solaris limit drop deck

9 replies to this topic

#1 Naqser

• PipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

A Drop Deck of sorts has been suggested before, and I like that idea. Though I do not recall for what purpose it was.
However, hoping that it wasn't this idea, here's an idea building upon the Drop Deck.

A common complaint is that it's all the same top mechs.
What if players were to have drop decks with four-six bays, which are Chassis limited?
Then playing with a mech in the drop deck locks it from further usage untill all mechs in the drop deck have been used.

Long explanation:
>Chassis limitation
Basically, having a specific Chassi locks out all other variants from the drop deck. Meaning that if you put in a Piranha-1, even if you have all other variants mastered and available, you can't add them, you can swap out the Pir-1 to another variant, but you can never have more than one variant of a mech in the Drop Deck.

>Mech rotation:
Using a mech from the drop deck locks it, like mechs aren't usable if thet don't have enough heatsinks, or no engine. Or if it is in use in a match already. So, if the drop deck has 4 bays, and you've played two matches. Those two matches were with different mechs, neither of which can be used in the third match, and for that match you can only choose either of the two you haven't played with. Getting all mechs locked will unlock the Drop Deck and you can choose all of them again.

>Drop Deck lock:
Debatable, but still throwing it out.
Should the Drop Deck be locked after the first match? Only allowing loadout changes to mechs in it? But not swapping out mechs in the bays?
Or should you be allowed to swap out mechs not locked yet? I feel that would be the better option.

>Mech choice
After map has been "voted for", you select your mech from the pool of available mechs.

>Extra thoughts:
What if the Drop Decks had a minimum of 4 bays? Allowing you to bring more mechs to choose from, of you wanted to. The incentive to bring more mechs would be a Bonus after having played with all mechs, a bonus which'd be bigger the more mechs you'd have in your drop deck by the end of the rotation. This'd be Accolades, C-Bills and General XP. Heck, to really get it going, why not a small amount of MC after a certain amount of mechs in the Drop Deck? For instance, 8 mechs? The issue would be a limited amount of Chssis' in the divisions.
For that it could be done so that once there's one of each chassis in the drop deck, you can add another variant of an already existing Chassis in the Drop Deck. Tonnage limits would be out of the question though.

Not the best OR simplest of ideas, but surely it has some value?

#2 Scythe Kagato

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:44 AM

No.

#3 Naqser

• PipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:01 AM

View PostScythe Kagato, on 30 May 2018 - 12:44 AM, said:

No.

What an insightful response

#4 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:45 AM

Most of what you are attempting to do could be accomplished with a "repair cycle". The last mech you used in a division is not available until another mech is played in that division.

This can be countered with multiple duplicate mechs, but I bet PGI wouldn't have a problem with selling more mechs.

Edited by Surn, 30 May 2018 - 07:46 AM.

#5 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

I'd like it if Solaris was played Best 3 of 5 style, with players picking a 5 mech drop deck, with a tonnage limit of 250 or so. Picking something like an Annihilator first would be a very risky move then, because it's putting a LOT of tonnage into your first mech, and if your opponent drops something like a locust for his first mech, you've effectively wasted your most powerful mech swatting a fly. Would add a level of strategy I don't think is there right now.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 30 May 2018 - 08:22 AM.

#6 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

You are getting close to how my old league worked.

Although we had respawns, so you first mech played until it died.

#7 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

Kinda like it but also have my problem with it because in at least two division I have no more then 2 mechs I could play...yes I could buy more mechbays and mechs but....no S7 is something I like but there are more importend things to spend money on.

#8 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:34 PM

Aye you are just gating it from new players even harder. Thats why it is a bad idea.

#9 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

You can choose to play more than one 'Mech already without the mandatory bar to entry of having 4+ elited 'Mechs to play any division. This would pretty well kill Div 7 entirely, for example, as most people don't own more than the free Uziel and maybe one other of what are designated even by PGI as bad 'Mechs.

Forcing people to play bad matchups is just going to cause frustration in what's a 1v1 mode where you can usually figure out why you lost.

Edited by SmokedJag, 02 June 2018 - 02:20 PM.

#10 Popcat

• PipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

The biggest issue I see with a cool off period on your Solaris mech is that I only have two. I have two because I can't set my load out to Solaris in the stables and QP mode in the mech bay. So I have to swap back and forth. That's a waste of time. So I would just change two back to regular an not play. It fixed it so I had a stable build and a MechWarrior build then I would be ok with a cool down.

However since the idea of Solaris was the mech was as renowned as the warrior and blah blah blah . . .I could see several people having a issue that way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users