, twist for look, right left forward/reverse, coolshot, UAV and weapon group 4-5, and masc and JJ's mouse button 4 for chat..

Hmmmmmmm might work!

#5 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:54 AM

The dead-zone and imprecision of not having a direct translation of twist from stick to game is going to get you killed. As long as pushing it just tells it how fast to twist and not how far, you are boned.

#6 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

For the academy racing circuit? I agree!

#7 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

Get some rudder pedals Posted Image .

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#8 Popcat

• PipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

I think it would be cool if the mech warrior in the cockpit was running a stick shift :P Of course that would lead to clutch popping start up of your flea and clutch killing your fire ant right in front of that marauder!

#9 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:19 PM

That's what I do. Makes playing fast lights a very fun and rewarding experience. I say go for it.

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,841 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:54 PM

ive been using a throttle and pedals for years. though ive long since abandoned the stick for the mouse. the pedals you could live without provided you have some other way to turn your legs, but the throttle is real nice you can make changes much faster than you can with the keyboard. the mech will accelerate/decelerate to your setpoint as quickly as the game will allow.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 June 2018 - 03:56 PM.

#11 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,841 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:50 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 03 June 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

The dead-zone and imprecision of not having a direct translation of twist from stick to game is going to get you killed. As long as pushing it just tells it how fast to twist and not how far, you are boned.

mechwarrior 2 had the right idea, at least provided you had a springless frictioned twist handle and pitch axis. there wasnt anything like that on the market at the time, though you could mod a sidewinder. to get that you really had to roll your own stick. the cool thing about mechwarrior 2 is you can use your track ir as well for the vr experience (you have to emulate a joystick but it works). it has some of the best control features of any game ive played.

#12 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:14 PM

Here is an idea for you all. A steering wheel set combined with a joystick on a fast Light, such as a Locust or the Flea. Bind leg controls to the wheel and pedals, and the torso controls to the joystick. Turn on some Initial D tunes and run like crazy.

#13 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:25 PM

Stick and mouse is a very viable solution. Analog control of throttle and turning is a really nice combo because it allows for you to stay in the sweet spot for maneuverability once you have the proper muscle memory built. The bigger problem I find is that the throw of the stick itself can reduce your ability to react as quickly, as WASD is fairly instantaneous as far as thought to action is concerned.

#14 Black Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:21 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 03 June 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

Three words:

Throttle decay on.

I have to say I havent tried playing with throttle decay.. but I still hold W as a habit I guess :b
If it will do the trick then thats great, It just wasnt on my mind

Edited by Black Fish, 03 June 2018 - 10:44 PM.

#15 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 801 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:30 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 03 June 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

Some remarks on that:

HOSAM for analogous throttle / turn with stick and torso twist with mouse works extremely well.

For a stick to work on torso instead of a mouse you need proper hardware with a suitable configuration tool that allows remapping of direct-x channels for mouse X and mouse Y to joystick X and joystick Y. This already allows for analogous torso pitch and yaw with self centering. Bonus points if the configuration tool allows individual curves on each joystick axis that allows to create a proper relation between max torso yaw/pitch angles and max deflection on the stick.

With my twin TM16.000 I'm currently experimenting with mech specific joystick curves that translate the possible yaw/pitch angles over 90% of the possible joystick deflection and then the additional arm pitch/yaw with the remaining 10% ... including a deflection based arm lock / arm release. Overall certainly not as precise as mouse aiming but lots of fun.

And I haven't run into any noteworthy troubles with deadzones so far.

#16 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image

T16000M and TflightX throttle

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:34 AM

Sticks are fine as long as you're not using lasers, flamers or MGs while on the move -- which is a huge problem for the Flea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users